Is Jimmy Garoppolo underrated?

Elky

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

Would you say the walkoff touchdown pass that Tua threw in the national championship game against Georgia was a clutch play? 

Dude took a sack the play before to put them out of FG range down 3 in OT. What an imbecile. Should have just taken a knee the next play

I don't recall UGA blowing a coverage. I recall Alabama's WR gaining a step or two and Tua hitting him in stride. So yes. But if my recollection is wrong, let me know.

23 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't recall UGA blowing a coverage. I recall Alabama's WR gaining a step or two and Tua hitting him in stride. So yes. But if my recollection is wrong, let me know.

I dont recall Tua's elbow getting hit as he was releasing the ball. I know you have gamepass, go see for yourself. littletons hand hits Jimmy's elbow when he is releasing the ball. The contact wasnt huge, but it did happen

Even while getting his arm hit, the ball traveled roughly 65 yards in the air. Could it have gone another 10 yards for the walkoff TD? sure. Does that mean he somehow doesnt get credit for essentially ending the game on that play? no. 

A dropped INT is a fortunate play for a QB because its a play that should have been made by the defense. The defense blowing coverage, and a QB going through his reads to understand where there is blown coverage, then throwing the ball into space, leading your WR away from defenders and into space (led sanders back inside, even if sanders had to slow down, he was running away from both Ramsey and Rapp, who were to the outside) is a good play by a QB. Thats what @J-ALL-DAY was saying. big difference. One is blind luck, one is taking advantage of the defense's blunder. 

What about the new orleans game? 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

I dont recall Tua's elbow getting hit as he was releasing the ball. I know you have gamepass, go see for yourself. littletons hand hits Jimmy's elbow when he is releasing the ball. The contact wasnt huge, but it did happen

Even while getting his arm hit, the ball traveled roughly 65 yards in the air. Could it have gone another 10 yards for the walkoff TD? sure. Does that mean he somehow doesnt get credit for essentially ending the game on that play? no. 

A dropped INT is a fortunate play for a QB because its a play that should have been made by the defense. The defense blowing coverage, and a QB going through his reads to understand where there is blown coverage, then throwing the ball into space, leading your WR away from defenders and into space (led sanders back inside, even if sanders had to slow down, he was running away from both Ramsey and Rapp, who were to the outside) is a good play by a QB. Thats what @J-ALL-DAY was saying. big difference. One is blind luck, one is taking advantage of the defense's blunder. 

What about the new orleans game? 

He didn't lead his WR lol. Being able to exploit a blown coverage is the least a NFL QB should be able to do. He got lucky.

Since the interception Garoppolo has threw in the NFC Divisional game, the 49ers have called 72 runs and only 14 passes.  Like I said, literally any starting QB in the league could have played during that stretch and the Niners would still be in the SB.  He's done nothing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

https://m.imgur.com/a/kgl3G3T

Make of this what you will

Pretty sure that is Mahomes.

13 minutes ago, showtime said:

Since the interception Garoppolo has threw in the NFC Divisional game, the 49ers have called 72 runs and only 14 passes.  Like I said, literally any starting QB in the league could have played during that stretch and the Niners would still be in the SB.  He's done nothing.

The last two games? Sure. Too bad there were 16 other games this season. 

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I'm only talking about the postseason.  I thought that was pretty clear.

we wouldn't have won 4-5 games without Garoppolo having strong games though. We wouldn't have played the teams we did in the playoffs if we weren't the #1 seed, which we wouldn't have been without having him for the other 16, which was J's point

Edited by N4L

6 hours ago, showtime said:

Why are you capping Jimmy off since he threw the interception? Why wouldn't you include his other pass attempts from the Vikings game? Including his touchdown. 

7 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Why are you capping Jimmy off since he threw the interception? Why wouldn't you include his other pass attempts from the Vikings game? Including his touchdown. 

Because @showtime's biggest issue, and something that he has been talking about since before the playoffs is whether or not Jimmy can do it on the big stage (playoffs / super bowl). He's not wrong in that regard. Honestly, he's been quite fair. And he's not wrong. Jimmy hasn't shown anything yet in this post season and he's not the only one who sees this - I actually commented on the very big change in the gameplan following the int in the podcast following that game.

Now, it could have been the game plan (would have been smart to go run heavy on a team on a short week with travel coming off an overtime game), and obviously the run game was working in Green Bay, so he didn't have to do anything there. But Jimmy certainly hasn't shown he's ready for the stage yet. Doesn't mean he isn't (and even showtime hasn't said that he isn't), just that he hasn't shown it yet, regardless of the reasoning (which could just be as simple as the running game is working).

He also hasn't been overly critical of Jimmy's play during the season - I've actually only seen him comment about questions concerning the post season. A lot of quarterbacks could have led the team to victory specifically during these two playoff games. I don't think that's an unfair comment to make. He simply hasn't had to do anything much yet. 

I know that showtime isn't sold on him long term yet, which is also understandable, but honestly, I think he's been quite fair during this and to have questions about whether he can cut it in the post season should still be allowed to be on the table. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Because @showtime's biggest issue, and something that he has been talking about since before the playoffs is whether or not Jimmy can do it on the big stage (playoffs / super bowl). He's not wrong in that regard. Honestly, he's been quite fair. And he's not wrong. Jimmy hasn't shown anything yet in this post season and he's not the only one who sees this - I actually commented on the very big change in the gameplan following the int in the podcast following that game.

Now, it could have been the game plan (would have been smart to go run heavy on a team on a short week with travel coming off an overtime game), and obviously the run game was working in Green Bay, so he didn't have to do anything there. But Jimmy certainly hasn't shown he's ready for the stage yet. Doesn't mean he isn't (and even showtime hasn't said that he isn't), just that he hasn't shown it yet, regardless of the reasoning (which could just be as simple as the running game is working).

He also hasn't been overly critical of Jimmy's play during the season - I've actually only seen him comment about questions concerning the post season. A lot of quarterbacks could have led the team to victory specifically during these two playoff games. I don't think that's an unfair comment to make. He simply hasn't had to do anything much yet. 

I know that showtime isn't sold on him long term yet, which is also understandable, but honestly, I think he's been quite fair during this and to have questions about whether he can cut it in the post season should still be allowed to be on the table. 

...But he threw the other passes. They count lol. If Jimmy threw an interception at the end of the game when victory was already secured, would pass attempts after that INT at that point in time only be counted as well, in essence discounting the entire Vikings game? 

It's fair to question Jimmy in the playoffs. That's not my beef. I'm saying include all the passes, not just a certain section that paints a narrative which serves the benefit of a person's viewpoint. 

Edited by PapaShogun