NFL to try new onside kick rule for pro bowl

Manny/Patrick

25 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's going to be hilarious when a team tries this, the play goes nowhere, but a defensive holding way away from the play results in a first down.

I'm seriously interested in so many dynamics here:

*What do you do on penalties that result in automatic first downs? How will officials officiate/be instructed to officiate this.

The offense will take over at the dead ball spot! So, serious question: What team will finally go ALL IN on analytics and completely take over and do the risk/weight analysis on giving Patrick Mahomes/insert dominant QB here the football anywhere, let alone with an "extra 10 yard head start"? To me, and analytics I'd almost guarantee will back me (unless you're playing against a "meh" offense with a great defense like the Bills, this year's Patriots, etc.), NO ONE SHOULD EVER DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN THIS AGAIN.

*Them choosing the 25 and not the 15 is NOT arbitrary. They want the defense to have to cover an extra 10 yards of space. They want more teams to do this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The offense will take over at the dead ball spot! So, serious question: What team will finally go ALL IN on analytics and completely take over and do the risk/weight analysis on giving Patrick Mahomes/insert dominant QB here the football anywhere, let alone with an "extra 10 yard head start"? To me, and analytics I'd almost guarantee will back me (unless you're playing against a "meh" offense with a great defense like the Bills, this year's Patriots, etc.), NO ONE SHOULD EVER DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN THIS AGAIN.

1 minute ago, titanrick said:

They get the ball on their own 25, not the other teams.

Scratch my above statement from the record. That makes a whole lot more sense.

Genius idea very similar to the Schiano plan, which should've been implemented back when he original proposed it. I hope it makes it into the NFL next season and then we can tweak location and distance after we have a strong sample size of data.

Jon Bois broke it down in 2017 and I was immediately convinced that it's a better alternative than the traditional kickoff and preserves the ability of a team to retain possession, as an onside kick does.

Edited by Nozizaki
  • Like 1