Is Jimmy Garoppolo underrated?

Elky

49 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

The first Seattle game would be the counter to this. That was one of the worst QB clutch performances we've seen this year.

That was bad and he got lucky with a dropped INT or two. But even that game the team was a missed FG away from winning that game. Jimmy still took the team down the field to send it to OT.

Then came up clutch against the Rams, Saints, Cardinals (2x) and Steelers. His clutch numbers stack up with any QB in the league this season. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That was bad and he got lucky with a dropped INT or two. But even that game the team was a missed FG away from winning that game. Jimmy still took the team down the field to send it to OT.

Then came up clutch against the Rams, Saints, Cardinals (2x) and Steelers. His clutch numbers stack up with any QB in the league this season. 

I'm not saying he's not clutch. I'm saying that in that game the moment seemed too big for him. He should have thrown the game losing pick. And then didn't really shake that play off and should have thrown another a few plays later. He didn't look comfortable at all. 

I don't watch enough to know if that's his norm. My assumption would be it's not but in that moment he was certainly flappable. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, that's a bit of an overstatement. Rapp blew a coverage. Jimmy had basically given the game away before being given that gift by taking a bad sack.

• Like 1

Just now, jrry32 said:

Well, that's a bit of an overstatement. Rapp blew a coverage. Jimmy had basically given the game away before being given that gift by taking a bad sack.

No, not a overstatement at all. Did take a bad sack but you convert you two 3rd and 16s, that is coming up big any way you look at it. Not his fault the coverage was blown and dude still got the pass to Sanders while taking a hit. Actually ended up working out better that he got hit or else it's likely a TD and the Rams still have a chance to win. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm not saying he's not clutch. I'm saying that in that game the moment seemed too big for him. He should have thrown the game losing pick. And then didn't really shake that play off and should have thrown another a few plays later. He didn't look comfortable at all. 

I don't watch enough to know if that's his norm. My assumption would be it's not but in that moment he was certainly flappable. 

Agreed he didn't look comfortable. Pretty much all game to be honest. I'm sure it didn't help Sanders/Kittle were out, but he was shaky that game. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, not a overstatement at all. Did take a bad sack but you convert you two 3rd and 16s, that is coming up big any way you look at it. Not his fault the coverage was blown and dude still got the pass to Sanders while taking a hit. Actually ended up working out better that he got hit or else it's likely a TD and the Rams still have a chance to win. 

It's definitely overstating things. Getting bailed out by an objectively stupid defensive play after you did everything you could to pizz the game away isn't how I'd define clutch play.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's definitely overstating things. Getting bailed out by an objectively stupid defensive play after you did everything you could to pizz the game away isn't how I'd define clutch play.

I said he came up clutch against the Rams....What he did is the definition of coming up clutch. Got the ball late in the game in a tie game and drove the team down for a game winning FG. Converted two 3rd and longs. You can talk about this breakdown or that breakdown, but that's not how it works. You can go back to many clutch drives and point to something that the defense contributed in helping the opposing team/QB. Not even sure what this argument is all about to be honest. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I said he came up clutch against the Rams....What he did is the definition of coming up clutch. Got the ball late in the game in a tie game and drove the team down for a game winning FG. Converted two 3rd and longs. You can talk about this breakdown or that breakdown, but that's not how it works. You can go back to many clutch drives and point to something that the defense contributed in helping the opposing team/QB. Not even sure what this argument is all about to be honest. 

So if Jimmy threw a ball straight to the defender, it bounced off him, and was caught by a WR for a TD to win the game in the 4th, you'd call that a "clutch play"?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That single play may be understating it though. He lead the drive before for a touchdown to take the lead, got the ball back tied, and got the ball down field to a game winning field goal. 

That being said, he wasn't exactly impressive in the majority of that second half, but he got it done those last two drives. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

So if Jimmy threw a ball straight to the defender, it bounced off him, and was caught by a WR for a TD to win the game in the 4th, you'd call that a "clutch play"?

That would him being fortunate. Rams having a breakdown is not close to Jimmy throwing a bad pass that goes off the hands of a defender right to the WR. You're acting like Jimmy just threw a 10 yard pass where the defense had a complete breakdown and it went for a TD. No, he legitimately had to toss it damn near 50 yards while getting hit. 

22 hours ago, Malfatron said:

lol, yeah those 8 passes really killed us

Why would the coach change the game plan when they were able to rack up almost 900 yards on the ground ;)

Smart coaches and QB's only should execute what is asked of them based on what is working. We've already seen Jimmy step up in clutch situations and had a really good year. 

People are just going to underrate him now because he only had to throw 8 throws against you guys. What about the game against the Rams where we had to convert two 3 and 16's on the final drive to win the game?

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

That single play may be understating it though. He lead the drive before for a touchdown to take the lead, got the ball back tied, and got the ball down field to a game winning field goal. 

That being said, he wasn't exactly impressive in the majority of that second half, but he got it done those last two drives. 

Yep, seven extremely suspect quarters for our offense and Jimmy G before the 4th quarter of that game. 

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That would him being fortunate. Rams having a breakdown is not close to Jimmy throwing a bad pass that goes off the hands of a defender right to the WR. You're acting like Jimmy just threw a 10 yard pass where the defense had a complete breakdown and it went for a TD. No, he legitimately had to toss it damn near 50 yards while getting hit. 

I'm acting like he was a NFL QB lobbing a ball to a wide open WR because the safety decided to vacate his zone to cover nobody. That play was Jimmy being fortunate.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm acting like he was a NFL QB lobbing a ball to a wide open WR because the safety decided to vacate his zone to cover nobody. That play was Jimmy being fortunate.

Fortunate is the possession prior where Harris dropped a Goff INT or Wagner dropping a pass that he could have picked off where Jimmy threw a bad pass. But the safety misplaying his coverage is not something that is Jimmy's fault. And again, you are acting like he just threw a easy 10 yard pass to a wide open receiver. Nope, had to throw about a 50+ yarder while taking a hit. You though are grasping at straws right now. The point was how good he has been in the clutch this year and how he stacks up with any QB in the league during crunch time. Rams were just one of the games he came through on. 

• Like 1