Is Jimmy Garoppolo underrated?

Elky

Rotoworld called him SF's weak link.

Cowherd called him a game manager.

Someone on this ofrum thinks SF would be better with Nick Mullens starting.

Yet, SF was one of the worst teams in the league without him.

3 minutes ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

He’s some where between Alex Smith  (Chiefs era) and Matt Ryan. Really good, good enough to help his team win a Super Bowl if they have good weapons and a great defense (like this year) but he isn’t a “put my team on my back” kind of guy.

Alex Smith is a good comparison I think. He can get you to where you want to go but I don't think he will ever be a guy who can take games over with his arm and pass 35+ times per game.

He plays within the system that is asked of him very well but I don't think he will be leading any explosive passing attack offenses

• Like 1

I think he's absolutely underrated. Lots of people talking like if SF has to throw more than 10 times they're guaranteed to lose or something. Like, didn't we just witness him outduel Drew Brees a couple weeks ago? He's MORE than capable of handling whatever the team needs to win.

The thing with Jimmy G is that it's hard to grasp just how good he is because SF's primary passing concepts are slants and short passes. Jimmy G ranked 29th in the NFL in deep ball attempts, 27th in the NFL at pass attempt distance. He gets LOTS of YAC off of the short throws, so it's hard to truly judge how good of a QB he is.

But in general, I absolutely agree that he's underrated. He's not a liability or a crux of any sort.

• Like 2

On O, he's definitely their weakest link ... this year.    Guys in year 1 post-ACL are nowhere near full explosion and athleticism.  And trusting the knee enough to step into and throw with pressure is very hard.   Wentz his first year back had exactly the same issues.   Thing is, the run game and D don't need him to be great - but it doesn't mean he can't be.  Just keep in mind this isn't the peak version of JimmyG you are likely seeing from 2020+....this year, though, it makes him more vulnerable.

As for 2018, let's also recognize the SF D was awful.   Bosa/Ford & Alexander at ILB, plus a fully healthy Sherman, and a mass of depth acquired from the draft, transformed the D.   Not to mention that Sanders & Deebo have revived the pass game to be more than just Kittle & co.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

Why can't it just be an accurate assessment of one of the most balanced rosters in the league? On Offence I'd argue the WR position group is worse but that's it, the roster the 49ers have assembled is pretty damn strong (or at least this year everyones playing at a pretty high level). He's had a handful of "big" games but that's it.

36 minutes ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

He’s some where between Alex Smith  (Chiefs era) and Matt Ryan. Really good, good enough to help his team win a Super Bowl if they have good weapons and a great defense (like this year) but he isn’t a “put my team on my back” kind of guy.

Smith is good comp. I wouldn't have him ranked anywhere near Ryan. He's a Top 12-16-ish QB. There's nothing wrong with that. He's only played two seasons worth of games IIRC as the starter. It's not a bad thing.

He WAS, wasn't he. When we traded him it was as if we gave up a top 5 QB. I'm sure I actually saw him in a top 5 QB list or two over at Comp.

Now though, I think we've all got him about right. Good franchise QB to have, will make a howler every now and then, but you don't have to worry about the position for years (unless injury).

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Rotoworld called him SF's weak link.

This is fair. He probably is. But that the team around him is damn good. Similar to Alex Smith in 2011. 

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Cowherd called him a game manager.

This is actually tricky because I don't think that he's a game manager in the way we typically think of it (Alex Smith being the preeminent avatar of the phrase). If you want to call him that from a tier production standpoint, yes, I would agree with that this year. And obviously, he hasn't had to be leaned on to win games this year very often (though let's remember, this is his first full season in the league, we don't have very much of a sample size here...his first full season happened to coincide with when the 49ers had a very good, very well rounded team around him). 

The thing about Jimmy is that he doesn't have a "game manager" mentality. He's a bit of a gun slinger and not remotely averse to taking risks (sometimes much to my chagrin). He's basically got Brett Favre's mentality on the football field, but with Kirk Cousins' talent / skill base...which, you know, isn't always ideal. So personality wise, he's not really like Alex Smith, but I think the end result leads you to a similar destination, with just the journey being slightly different. 

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Someone on this ofrum thinks SF would be better with Nick Mullens starting.

Bad takes are bad takes. Sometimes they happen. 

42 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As for 2018, let's also recognize the SF D was awful.   Bosa/Ford & Alexander at ILB, plus a fully healthy Sherman, and a mass of depth acquired from the draft, transformed the D.   Not to mention that Sanders & Deebo have revived the pass game to be more than just Kittle & co.

For sure, but what he did in 2017 was pretty impressive. That was a team that had one win prior to him starting, was on pace to finish with the first / second overall pick. The team was awful. He proceeded to go 5-0 with that very same team (actually less, because of offensive line injuries), including wins over 2 playoff teams from that year. Now, a lot of that in my opinion has to do with a lack of tape from opposing teams (and it's not like the offense was always super impressive during that stretch) but it's still pretty impressive for his W-L record when looking at the team and saying they suck without him but are good with him. 

Mostly, right now. He's fine. I put more faith in Shanny than Jimmy, but I don't think that's a bad call. He's like so many other quarterbacks who are largely dependent on their situation and circumstance. There's very few quarterbacks who can overcome bad situations. He's not one of them. That being said, I don't know that he's a finished product yet despite his age. If this is all he ever is, it's okay. The team can compete with this, you just have to have the better team around him. But the door hasn't completely shut on him getting better either. Could he get into that Matt Ryan type tier? Maybe. 

• Like 3