Is Jimmy Garoppolo underrated?

Elky

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Which is why I don't understand why teams don't play 8 in the box all game vs the Niners and force Jimmy to beat them deep.

Because Kittle, Deebo and to a degree Sanders and Juice. Add in Shanny calling plays, setting defenses up for failure and keeping them on their toes with said play calling and it’s difficult to just load the box. The ability for almost any of our skill position players, FB included, to move outside and move around pre-snap force defenses to play more honest and balanced.

Edited by Fureys49ers

2 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Because Kittle, Deebo and time a degree Sanders. Add in Shanny calling plays, setting defenses up for failure and keeping them on their toes with said play calling and it’s difficult to just load the box.  

Those guys won't matter if Jimmy can't consistently hit them on throws of 20+ air yards.  Neither would Shanny's play-calling tbh. 

It's not just the lack of loading the box... I also think it's insane defenses are willing to do what GB did and get gashed all day in the run game in Nickel/Dime personnel.

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

Those guys won't matter if Jimmy can't consistently hit them on throws of 20+ air yards.  Neither would Shanny's play-calling tbh. 

It's not just the lack of loading the box... I also think it's insane defenses are willing to do what GB did and get gashed all day in the run game in Nickel/Dime personnel.

Even if a team loaded the box I don’t think you’d see a lot of downfield 20+ yard shots. That’s just not our offense. You’d see one on ones on players like Kittle, Deebo, Sanders, Juice where they’d continue to run their 5-20 yard routes and continue to be asked to beat the man in front of them and pick up YAC. Which they have quite efficiently this year, only now, there wouldn’t be any help for these defenders. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Even if a team loaded the box I don’t think you’d see a lot of downfield 20+ yard shots. That’s just not our offense. You’d see one on ones on players like Kittle, Deebo, Sanders, Juice where they’d continue to run their 5-20 yard routes and continue to be asked to beat the man in front of them and pick up YAC. Which they have quite efficiently this year, only now, there wouldn’t be any help for these defenders. 

That would be tough to do with the LBers and SS playing underneath zones.

As far as the topic goes though, I’m not sure whether or not he’s underrated. I think the belief that we’d be better off with Mullins is a terrible exaggeration, but I also don’t think Jimmy G’s going toe to toe with the top 5 guys in the league anytime soon in a shoot out. He has been exactly what we’ve needed when we’ve needed it for most of this season, including the type of QB who has just as much as any teammate only throwing the ball 8 times a game. That’s probably my favorite quality about the guy, doesn’t much to seem to matter to him what we think or anyone thinks, and when called upon he’s answered for the most part. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

He's good QB but there is no denying that the rest of that team is so good that he's looking like a game manager. I think he'll get better but his coach, oline, and defense are running the show right now.

He's not in the same mold as Russell Wilson earlier in his career, but he is in a similar role.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That would be tough to do with the LBers and SS playing underneath zones.

But this has happened this year, Shanny has moved the pocket, called drag/crossing routes, and used play action. The answer to your questions can be answered through watching our games. 

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

But this has happened this year, Shanny has moved the pocket, called drag/crossing routes, and used play action. The answer to your questions can be answered through watching our games. 

I live in Cali, so I've watched a fair amount.  But yeah, I get what you're saying; I'd just rather force Jimmy G to consistently beat me than get gashed for 7+ YPC on the ground, which is inevitable with light boxes and Nickel personnel against this team.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I live in Cali, so I've watched a fair amount.  But yeah, I get what you're saying; I'd just rather force Jimmy G to consistently beat me than get gashed for 7+ YPC on the ground, which is inevitable with light boxes and Nickel personnel against this team.

Oh for sure, no idea why GB thought they were cool doing what they were doing or why a full out assault to stop the run wasn’t committed to near the end of the 3rd quarter when Jimmy hadn’t thrown a pass in 15 minutes of game time haha. I mean he went an hour and half in real time without lifting the ball to his ear haha. Still kind of blows my mind that that was CCG.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elky said:

Rotoworld called him SF's weak link.

Cowherd called him a game manager.

Someone on this ofrum thinks SF would be better with Nick Mullens starting.

Yet, SF was one of the worst teams in the league without him.

Cowherd has been one of Jimmy's biggest supporters for a while now. Just had this video today.

If I had to make a QB list, Jimmy is around 11 or 12. He’s a pretty good QB. Is he a field general? No, but he’s very good at just about everything he does. And a short sample size, but he looked terrific in the two games he played for NE and all their pre season stuff. So it’s not just Kyle. 

No, he's overrated.

Garoppolo's not terrible.  He's not even a bad quarterback by any standard. 

He can actually be a very good QB when he wants to be. 

But, he's not as good as people make him out to be.  

He's not the Italian Tom Brady.  He makes a lot more mistakes on the field than Brady ever did.  

That's why Shanahan is sort of hesitant to have him throw the football.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RamblinMan99 said:

No, he's overrated.

Garoppolo's not terrible.  He's not even a bad quarterback by any standard. 

He can actually be a very good QB when he wants to be. 

But, he's not as good as people make him out to be.  

He's not the Italian Tom Brady.  He makes a lot more mistakes on the field than Brady ever did.  

That's why Shanahan is sort of hesitant to have him throw the football.  

Right...like throwing four interceptions in the 4th quarter of a game. Yes, this actually happened when Brady was also a young player still gaining experience. In addition to having 10 plus fumbles his first 3 years as a starter. 

I don’t necessarily agree with the point of view that says Shanny is hesitant to have Jimmy throw the ball. There were many games where Jimmy threw 25 plus times in a game, I believe in 5 or 6 games with him attempting over 30 passes some over 40, and most of those wins. But why would someone continue to call passes when the run game works so well, tires out a defense and uses the clock? Doesn’t make sense that because the niners are so effective at running the ball that Jimmy be viewed as incapable of passing. Those who’ve watched the niners throughout the year have been given a handful of examples where Jimmy not only three the ball a lot, but threw the ball a lot to get us a win. Now, he does have a very serviceable offense around him, and a top of the league defense so that helps undoubtedly, but I’m not sure those should be detractors from his play or ability.

Edited by Fureys49ers