I know the Bengals will take Burrow, but...

DoleINGout

This league is all about the franchise QB. Even more so in this flag football era. You don't take anyone else when a Joe Burrow falls in your lap.  Sure the niners are in the big game mainly because of D but show me a defensive juggernaut that sustains over a decade....how about over 5 years? How about 3 years? Never seen one compete for the SB in back to back years since the 70s when the game was different.

You take the franchise QB everytime. You take Young and you may end up low end ham & egger, never sniffing the QB you need again as you finish in the 5-15 range every NFL draft.

In the modern NFL you don't pick #1, need a QB, and draft someone who's not a QB.  If you don't think that Burrow is the guy, you take the QB who you think is going to be the guy.

But "pass on taking a QB when you hold the #1 pick and you need a QB" sets you up for "you pick in the top 3 in back to back years" which is the sort of thing that gets everyone fired.  Since NFL decision makers are primarily motivated to protect their own jobs, taking the QB at least buys you a couple of years to find out if he's good or not. 

31 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Yeah Burrow will be a giant bust how dare any of you think he will be any good

He's very decorated as a college player, but not in the ways that typically lead to NFL success. I also don't think he'll be a good leader of men at the next level.

12 hours ago, lod01 said:

This league is all about the franchise QB. Even more so in this flag football era. You don't take anyone else when a Joe Burrow falls in your lap.  Sure the niners are in the big game mainly because of D but show me a defensive juggernaut that sustains over a decade....how about over 5 years? How about 3 years? Never seen one compete for the SB in back to back years since the 70s when the game was different.

You take the franchise QB everytime. You take Young and you may end up low end ham & egger, never sniffing the QB you need again as you finish in the 5-15 range every NFL draft.

All true but then Mike Brown might have to pay him real money and that can be a problem for Mike Brown :ph34r:

I genuinely have no idea how one can watch Joe Burrow and call him a glorified Jacobs Brissett.

Elite pocket awareness and movement

Elite touch

Elite poise

Elite leadership

Elite mental makeup

Elite size

Elite toughness

Athletic

GOAT College QB season

Pro Style Offense with full field and multiple reads and progressions

And you want a pass rusher instead? haha.

• Like 1

I originally thought that as well a few months back, but with how Burrow has looked against two fine defenses in Georgia and Clemson it is really really really hard to not be wildly impressed with his play.  He easily has had the best season any QB in college football history.  His completion percentage is insane, the touchdown number he had, the top 10 teams he beat throughout the season.... 

The guy is a freaking stud and without question will be the #1 pick overall.  Sure maybe he could bust but if he does it will be a surprise.  Because the guy is as pro ready as you can get, has great pocket awareness, fine work ethic, super accuracy, is a wonderful leader, his teammates love him, he is tough and can take a hit, can get away from pressure, throw on the move, comes from a family of football players and a father who was a high level defensive coordinator.  Oh and he as great confidence and a swagger about him, interviews well, can look off receivers, spreads the ball around, throws with great touch, can run for a first down quite well and it goes on and on......

Oh and he grew up in Ohio, if the Bengals trade away the pick and do not take Burrow their ticket sales will go in the garbage can.  There is absolutely no way he is not the #1 pick, local kid like that with that kind of story.  Just on ticket sales alone he is a lock #1 pick.  

If anything he is like Jared Goff, I do not get the Brissett comp at all.   Only difference between Goff and Burrow is that Burrow is way more confident, better speaking to his teammates and in public, is way cooler under pressure, is more athletic, more accurate, more physically tough and can take a hit and far more competitive and actually won big games in college.  If the Bengals can get a guy physically similar to the dude who was 3rd in the NFL in passing yards this year but is a much better version of him mentally and physically in almost every way, yeah do it.  

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Relevant question here

Not too sure. Even if it's 100% guaranteed that C. Young turns into a Khalil Mack-type player I'd still take Burrow. 
QB is 100% the most important position on a team and the Bengals are looking for one. We saw last year a great CHI defense (with Mack) not getting very far in the playoffs, primarily because of the QB position. Even with the chance of the QB busting, i'd still take him first in this scenario. Especially with Burrow, he's a special prospect for me regardless. 
The team isn't a elite defensive player away from SB contention. Bengals just went 2-14. They need a good rebuild, and the best step is to take a (potential) game-changing QB and strenghten the roster from there. 

19 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Explain. I think most folks find that assertion..shaky, at best...

Takes care of the ball with good decision making. Capped by slightly better than average athleticism and arm. Leadership qualities, but questionable as to if they are actually leaders. Winners? Sure, with only evidence being apart of a great supporting cast. Potential to improve? Certainly, but will take time like most quarterbacks in the right situations. Why Chase Young? Immediate impact a la Nick Bosa, best overall prospect/player, proven leader.