2020 Senior Bowl Discussion

WindyCity

Just now, topwop1 said:

Well we will have an easier schedule this coming season, so if he improves and the defense remains at the same or similar level, then there is no chance we will be pick top-10.

Agreed, there is 0 chance the Bears are going to be picking in the top 10 unless there are incredible injuries.

Honestly if I'm Nagy I want to draft a QB and sign a cheap vet and have a three man competition. He can't have a ton of faith in Mitch and if a guy can routinely take what the defense gives and hit open receivers then we have a substantial upgrade. 

I may trade up to the 3rd for Gordon if he lasts, or if another QB is falling that he thinks can challenge for the spot. Need a system QB/reserve for whoever takes the reigns over in 2021. I'm not sure a solid number 2 can't beat Mitch straight up. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2020 at 5:52 PM, Heinz D. said:

I don't know, man. 

The main reason I can see Pace not doing it would be that it makes him look bad. I don't see that as a legit reason.

The next reason would be to not put any undue pressure on Mitch. I fail to see how that's valid, either. 

From Pace's perspective, yes. But I was talking more in general from the perspective of a fan. 

For instance, I could understand why someone would believe it was better to wait until next season to draft a QB IF that person believes the entire staff will be gone, because the next staff coming in will not be forced to try and work with a QB whose skillset may not fit their preferred philosophy and scheme. Instead, hey can choose the guy who they feel more comfortable with. 

Reasons like that I can get behind. I feel like this is kind of what happened to Nagy -- as just an example.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 11:51 PM, G08 said:

Off topic but you know who looks like Adam Shaheen to me on tape? Cole Kmet. Blasphemy and a touch of hyperbole -- I know -- but I just don't think I like him as a "Kelce" or "Ertz" type of TE in our system.

#stiff

7.44 cone 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, G08 said:

#stiff

7.44 cone 

I was pretty underwhelmed by the TEs tbh. Trautman’s cone was elite WR like but underwhelmed with a 4.80 40. You mentioned Kmet. Harrison Bryant didn’t test well in anything in particular and has t-rex arms. Moss being shorter than expected then hurt. Hunter Bryant was just ok. Hopkins had a good 40 but was average everything else. 

Definitely some recency bias, but Claypool may be the best TE prospect as far as our need goes for a guy to play U. He could be awesome in that role. 

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I was pretty underwhelmed by the TEs tbh. Trautman’s cone was elite WR like but underwhelmed with a 4.80 40. You mentioned Kmet. Harrison Bryant didn’t test well in anything in particular and has t-rex arms. Moss being shorter than expected then hurt. Hunter Bryant was just ok. Hopkins had a good 40 but was average everything else. 

Definitely some recency bias, but Claypool may be the best TE prospect as far as our need goes for a guy to play U. He could be awesome in that role. 

I was extremely underwhelmed. Kmet looked like another Adam Shaheen type on tape with his lack of fluidity. 

Makes sense with these rumors that we are all in on Hooper. Apparently Pace liked him in the draft (but took Bullard instead 🤦🏽‍♂️) 

Why can't we look at signing him in FA as the same as us drafting and re-signing him? Only difference is he wasn't in the building... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

I was extremely underwhelmed. Kmet looked like another Adam Shaheen type on tape with his lack of fluidity. 

Makes sense with these rumors that we are all in on Hooper. Apparently Pace liked him in the draft (but took Bullard instead 🤦🏽‍♂️) 

Why can't we look at signing him in FA as the same as us drafting and re-signing him? Only difference is he wasn't in the building... 

I was a fan of the Bullard pick too. A lot of us expected his pass rush skills to transition to the league and they just didn’t show up really at all. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I was a fan of the Bullard pick too. A lot of us expected his pass rush skills to transition to the league and they just didn’t show up really at all. 

I was a fan... thought he was going to be our Ray McDonald

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Ditto.  Shame he never turned into anything productive but he wasn't viewed as a bad pick at the time.  

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He was used out of position too. He had a nasty first step but they never used him in a 4-3 set up, so he never got to show anything. Shame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Romen said:

He was used out of position too. He had a nasty first step but they never used him in a 4-3 set up, so he never got to show anything. Shame.

That's my take on him as well.  As a 280lbs 3 tech DT that he more truly was built to be he may have done far better but we asked him to play at 295-300lbs as a 5 tech DE and IMHO that wasn't playing to his strengths.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 10:53 AM, AZBearsFan said:

I remember he had a really explosive get off in college.  Thought that would help him more than it did.  It never really showed up in NFL.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 7:16 PM, The_Romen said:

Yes.  Sorry I didn't see your post when I did mine.  

On 2/27/2020 at 10:33 PM, AZBearsFan said:

I watched a little Kmet last night.  ND guy right?

I don't watch combine much.  

I didn't get into him.  Just like 12- 15  reps vs a couple of teams.  I think he is a pretty good receiver.  He is good athlete.  I don't find him stiff.  Unless you are talking about sudden change of direction then yeah.   That isn't really his game.   But he is a smooth runner with pretty good hands and good speed.  Not great, but good.  

But it seems too often when someone really squares up with him they over power him.  Not talking DL either.  Just LBs.

If that is happening in college against off ball LBs, he will get destroyed by NFL edge players.  And Bears want their TEs to be able to block these guys on run plays.

He is an effort guy.  I will give him that.  If you aren't squaring up with him he is pesky which is good.   

I watched some other draftable TEs briefly and they tend to loaf when they are not the target or are uninterested blockers. That just pisses me off.

He probably would have been our best TE last year.  But on most teams he is a back up with some upside.  

• Like 2