2020 Senior Bowl Discussion

WindyCity

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think they want to replace Pace and that they love him. They just handed him 150 million to do renovations and lead that project.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but that’d be a disaster both in practice and in perception. He could always get reassigned within the organization I suppose. He certainly hasn’t done anything to earn a lifetime gig as GM. 

"As I reported before Senior Bowl practices even began, Trautman was already receiving second round grades around the league and was being considered by many as the top tight end from the senior class. He did nothing to disprove that opinion and in fact, he further strengthened it. The Dayton product displayed himself to be a complete player at the tight end position and, if nothing else, dispelled the belief by some that he’s not worth a day two pick."

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

"As I reported before Senior Bowl practices even began, Trautman was already receiving second round grades around the league and was being considered by many as the top tight end from the senior class. He did nothing to disprove that opinion and in fact, he further strengthened it. The Dayton product displayed himself to be a complete player at the tight end position and, if nothing else, dispelled the belief by some that he’s not worth a day two pick."

It’s happening.

You know Pace can’t help himself.

21 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Nagy maybe, but why do you think that for Pace? 1 winning season in 6 should have been enough to get him canned. 1 in 7 plus the Mitch pick shouldn’t get him any more passes.

I’ve always thought and continue to think his future is tied to Mitch more than Nagy’s. Pace picked him. Nagy was brought in to coach him afterward. Barring Mitch taking the step in 2020 we hoped to see in 2019 I don’t think he or Pace is back in 2021. I also think he knows this, and because of that he’s going to do everything he can to load up the rest of the team to best set him for success even at the potential expense of future seasons. 

I don’t expect a high QB though. I’m expecting a FA and a mid-late round QB who will in all likelihood eventually be our #2. I also think they pick up Mitch’s 2021 option to give him the perceived comfort of 2020 not being a lame duck season too even though it wouldn’t (and shouldn’t) be a true commitment beyond this year. People are going to lose their **** about it too, but everything built around helping set him up to succeed. Same reason I expect a significant investment at TE and WR along with OL upgrades. If Mitch fails then at least Pace can argue that he did everything he could when lobbying to keep his job. 

You have to understand that Pace was very upfront with George and Ted when he said this was going to take time. He came into a literal ****-show in Chicago and had to gut not only the team but the building as well (coaches, trainers, hell even Halas Hall).

Pace took over in 2015, with a defense that just earned the honors as "Worst In Chicago Bears History". Fast forward 3 years and our defense was ranked #1 in the NFL.

Pace stripped down one of the oldest -- if not THE oldest -- rosters in the NFL and now has the following core pieces:

WR - Allen Robinson

OG - Cody Whitehair

OG - James Daniels (rated 5th at LG by PFF last season)

NT - Eddie Goldman

DE - Akiem Hicks

ILB - Roquan Smithh

OLB - Khalil Mack

FS - Eddie Jackson

That's solid talent with a handful of elite players. Clearly we need to do upgrade the talent level offensively, and I think we would be fools to not give Pace and Nagy every opportunity to succeed on that side of the ball. Nagy is here through 2022, Pace is here through 2021. Unless the team completely falls apart next season (I don't see that happening) I can't imagine Pace and Nagy being fired. I'm firmly of the opinion they should be given another shot at drafting a QB if Mitch fails... but I'm one of the few on this planet that think the kid has not yet hit his ceiling. Trubisky is the least experienced QB to ever be drafted in the first round of the NFL draft since the 1967 merger. That means something as much as some care to ignore it.

• Like 5

To add... I expect to see significant resources added to the offensive side of the ball. This is both in FA capital and draft assets. Give MT10 every chance to succeed, and if he doesn't you should have solid talent on both sides of the ball for your rookie QB in 2021.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

To add... I expect to see significant resources added to the offensive side of the ball. This is both in FA capital and draft assets. Give MT10 every chance to succeed, and if he doesn't you should have solid talent on both sides of the ball for your rookie QB in 2021.

This is how I see it playing out. They have to get the offense going. Even if it costs them a little talent at CB, SS and ILB.

Nothing matters if the O sucks again.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm firmly of the opinion they should be given another shot at drafting a QB if Mitch fails... but I'm one of the few on this planet that think the kid has not yet hit his ceiling. Trubisky is the least experienced QB to ever be drafted in the first round of the NFL draft since the 1967 merger. That means something as much as some care to ignore it.

I hope you're right about Trubisky. I will happily admit I was wrong when I declared him a lost cause...

58 minutes ago, G08 said:

My biggest concern is what the Bears do if Trubisky has a middle of the road season like 2018. Pace clearly loves the guy. But once you pay him a 2nd contract, you really limit your cap flexibility to improve the quality of the roster.

16 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

My biggest concern is what the Bears do if Trubisky has a middle of the road season like 2018. Pace clearly loves the guy. But once you pay him a 2nd contract, you really limit your cap flexibility to improve the quality of the roster.

You cannot repeat the mistakes of Cutler. If Mitch is mediocre please do not give him a large contract.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

You cannot repeat the mistakes of Cutler. If Mitch is mediocre please do not give him a large contract.

He needs to hit the thresh holds to discuss keeping him.

4000, 30, 15 or less picks

If he does that then he can play on the option in 2021. If not he can walk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

You have to understand that Pace was very upfront with George and Ted when he said this was going to take time. He came into a literal ****-show in Chicago and had to gut not only the team but the building as well (coaches, trainers, hell even Halas Hall).

You make a lot of good points except this one, unless there are some Brandon Marshall stories that I missed

I generally agree with you on Pace.  Regarding Mitchy, well,  I think we're going to get to see him get every chance, but I would be pleasantly shocked if he turns into anything here in Chicago

On 1/24/2020 at 8:11 AM, beardown3231 said:

If the Bears draft, say, Eason and he showed little to no promise and everyone got fired, guess what? Eason was a waste of a pick because the new regime is going to get their guy. If the Bears draft, say, Kmet and he showed little to no promise and everyone got fired, guess what? Kmet is still going to be given a chance next year. Ultimately these guys want their "own" guys but at no other position is that more prevalent than at QB. Combine that with the fact that Pace couldn't find a good QB if one hit him in the ***, I'll pass. Take one in the 4th, 5th or 6th. That's fine, but I'm not using a far more valuable pick on one considering all of the circumstances.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....you're just trying to rehash the same things that we have all heard, read, and said a thousand times. You may agree with the idea but your reasoning behind it is very weird, to say the least. 

If Pace chose to take a QB in the 2nd round and everyone got fired, the new regime is not going to just give up on him and use a 1st round pick next year on another QB simply because they want "their guy".  Especially given the circumstances (which you obviously didn't think this through).

The only way that would even be considered is if 1) the QB is Paxton bad, or 2) The new HC/OC didn't think too highly of said QB prior to the draft (and even then, there are no guarantees that this would happen because of circumstances). 

Now if you would have said something like you were afraid that the 2nd round QB's skill-set and mechanics wouldn't match with the new regime's philosophy, and that it might force them to try to fit a square peg in a round hole, then I would understand. But as it stands, you're reasoning is ridiculous. 

Guys I'm interested in post Senior Bowl:

-The edge rusher who terrorized Hurts, Anae. Kid shoulda gotten MVP.... he beat on the Oregon OT who is highly rated, and and absolutely humiliated the Texas Tech OT.

-The TEs Brycen Hopkins and Trautmann... I honestly wouldn't be upset with both. The small school kid seems better though, he actually blocks well.

-Anthony Gordon-QB..... This is my guy from this draft class right now, if I had to pick a QB... He's not ready at all yet, but his issues are  at least (potentially) fixable..... He needs some mass (barely 200lbs and skinny legged), and his film showed a tendency to panic vs pressure (which I'm HOPING is more inexperience than cowardice)... but when in a rhythm, he seems to be able to execute well.. I think he can be a decent backup at least.  His arm isn't the best, but some of that is mechanical, via "armthrowing" rather than driving into throws with his legs/feet. One thing I do like about him (and a potential double edged sword) is he's seemingly fearless trying to push the ball down field and/or across the middle  (I think Mitch gets a bit too gunshy at times).  He's certainly a project, but I see more potential in him than I do in a guy like Herbert  or Love (who I think are more "set" into what they are as players), and he should be going in the rounds 3-5 range too vs the rounds 1-2 range (where I expect Herbert/Love).

• Like 2

Gordon is interesting. He has such a tight quick release, a little like Jimmy G, and he really can be accurate when he has his feet going.

I like the moxie he has.

I would be fine with drafting him. Sitting him for the year. Letting him work with Flip and put on 15lbs.

• Like 1