Jump to content
Karnage84

6 ROUND DRAFT - RELOADED WITH OFF-SEASON V 1.0

Recommended Posts

I decided to extrapolate my 6 round draft and include a bit of a free agency period to see how it would affect the draft selections. A couple changes to keep things interesting.

RETIRE

D. Harrison

RE-SIGN

D. Amendola

M. Daniels

A. Robinson

FREE AGENCY

Arik Armstead, DE/DT - 5 years, $80M = $16M APY >The Lions finally land a dominant End opposite of their star DE in an effort to rebuild the line

Byron Jones, CB/S - 4 Years, $48M = $12M APY > Jones has been a very solid corner and should see a nice payday. He has positional versatility (CB and S) and can play inside/out. A nice player to pair opposite of Slay and potentially replace him as CB1

Jordan Howard, RB - 1 Year - $1.4M > This isn't a stable group and he comes over as Undlin has seen what he can do first hand. Not a lock to make the roster but he is given a chance to compete for the starting job

DRAFT

**AVAILABLE PLAYERS SELECTED USING MATT MILLER OF B/R BOARD ON FANSPEAK**

Miami trades up to select Tua at #3. Lions receive

#5, #26, #56 + Josh Rosen*

Rd 1 #5 - Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State - The Lions need to add guys to this secondary to make plays. If they want to continue to run 3-man rushes, they need a number of excellent coverage guys. Slay has needed the Robin to his Batman - now he's going to wind up with Robin (Okudah) and Nightwing (Jones). Oruwariye shows some promise but he's a 5th rd pick. This gives us some security if Slay does decide he wants to be moved or if the Lions decide to trade him this year or next. This is also "Justin Coleman is a bust" insurance. 

#26 - Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma - The LB position was a complete mess this year. Tavai had some flashes but he's going to need help. Not sure what the Lions plan on doing with Jarrad Davis but they're going to need to replace Christian Jones sooner rather than later anyway. Murray is a sideline to sideline guy. 

Rd 2 #35 - Jacob Eason, QB, Washington: A big armed, prototypical QB. He is somewhat raw as he has bounced around from Georgia to Washington. His decision making hasn't been great but he offers up a lot of tools. Stafford is the guy moving forward but adding Eason and Rosen to the room gives the Lions flexibility if he is down with an injury or if they choose to trade him in the next couple years.

#56 - Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma - We have no idea what will happen on the defensive line. I don't see a wholesale change up on the defensive line but I'm not convinced Snacks is going to be back. Gallimore has some work to do but he has really good size and is very athletic. Could develop some pass rushing moves but has the body of a run stuffer

Rd 3 #67 - Curtis Weaver, EDGE, Boise State - Has good size to line up in Kennard's Jack LB spot or as an End. Can be moved around to different spots along the DL, very versatile. 

Rd 4 #106 - Damien Lewis, OG, LSU: He has been a dependable and consistent performer on that LSU OL. He played RG which is the position the Lions really need to fill and they'll be seeing him at the Senior Bowl first hand. 

Rd 5 # 149 - Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota - This is a super deep WR draft and there will be some good players drop while teams have to fill other needs. Johnson has some nice size and could be a nice compliment to Golladay and an eventual replacement to Marvin Jones.

#171 - Shaq Quarterman, LB, Miami - Quarterman is an old school MLB. He has the ideal size for the Lions at 240+ lbs. Team leader, high character guy. He seems to be a lot of what Jarrad Davis is but at a fraction of the price. 

Rd 6 #182 - Greg Eisworth, S, Iowa State: Great size at 6'0, 205 lbs. Is an in the box safety with the potential to develop into a versatile guy. Is a guy that has a chance to push Will Harris at SS with some time to develop

DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART

DE - Flowers, Okwara

DT - Daniels

DT - Gallimore, Robinson

DE - Armstead, Hand

SLB (Jack) - Kennard, Weaver, Bryant

MLB - Tavai, Davis, Quarterman

WLB - Murray, Jones

CB - Slay, Oruwariye

CB - Jones, Coleman

CB - Okudah

FS - Walker

SS - Harris, Wilson, Eisworth

OFFENSIVE DEPTH CHART

LT - Decker

LG - Dahl

OC - Ragnow

RG - Lewis

RT - Wagner

QB - Stafford, Eason, Rosen

RB - Howard, K. Johnson, Scarborough, T. Johnson, McKissic

WR - Golladay, M. Hall

WR - M. Jones, Tyl. Johnson

SWR - Amendola

TE - Hockenson, James, Thomas

FB - Nauta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats a lot of money to give a DE that averaged 2.5 sacks a year until this year.  He wont have Bosa eating up blocks opposite him so not sure I'd be happy giving him a deal similar to Flowers.  If he were to sign for 8-10Mil a year I'd be much happier with that.  I like the draft but no point in getting Rosen unless we flip him.  If we draft Eason that high (which I am not super high on him but understand it) he will be our backup and I doubt we keep 3 QBs.  I do like the D in the end.  Would like to see something spent on O line instead of Eason as I think Wagner is done.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Thats a lot of money to give a DE that averaged 2.5 sacks a year until this year.  He wont have Bosa eating up blocks opposite him so not sure I'd be happy giving him a deal similar to Flowers.  If he were to sign for 8-10Mil a year I'd be much happier with that.  I like the draft but no point in getting Rosen unless we flip him.  If we draft Eason that high (which I am not super high on him but understand it) he will be our backup and I doubt we keep 3 QBs.  I do like the D in the end.  Would like to see something spent on O line instead of Eason as I think Wagner is done.  

Yeah - as I went through things I noticed Wagner was still in place here. With the way that things played out last year, I don't think we can rule out carrying 3 QB's. Rosen isn't very valuable and is essentially a throw in from the Dolphins before the draft plays out. Eason offers up a lot more upside to be our QBOTF. 

I get your point on Armstead. This is a contract that is in line with what Spotrac has as market value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Yeah - as I went through things I noticed Wagner was still in place here. With the way that things played out last year, I don't think we can rule out carrying 3 QB's. Rosen isn't very valuable and is essentially a throw in from the Dolphins before the draft plays out. Eason offers up a lot more upside to be our QBOTF. 

I get your point on Armstead. This is a contract that is in line with what Spotrac has as market value. 

I really don't see Eason as a QBOTF, so I guess I'd just wait and take another QB in the mid rounds if we need to.  Or likely he, or Love, or Hurts will drop to the mid rounds and I would be fine with any of them.  

If that is Armsteads market value, I will let someone else spend the money.  Unproductive until this year and although I think he would fit our D well, it may be more related to Bosa's emergence than anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like most of it. I LOVE the Jones signing but not so much the Armstead or Ashawn signings. Also, if we sign Jones and not trade Slay I doubt Lions would take Okudah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the trade down, although I'm not personally interested in Rosen. Again, wouldn't be mad if he was tossed into a deal.

The FA contracts are massive, which I don't love, but that defense would be vastly improved from this year. Jones also gives us flexibility in case Slay decides to holdout, or if he moves on after this year.

The team looks good. If this happened, although the contracts scare me, I think the inevitable wins would make it all feel better.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

like the trade down and getting Rosen(im working on a mock where we get him to) but i dont think we need to draft Eason if we have Rosen imo.id rather us get another position filled there. good job overall tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BZski said:

I like most of it. I LOVE the Jones signing but not so much the Armstead or Ashawn signings. Also, if we sign Jones and not trade Slay I doubt Lions would take Okudah.

I agree with the bold.  Thats a lot of resources tied up in CB with Coleman, Slay and Jones all making over 10M and then Okudah in the top 5.  Could likely not sign Jones and this mock would be about the same for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree with the bold.  Thats a lot of resources tied up in CB with Coleman, Slay and Jones all making over 10M and then Okudah in the top 5.  Could likely not sign Jones and this mock would be about the same for me.  

Slay would likely be traded - either before the deadline or into the next off-season. Jones is brought in to be CB1b and Okudah should eventually develop into CB1a but he's a rookie. Jones has a lot of positional versatility so he could be moved around. The Coleman signing has not worked wonders so far and he could be a cut candidate. So there likely isn't the log jam that it appears to be when all is said and done. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Slay would likely be traded - either before the deadline or into the next off-season. Jones is brought in to be CB1b and Okudah should eventually develop into CB1a but he's a rookie. Jones has a lot of positional versatility so he could be moved around. The Coleman signing has not worked wonders so far and he could be a cut candidate. So there likely isn't the log jam that it appears to be when all is said and done. 

I don't disagree with this. I'm skeptical on the Slay situation: I don't see him staying with the Lions past this year, and I don't think his trade value will ever be higher than it is now. Adding a legitimate CB and drafting Okudah isn't a bad strategy long term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only pick I don't care for is Eason.  With us getting Rosen, there is no reason to waste a high pick on a QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tonkabd said:

The only pick I don't care for is Eason.  With us getting Rosen, there is no reason to waste a high pick on a QB.

Not an unfair statement. The thought process is that a) Rosen is brought in at essentially a round 5 or 6 value with an opportunity to compete as a veteran back up. b) Eason has the size, weight, arm strength that is more in line with what the Lions want in their offense. Rosen is no sure thing and they want to develop a guy behind Stafford as QBOTF. 

I do think moving forward the team is going to lean towards carrying 3 QB's until they have a better handle on Stafford's health. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...