NFL to try new onside kick rule for pro bowl

Manny/Patrick

11 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

It's a horrible idea in my opinion. Leave it as it is. 

or just let guys run 5 yards on kickoffs where they are doing the onside within the last 4-5 minutes of the game. that way its back to the old onside kick rules in certain situations only 

I like the idea. It’s fun. I think there will still be teams that just go with the traditional onside kick for the ‘surprise’ factor but I think this will make things more entertaining. I also think that overall this will be used very rarely, even when compared to historical onside kick numbers. With a traditional onside kick, you can run it down 7 with 2:20 to go and a time-out and still potentially get the ball back down 7 even if it doesn’t work. With this, if you fail, you are going to be down at least 10 if you get the ball back. The other team is automatically within chip shot range the second the pass is incomplete. 

The biggest question I would have is about offensive penalties. If there is a hold or OPI, do you have to run it back and it becomes 4th and 25 or can you take 10 yards off the kickoff and kick it. 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

or just let guys run 5 yards on kickoffs where they are doing the onside within the last 4-5 minutes of the game. that way its back to the old onside kick rules in certain situations only 

Do XFL style, toss the ball downfield and let two guys sprint and recover it...

Onside kick pre-rule change had about a 12-20 percent chance of hitting IIRC (overall close to 15 percent).   Now unless it’s ATL gadget kicker Koo it’s like 1 in 40.  The league clearly wants to restore the hope that trailing teams might catch up.   

As long as 4th and 15 has similar odds of converting and it doesn’t allow more than possession at their own 40 with a conversion, I’m not sure I get the angst.  If they allow any extra yardage beyond their own 40 / score to count on the play, I get the angst.   But if they limit the conversion to start at their own 40 it seems to recreate the impact of the old onside kick.  Without the safety issues.   

Now if they find this converts way higher than old onside kick conversions, then next year make it 4th and 20.   I’m guessing the 4th and 15 was chosen because the conversion rates were similar.  

Edited by Broncofan

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Onside kick pre-rule change had about a 10 percent chance of hitting IIRC.   Now unless it’s ATL gadget kicker Koo it’s like 1 in 50.   The league clearly wants to restore the hope that trailing teams might catch up.   

As long as 4th and 15 has similar odds of converting and it doesn’t allow more than possession at their own 40 with a conversion, I’m not sure I get the angst.  If they allow any extra yardage beyond their own 40 / score to count on the play, I get the angst.   But if they limit the conversion to start at their own 40 it seems to recreate the impact of the old onside kick.  Without the safety issues.   

Now if they find this converts way higher than old onside kick conversions, then next year make it 4th and 20.   I’m guessing the 4th and 15 was chosen because the conversion rates were similar.  

I don't have the stats to back it up, but I feel that 4th and 15 is bellow 10 percent conversion rate. 

The sample size is probably small, but still... 

The problem I have with it is that, it's apparently a low conversion play, teams will be trying to fish for penalties like there's no tomorrow. Will a holding penalty result in a 1st down like a normal play? 

The biggest concern with rules and officiating is PI and the way they weren't reviewing it, and so far, I've seen no one talking about changes to it. 

Onsides are broken and need fixing, but there are more important things to discuss. 

Honesty this just feels like a smokescreen and it's bizarre they are announcing it when there's still 1 game left to play. 

Edited by kramxel
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, kramxel said:

I don't have the stats to back it up, but I feel that 4th and 15 is bellow 10 percent conversion rate. 

The sample size is probably small, but still... 

The problem I have with it is that, it's apparently a low conversion play, teams will be trying to fish for penalties like there's no tomorrow. Will a holding penalty result in a 1st down like a normal play? 

The biggest concern with rules and officiating is PI and the way they weren't reviewing it, and so far, I've seen no one talking about changes to it. 

Onsides are broken and need fixing, but there are more important things to discuss. 

Honesty this just feels like a smokescreen and it's bizarre they are annoinging when there's still 1 game left to play. 

Yeah I hear the concern.  But if it’s 4th and 15 that’s easier to avoid.   The TEN-KC 3rd and 17 where DB took DPI was clearly bad awareness.   It’s still going to generate heat (as would illegal contact or roughing the passer, etc.). 

It’s also why I absolutely would push for a conversion only getting ball at own 40 - nothing more.  It will be bad enough if a penalty leads to a conversion.   The conversion to the 40 should be the best case scenario.   Even then there will be critics.  But it won’t impact win probability more than with a conversion the old way (onsides recovery).  That’s a major revision that’s needed to the present idea.  

Edited by Broncofan

Just allow the drop kick and remove the fair catch aspect

Punter pooches it way up high and everyone goes to catch it like it's a hail mary pass

Make them line up exactly as they do now

The reason they changed the original onside kick was because there were too many violent collisions when guys tried to pick up a bouncing ball as the lines ran into each other. The ball being airborne would eliminate most of that risk and it would become either a jump ball or a fumble scramble

9 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah I hear the concern.  But if it’s 4th and 15 that’s easier to avoid.   The TEN-KC 3rd and 17 where DB took DPI was clearly bad awareness.   It’s still going to generate heat (as would illegal contact or roughing the passer, etc.). 

It’s also why I absolutely would push for a conversion only getting ball at own 40 - nothing more.  It will be bad enough if a penalty leads to a conversion.   The conversion to the 40 should be the best case scenario.   Even then there will be critics.  But it won’t impact win probability more than with a conversion the old way (onsides recovery).  That’s a major revision that’s needed to the present idea.  

I like your idea of a convertion always leading to having the ball at their 40.

It doesn't limit the play itself, as teams can be beat deep, but limits the random factor.