I know the Bengals will take Burrow, but...

DoleINGout

18 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

I don't know much about Yahoo Sports, but I found this article interesting. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/is-burrow-trying-to-avoid-being-drafted-by-bengals/ar-BBZwWJy?ocid=spartanntp

Are the Bengals stupid???

Even if Burrow is the obvious choice, it’s still part of their job to evaluate the other candidates. Not sure how that makes the Bengals stupid by taking the necessary steps to be more prepared come draft time. Plus, there is no competitive advantage to revealing your intentions in February. There’s nothing to see here.

11 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Are you not able to tell a smoke screen?  The team can't just come out and say they are taking him.  But, who else are they taking?  The NFL has too much $$ wrapped into the drat for the front office to end all suspense at the end of January.

Why bother with a smoke screen when you are picking #1 and there is a "homestate guy" coming off the best QB season in the history of CFB available? Let the mystery be with the other teams.

And on top of that, considering Herbert at #1 for any reason is downright stupid.....

7 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Why bother with a smoke screen when you are picking #1 and there is a "homestate guy" coming off the best QB season in the history of CFB available? Let the mystery be with the other teams.

And on top of that, considering Herbert at #1 for any reason is downright stupid.....

The Bengals are taking Burrow at #1.  Period.  They are just saying all the wrong things to get clicks on NFL sites.  Just like the media, specifically ESPN, is generating clicks by continuing to say Burrow should force his way out or refuse to report.

Just now, INbengalfan said:

The Bengals are taking Burrow at #1.  Period.  They are just saying all the wrong things to get clicks on NFL sites.  Just like the media, specifically ESPN, is generating clicks by continuing to say Burrow should force his way out or refuse to report.

You may be right. But I HATE all this media drama.

If Burrow refused to play for the Bengals, he couldn't live in Ohio anymore. If the Bengals came away from the draft with any other QB but Burrow, Mike Brown would be forced to either sell or move the team.

Just now, Steins Gate said:

You may be right. But I HATE all this media drama.

If Burrow refused to play for the Bengals, he couldn't live in Ohio anymore. If the Bengals came away from the draft with any other QB but Burrow, Mike Brown would be forced to either sell or move the team.

He isn't forcing anything.  It's all media driven.  He was spotted with his GF (who is from the greater Cincy area) looking for homes with an agent.  Take what you will from that.  His parents are only a couple of hours away (I drive that far for games every home game too.... not too far away that he'd want to move).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

No, it’s not. Putting the blinders on and not evaluating the rest of the class would be stupid.

Burrow is going #1. But at the same time there’s nothing wrong with doing your homework, especially when someone like Herbert is at your disposal at the Senior Bowl. 

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

No, it’s not. Putting the blinders on and not evaluating the rest of the class would be stupid.

Burrow is going #1. But at the same time there’s nothing wrong with doing your homework, especially when someone like Herbert is at your disposal at the Senior Bowl. 

As a Bengals fan, how would you feel if there was a trade down with let's say MIA? CIN gets #5 (Herbert), #18, #39 and MIA gets #1 (Burrow).

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don’t know how they would pull it off, would need pick 2 and 3 or pick.2 and 4 but I’d take Tua/Chase combo over Burrow quite easily. I’m sure most Bengal fans would too. 

I just proposed a doable scenario. Other than trading the next 10 years worth of 1st round picks, I don't see how yours is doable....

29 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Awful. I’d give up on the team.

And this is my point.  This is unacceptable to you even in a trade down. Let alone taking Herbert at #1 and not getting extra picks. 

So why even bother scouting any other QBs? Scout other positions knowing you have the QBOTF locked up. 

Edited by Steins Gate

3 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

And this is my point.  This is unacceptable to you even in a trade down. Let alone taking Herbert at #1 and not getting extra picks. 

So why even bother scouting any other QBs? Scout other positions knowing you have the QBOTF locked up. 

Have you never heard of window shopping?  You can look without buying.  Burrow wasn't at the Senior Bowl.  herbert was.  They coached him.  So they evaluated him.  What if they learn things they could exploit playing against him?  I feel like you take a casual look way too seriously.  The Bengals are taking Burrow.  

You always evaluate just in case.  Last Sunday is proof that nothing is guaranteed in life. Te year we took Palmer, there was a CB coming out of Oregon State (Dennis Weathersby) that was projected to go mid first round, and everyone knew we were taking Palmer.  A week before the draft, Weathersby was shot in the leg in a random drive-by (or something like that).  He slipped to the fourth round.  If we hadn't evaluated him because we knew we were taking Palmer, we might not have had enough info on him to gamble on him in the fourth.

1 minute ago, INbengalfan said:

Have you never heard of window shopping?  You can look without buying.  Burrow wasn't at the Senior Bowl.  herbert was.  They coached him.  So they evaluated him.  What if they learn things they could exploit playing against him?  I feel like you take a casual look way too seriously.  The Bengals are taking Burrow.  

You always evaluate just in case.  Last Sunday is proof that nothing is guaranteed in life. Te year we took Palmer, there was a CB coming out of Oregon State (Dennis Weathersby) that was projected to go mid first round, and everyone knew we were taking Palmer.  A week before the draft, Weathersby was shot in the leg in a random drive-by (or something like that).  He slipped to the fourth round.  If we hadn't evaluated him because we knew we were taking Palmer, we might not have had enough info on him to gamble on him in the fourth.

I see what you are saying. Due diligence and all that.

Maybe Burrow gets shot in a drive-by..... The Bengals are considering at drafting Herbert at #1....

But if it were me, Chase Young would be the pick. No extra scouting needed. 

19 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

I see what you are saying. Due diligence and all that.

Maybe Burrow gets shot in a drive-by..... The Bengals are considering at drafting Herbert at #1....

But if it were me, Chase Young would be the pick. No extra scouting needed. 

Thankfully it's not you, and Burrow will be the pick.  Although they are going to look closely at Young too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Thankfully it's not you, and Burrow will be the pick.  Although they are going to look closely at Young too

I wasn't saying that I would take Young over Burrow. I happen to like Burrow more than any QB prospect in years. Chase Young would be the pick if something happened to Burrow.