Is Jimmy Garoppolo underrated?

Elky

1 hour ago, 49ers2015 said:

And he's got more mental toughness than Goff in my opinion. 

I don't understand this point.  The 49ers are a GREAT team this season, but Garoppolo is not asked to do much at all.  I know there's been games and situations where he's had to throw the ball, but for the most part they don't need him to win.  He's not really asked to win them games.  Jared Goff had much more weight and responsibility on his shoulders during their SB run last season than Garoppolo has ever had in his entire career combined.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, showtime said:

I don't understand this point.  The 49ers are a GREAT team this season, but Garoppolo is not asked to do much at all.  I know there's been games and situations where he's had to throw the ball, but for the most part they don't need him to win.  He's not really asked to win them games.  Jared Goff had much more weight and responsibility on his shoulders during their SB run last season than Garoppolo has ever had in his entire career combined.

See response above I explained and chatted it out. 

Let's put some context to not "needing" him to win. This year the team is stacked they may not. Hell the Broncos didn't need Peyton when they beat the Panthers right? However, overall and in years to come they will need him. Remember 4-12 without him last year. 

I think literally any starting QB in the league could have led the Niners to the NFC Championship during the playoff run.  The game against the Vikings and Packers.  If Andy Dalton was the Niners QB, they would still be in the Superbowl right now.  Garoppolo has done damn near nothing in the postseason and the team is just outright dominating.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, showtime said:

Clipboards are heavy dude! 

But yes. 

I don’t think the Niners needed Jimmy to win their games. But they needed him to win some of their games. Yeah, they’re a team with a good defense and strong running game - virtually every QB’s dream. Those two aspects have won them plenty of football games. But Jimmy’s delivered when asked for the most part, so I think saying that he isn’t or wasn’t needed, is inaccurate. He’s not asked to carry things like a Wilson or lead the show like a Mahomes, but he’s still an important piece.

4 minutes ago, showtime said:

If Andy Dalton was the Niners QB, they would still be in the Superbowl right now.  

I just can’t get behind this.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, showtime said:

I think literally any starting QB in the league could have led the Niners to the NFC Championship during the playoff run.  The game against the Vikings and Packers.  If Andy Dalton was the Niners QB, they would still be in the Superbowl right now.  Garoppolo has done damn near nothing in the postseason and the team is just outright dominating.

In the playoffs, yes (well, *all* may be a bit of hyperbole, but I won't argue the overriding sentiment of the thought). But not any starting quarterback could have gotten them in the position in the first place. Jimmy gets a lot of credit for that part of it. 

That being said, as a niner fan, obviously I'm just stoked to have crushed those game. But if there is one frustrating part about those wins, its that I have absolutely no idea whether or not Jimmy is ready to go. I'm banking on the NO game and second seattle game as my proof that he can do it (largely throwing out the AZ games). I mentioned on the podcast after the Minnesota game that it needed to be brought up that we went super run heavy after the INT, but it could mean nothing, or it could mean everything, because frankly, running the ball 50 times was the right game plan against a team on a short week, traveling, having just played an overtime game. But now we have played another entire full game and I still don't have an answer to that question I posed after the Minnesota game LOL. That is admittedly frustrating. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

Sounds good! Again I'm validating his worth overall. I mean did you see he took two shots to the knee in both the Vikings and Packers game? Perhaps they didn't want to do anything to put him at risk. I mean Dalton really? I don't agree there. 

I'm not trying to say that Garoppolo is a terrible player or anything, I'm just saying he hasn't done nearly anything this postseason.  I'm not a Niners fan, so I don't watch all their games in the regular season.  I'm watching every game of the playoffs and literally any starting QB in this league could have done what he has done for them this postseason.  He's asked to do so MUCH less than every starting QB who made the playoffs.

If he actually throws the football in the SB in a competitive game, then I'll revisit and give the dude his props.  But right now, he hasn't done anything to earn props, I'm sorry.

9 minutes ago, Hukos said:

Man if Jimmy G is so unimportant the 49ers must have had the best draft of all time in 2019 to go from 6-10 to the Super Bowl.

4-12

But I would hope people can acknowledge that Jimmy is better than Beathard (0-5) and Mullens (3-5). Of course, Jimmy doesn't have to be elite to be better than those guys. And it's also notable that the defense went from bottom 5 to top 10.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

Just now, jrry32 said:

4-12

But I would hope people can acknowledge that Jimmy is better than Beathard (0-5) and Mullens (3-5). Of course, Jimmy doesn't have to be elite to be better than those guys. And it's also notable that the defense went from bottom 5 to top 10.

You also have dudes in this thread saying Andy Dalton could replace Jimmy G.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

4-12

Last year when Mullens was playing it was crazy that there were actually people saying he should get the nod over Jimmy. I'm sure this year there was some of that too. The D is the big factor here that's for certain and Jimmy is benefiting for sure. I won't deny that or how awesome Kittle is.