Is Jimmy Garoppolo underrated?

Elky

Sometimes when I think about it, he's rated where he should be. The issue is the narrative that he's some sort of detriment to the team. We've all see what happened when he went down....okay so he's not a detriment. So what is it? Talk show guys hate his looks? Maybe!! Or maybe it's that he came from the Patriots who get a ton of heat and backup up Brady who gets even more heat. He's got two rings as a back up then goes to a team wins a few games and gets a nice contract. He's winning in life right? Football wise...yes high mid-tier/low upper. But maybe's it's the other aspects that are generating heat?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

And he's got more mental toughness than Goff in my opinion. 

I'm curious what makes you think this. Pretty much all of Garoppolo's career has been easy going aside from the ACL. I wouldn't cite 4th Q comebacks as Goff has had his fair share of those. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm curious what makes you think this. Pretty much all of Garoppolo's career has been easy going aside from the ACL. I wouldn't cite 4th Q comebacks as Goff has had his fair share of those. 

It's surface level for sure. And I'm not stating that Goff isn't mentally tough...I just thing Jimmy (like Brady) has football amnesia from what I've seen. I think when Goff gets rattled in games (like the SB) I can just tell it affects him in a different way than Jimmy. 

Again, Niner fan talking so it may not be all valid....just observation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 49ers2015 said:

It's surface level for sure. And I'm not stating that Goff isn't mentally tough...I just thing Jimmy (like Brady) has football amnesia from what I've seen. I think when Goff gets rattled in games (like the SB) I can just tell it affects him in a different way than Jimmy. 

Fair. I just don't see it that way at all. In fact I see the opposite if anything. Jimmy was shook in the first Seattle game. I will never unsee that last drive in regulation when he was begging to throw the game away. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

Fair. I just don't see it that way at all. In fact I see the opposite if anything. Jimmy was shook in the first Seattle game. I will never unsee that last drive in regulation when he was begging to throw the game away. 

He was rattled in that game for sure. I mean with the narrative on both of them nowadays they are probably being compared more and more..lol. I'm not thrilled on Goff's narrative either. I like him and think he's a franchise guy. Just hard to not have heat unless your Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, etc....

• Like 1

One game doesn't define a career though. I can absolutely go find games where Tom Brady threw games away in critical moments and cherrypick them, but that doesn't erase the countless times where he was amazing in critical moments. Literally no player in NFL history is clutch 100% of the time - even some of the most clutch QBs ever have choked games away.

You're being a prisoner of the moment.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 49ers2015 said:

He was rattled in that game for sure. I mean with the narrative on both of them nowadays they are probably being compared more and more..lol. I'm not thrilled on Goff's narrative either. I like him and think he's a franchise guy. Just hard to not have heat unless your Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, etc....

Watson's situation is pretty ugly though - he's strapped with a mediocre coach who won't ever take Houston past the second round of the playoffs. And it looks like that coach is there to stay in Houston for as long as he wants. In 5 years from now, I could see people blaming Houston's lack of playoff success on Watson (he isn't clutch, he's a choker, etc.) while ignoring the real problem in Houston.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Fortunate is the possession prior where Harris dropped a Goff INT or Wagner dropping a pass that he could have picked off where Jimmy threw a bad pass. But the safety misplaying his coverage is not something that is Jimmy's fault. And again, you are acting like he just threw a easy 10 yard pass to a wide open receiver. Nope, had to throw about a 50+ yarder while taking a hit. You though are grasping at straws right now. The point was how good he has been in the clutch this year and how he stacks up with any QB in the league during crunch time. Rams were just one of the games he came through on. 

Yes, a dropped INT is fortunate, just like a blown coverage after you screwed your team by taking a sack is fortunate.

2 minutes ago, Hukos said:

One game doesn't define a career though. I can absolutely go find games where Tom Brady threw games away in critical moments and cherrypick them, but that doesn't erase the countless times where he was amazing in critical moments. Literally no player in NFL history is clutch 100% of the time - even some of the most clutch QBs ever have choked games away.

You're being a prisoner of the moment.

I agree. Jimmy's sample size isn't Brady's though. He doesn't have that many big games to choose from. 

14 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

Jimmy, like Goff, gets rattled if you can consistently hit him. I've seen Jimmy in the standing fetal position in games where his protection didn't hold up. Neither guy has any issue forgetting the last play, though.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Jimmy, like Goff, gets rattled if you can consistently hit him. I've seen Jimmy in the standing fetal position in games where his protection didn't hold up. Neither guy has any issue forgetting the last play, though.

We will see how the years progress and what's in store for both of them. I like them both and actually think the gap from them and the higher tiers is not so far off as everyone makes it out to be. 

• Like 2