Is Jimmy Garoppolo underrated?

Elky

At times, he is treated unfairly by the media.

Not sure why, but his contribution always seems to be downplayed, and any success almost always gets credited to someone else.  With most other QBs, it's just the opposite, and it's frustrating. 

I've never seen any other guy put up 4000 yards/28 TDs, and be called a game manager.

The only major difference in the team from last year (4-12) to this year (13-3) is Garoppolo's health and I guess Bosa on D...  It's laughable to say Jimmy G is the weak link.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm acting like he was a NFL QB lobbing a ball to a wide open WR because the safety decided to vacate his zone to cover nobody. That play was Jimmy being fortunate.

Exactly. Not to mention in the Saints game, he had an easy 5 yard crosser to Kittle, who literally did the rest and YAC'd himself up the field to win the game for the 49ers. That was all Kittle. If you've watched the 49ers enough this season, the formula is easy to understand. Run the ball through that unstoppable scheme and set up easy throws for Jimmy G on PA quick slants and crossers where Samuel/Kittle/Sanders could use their YAC ability. Shanahan has absolutely done a tremendous job masking Jimmy G and putting him in position to succeed. The "one of the most clutch QBs this season" claim is quite the take...

Edited by Nex_Gen
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 7:05 PM, PapaShogun said:

Right...like throwing four interceptions in the 4th quarter of a game. Yes, this actually happened when Brady was also a young player still gaining experience. In addition to having 10 plus fumbles his first 3 years as a starter. 

Are you really going to insert examples of Brady from his first couple of years in the league? 

I mean, that was only 20 years ago.  

Garoppolo is almost 30 years old.  He's not necessarily a rookie QB by any means, so you can't make the same comparison.  

Just face it.  Garoppolo is very prone to throwing interceptions, Shanahan knows that, and that's why San Francisco has been running the football.  

He honestly reminds me a lot of Roman Gabriel.  A decent QB, but not a great one.  

A QB has one job. Its to win football games. (some people will never understand this and shout team sport all day long like Marshall Faulk shouting walkthroughs!)

Jimmy G has started 28 games and he has walked off the field with a win 23 times.

• His regular season rating is 100.
  • He has a 100+ rating in 15 of those 28 games. He has a 110+ rating in 11 of those games and a 130+ rating in 5 of those games.
    • Mahomes has 22(100+) 20(110+) and 5(130+) in 35 games for comparison and he is the greatest statistical QB of all time through 35 starts.

Garoppolo has absolutely been a game manager in 2 playoff games because he saw his run game and defense were killing the other teams. This is a positive, not a negative.

If he needs to throw 40 times in LIV and comes up small then have your fun. If he plays like he did in New Orleans than that's even more proof that he is underrated.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Just face it.  Garoppolo is very prone to throwing interceptions, Shanahan knows that, and that's why San Francisco has been running the football.  

His INT % is like 27th, 29th, and 28th in his 3 years in SF so he does throw them at a higher rate than he should.

He's not Jameis Winston careless but he does have some gunslinger tendencies.

5 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Are you really going to insert examples of Brady from his first couple of years in the league? 

I mean, that was only 20 years ago.  

Garoppolo is almost 30 years old.  He's not necessarily a rookie QB by any means, so you can't make the same comparison.  

He honestly reminds me a lot of Roman Gabriel.  A decent QB, but not a great one.  

Age is irrelevant. He's coming off his first season as a starter. He hasn't started 30 games yet even. Doesn't matter if it was 20 years ago. Lack of experience is lack of experience period. Being older doesn't mean you are automatically more experienced in something that you haven't had much experience in. That doesn't make sense. Brady wasn't a rookie when he threw 4 interceptions in the 4th quarter of a game. He wasn't a rookie when he finished his 4th year in the league with 10 plus fumbles for the third straight year. You think Brady is the same player he was when he came into the NFL after his first season as a starter? Montana? Go back and watch games from 1980 compared to 1990. His footwork is night and day. You can't criticize Jimmy for making big mistakes having not had that many starts, but when Brady made big mistakes not having had that many starts it was okay because he got the starting job at age 24, and Jimmy got it at age 27. Weak justification. 

I didn't say Jimmy G wasn't prone to throwing interceptions. You made the argument that he makes mistakes that Brady never did. I simply squashed that rhetoric, because it's blatantly false. Tom, as good as he was back then, still had hiccups as a young player. It's Jimmy's first full season in Shanahan's system coming off an ACL with limited starting experience as a whole. He can get better in many areas just like Brady did.

Edited by PapaShogun

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's definitely overstating things. Getting bailed out by an objectively stupid defensive play after you did everything you could to pizz the game away isn't how I'd define clutch play.

Would you say the walkoff touchdown pass that Tua threw in the national championship game against Georgia was a clutch play? 

Dude took a sack the play before to put them out of FG range down 3 in OT. What an imbecile. Should have just taken a knee the next play