2020 Offseason Mock

Bishop86

According to Sportac, we have about 45.78 in salary cap.  The rookie salaries are expected to cost about 11.93 this year, leaving us with 33.85 mil to work with. 

Resign:

G. Glasgow- 5 yrs; 50 mil (40 guaranteed)      first year cap hit of 6 mil, then 10, 11, 11, &12

T. Wilson- 2 yrs; 11 mil (8 mil guar.)

R. Melvin- 2 yrs; 5 mil (4 guar.)

M. Killebrew- 1 yr; 800k

J. McKissic- 1 yr; 850k   (RFA)

M. Ford- 1 yr; .55k   (ERFA)

That's about $18.9 mil; enough to splurge on 1-2 super solid upgrades.  After careful consideration, my upgrades would be:

J. Pierre-Paul-  1yr, 6 mil (w/ incentives)

I think I have a very different idea of how good Glasgow was compared to this.  No way am I giving him 40 Mil guaranteed or 10 mil a year average.  Maybe cut that in half and Id consider keeping him but honestly think a mid round pick would be just as good for a lot cheaper.  

Bringing in JPP I am iffy on.  I think it would be decent but he is aging and would be hard to depend on. 

I really like what McKissic has done for us. I'd rather give him the 2nd round tender in case some team tries to steal him out from underneath us. If you give him original round tender, we wind up with nothing as he as a UDFA. 

I like Glasgow but I just don't see the Lions re-signing him for some reason. Maybe they let him test the waters and he comes back? I dunno.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 12:08 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

I think I have a very different idea of how good Glasgow was compared to this.  No way am I giving him 40 Mil guaranteed or 10 mil a year average.  Maybe cut that in half and Id consider keeping him but honestly think a mid round pick would be just as good for a lot cheaper.  

Bringing in JPP I am iffy on.  I think it would be decent but he is aging and would be hard to depend on. 

5 guards got 11 mil just last year alone, 2 were Cody Whitehair and Ali Marpet. The market is the market at this point. That's why Detroit likely lets him walk

2 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

5 guards got 11 mil just last year alone, 2 were Cody Whitehair and Ali Marpet. The market is the market at this point. That's why Detroit likely lets him walk

I get it, but I dont think he was even that good.  He was serviceable at best and would be ok bringing back for continuity but its not like he was a positive asset to the line.  He just wasnt a big negative. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I get it, but I dont think he was even that good.  He was serviceable at best and would be ok bringing back for continuity but its not like he was a positive asset to the line.  He just wasnt a big negative. 

Eh, I thought he was in the "good" range, but nowhere near $10M.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Everyone slamming giving Glasgow $10 mil per has to realize that is the market for a top half guard. He's got versatility and familiarity, and we are asking him to stay in a widely considered undesirable location. Quin's first priority as GM was to fix the OL, he's not foolish enough to just throw away progress and constantly chase inefficiencies from year to year .  

8 hours ago, Bishop86 said:

Everyone slamming giving Glasgow $10 mil per has to realize that is the market for a top half guard. He's got versatility and familiarity, and we are asking him to stay in a widely considered undesirable location. Quin's first priority as GM was to fix the OL, he's not foolish enough to just throw away progress and constantly chase inefficiencies from year to year .  

I think most of us get that, the question is just how good has he been.

He was average at best before last year, and was good this season. 

Versatility is nice, but for 10mil at Guard, I think you need to be really good at Guard. I suppose if we think his trajectory is pointing up, then it would be a wise move.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bishop86 said:

Oh he's going to let him walk probably , but he's also legit worth 10 mil+ on the open market. Both can be true. Dahl out played him last year at G and Frank and Decker are both more valuable. I think they go cheap at RG, let Wagner and Crosby hold down RT one more year and invest big in a RT in 2021, likely with a first round pick. JMO

1 hour ago, detroitroar said:

I think most of us get that, the question is just how good has he been.

He was average at best before last year, and was good this season. 

Versatility is nice, but for 10mil at Guard, I think you need to be really good at Guard. I suppose if we think his trajectory is pointing up, then it would be a wise move.

The top G gets 15 mil, so he only needs to be about 2/3 as good as an elite G for 10 mil for some perspective