End of season 1st mock

OneTwoSixFive

Just now, OneTwoSixFive said:

We can revisit this after the draft and see what actually happened.

I don't want to make it sounds like I'm just pooping on it because I don't agree with it. Truthfully, I don't do my own mocks this early because I don't know enough about the players in the draft.

But the money just doesn't make any sense. We have a ton of cap space and we didn't do anything with it. You said Linsley was cut to extend Aaron Jones. Aaron Jones' new cap hit off an extension would start in 2021, and Linsley is a free agent in 2021. Just let Linsley walk then, you're cutting cap just to roll it over next year to use on Aaron Jones. It's unnecessary ... I just don't get it. 

35 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Aaron Jones' new cap hit off an extension would start in 2021, and Linsley is a free agent in 2021. Just let Linsley walk then, you're cutting cap just to roll it over next year to use on Aaron Jones. It's unnecessary ... I just don't get it. 

Okay, I get that part and can agree with the idea of that. I didn't want Jones to hit FA given his value for the Packers, but it might make more sense to allow that and let Linsley's contract play out - more continuity on the O line, then.

Of course if THAT is done you can get another decent FA like DL Brockers, as @HighCalebR had in his draft.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

54 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Okay, I get that part and can agree with the idea of that. I didn't want Jones to hit FA given his value for the Packers, but it might make more sense to allow that and let Linsley's contract play out - more continuity on the O line, then.

Of course if THAT is done you can get another decent FA like DL Brockers, as @HighCalebR had in his draft.

My main point is that Clark is the only one of the 4 you extended that would count against the 2020 cap if needed. 

To me it’s just pointless to look at drafting a QB in rds 6-7. Sure Brady was I drafted but let’s be real if we get a QB it’s because we’re seriously looking at someone to replace Rodgers in 3-4 years. Just a waste of a pick imo. Also if you’re bringOmg Jones and Williams back plus possiblly Ervin then we got Dexter Williams, not sure drafting another RB makes sense. We def need to draft 2 WR between rds 1-5 imo, most likely a slot guy and then a speedy down field guy.

I wouldn’t cut Linsely. His contract is median starting center, and we don’t have a replacement (Patrick signed career backup money). Cutting Linsely creates a need.

J Williams is not worth much more than minimum. Career 3.9 runner. I feel like you let him hit the market, and if he will play for us for near minimum, you do it

There are a couple surprises I have with this mock, but not so much the positions. I really like that you double dip at IDL as well.

You might be able to bump picks two and three down a spot TBH and land Reagor in the 2nd. No way Bredeson makes it to the 4th and as much as I'd like to see us grab a pure Guard that can handle the responsibilities we throw at him, I can't see us moving on from Billy Turner; too big a cap hit I suspect. I don't think Hamilton makes it past the 4th either. He's just done too much in the absence of guys ahead of him on the depth chart to make it past Day 2 of the draft even. He may rise above Madubuike; first we've see Madubuike in a draft, way to freshen things up.

Your biggest miss is Bailey. Bailey's not even considered to be a draftable player FWIW not to mention that he's a very limited athlete with no explosion who had major knee surgery just a couple months ago. MAJOR downgrade if we let Blake walk for this guy. Weaver or Patrick Queen out of LSU would be far better options. Don't see the need of spending another pick, albeit late, on a RB. We're pretty full up there and I wouldn't blow a pick on a QB in this class either TBH. 

4 hours ago, Golfman said:

Love ya brother but I'm a no on this mock. I don't see Shenault there at 30 to begin with. Spent money where I don't think it was wise and we are woefully weak in ILB after all of this, still. I appreciate the effort, just not for me. 

Shenault probably won't be there at 30, but if he isn't I think he'll be overdrafted due to his potential. He didn't exactly put up great numbers including a stinker against a really bad UCLA team. I don't see him as the explosive athlete some due and his injuries are a concern for me as well.

I can see from the criticisms that the non-draft part of my mock needs work. I never thought enough about re-negotiating a contract in season (the 2020 season) could mean a simple contract extension where the jump in cap cost doesn't kick in until 2021 (see Aaron Jones contract). this would free up enough money to allow Linsley to complete his contract with the Packers (to the end of 2020). 

I was unaware of ILB Bailey's injury, so with that in mind I'd go with my stated alternative there, Weaver. 

Additionally, since Jamaal Williams would only get a modest (compared to A.Jones) hike in pay, he, like Jones could simply be extended, meaning no extra cap cost until 2021.

I'll have to keep thee things in mind for any future mock.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

21 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Here is my first go at a 2020 draft and free agency. I haven't put $ numbers on the re-signings and vet FAs, but the losses and gains are designed to make it all doable under the cap.

Significant Losses:
ILB Blake Martinez
G Lane Taylor
C Corey Linsley
TE Jimmy Graham

Re-worked Contract
QB A.Rodgers (already done)

Significant New Contracts
Bryan Bulaga
NT Kenny Clark
LT David Bakhtiari (minimal additional cap hit due to existing contract being large)
RB Aaron Jones (retaining him is why Linsley needed releasing)
RB Jamaal Williams
TE Marcedes Lewis (not very expensive but good for TE development)

Big Veteran FA additions
ILB Corey Littleton

My thinking is that Martinez will cost too much (for what he is) and is released. Graham is not playing up to a $12m pa contract, and his release frees up $8m+. I'd like to keep Martinez but his production versus projected salary means he is gone (his replacement is in the draft). Littleton gets a monster hike in his current $3m salary and is the big veteran addition as an ILB coming into his prime, whose forte is coverage. Rams will struggle to keep him at a high salary (like $14m+) due to their cap situation.

Lane Taylor is released for a modest cap gain, I also release Linsley for a bigger cap return and the hole at guard is filled with a draft pick (Lucas Patrick stands in, until round 4 draftee is ready, or Patrick proves to be better). Elgton Jenkins takes over at Center. RB Jamaal Williams is replaceable if you look only at the stats, but he always runs hard and is a great locker room presence, I'd keep him if his next contract is modest, around $5m pa. He IS (sadly) expendable if the cap money is just too tight to make his deal.

Draft I tried to make this draft at thedraftnetwork and got virtually all these picks. 5th rounder TE Parkinson went three picks before the Packers turn, but that isn't significant. Shenault is often gone by pick 30 but was here this time around. Bredeson is sometimes there with the 4th pick, sometimes not. I got a picture for each draft pick and reduced their size from the often huge original pic, but they won't transfer to this post (I'm sure the original pics will, but most are huge pictures

1 WR Laviska Shenault 6'2”, 220, Colorado. Has the smarts, the height, the physical body, strong hands and speed, to be a quality moveable chess-piece. Runs more like a RB with the ball. Alternative pick WR Jalen Reagor.     https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/laviska-shenault-jr/NLQE1jFVo5

2 DL Justin Madubuike 6'3”, 304, Texas A&M Strong and quick, a gap penetrator to begin the upgrade from Lowry/Lancaster/M.Adams.  https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/justin-madubuike/xpRhCFjTkz

3 ILB Markus Bailey 6'1”, 240 Purdue. After losing Martinez, he will be the Martinez clone, mainly a gap-filling run stopper to pair with the veteran coverage ILB Littleton (see above). Alternative player (to draft) ILB Evan Weaver.   https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/markus-bailey/OtGYSwyJNA

4 G Ben Bredeson 6'5”, 325, Michigan Big, experienced tough mauler who can impact the run game as well as pass protect.  https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/ben-bredeson/cTxPUTk0o4

5  TE Colby Parkinson 6'7”, 251 Stanford Huge target with enough speed to threaten deeper parts of the field, and has great hands. Blocking is poor at this time but he has all the tools to become much better. I'd love to see him spend a year on the team with Marcedes Lewis to help him block well.  https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/colby-parkinson/xoMtmOliez

6a  RB Patrick Taylor 6'3”, 227, Memphis A bigger back who is powerful with decent (not great) speed along with solid pass catching ability. As he only played in one game this season (bad ankle) he is available with a 6th round pick.   https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/patrick-taylor-jr/D0U6vBx0cH

6b DL Davon Hamilton 6'4”, 310 Ohio St. Good mover, quick hands, experienced and strong. Can hold up vs double teams. which he faced constantly at Ohio St. Must learn to stay low after contact. Along with Keke, and draft pick Madubuike, he can complete a remake of the Packers D line.   https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/davon-hamilton/0rMLfjtcnZ

7a QB Kellen Mond 6'3”, 217, Texas A&M. Mond could be a gem of a pick. He needs to improve some things (obviously), but he has the live arm and good pocket awareness. He has decent speed when he runs for it. He can be accurate, but he can also be streaky, he needs to work on his throwing mechanics.   https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kellen-mond/jhx5XAPmG3

7b  CB Tino Ellis CB 6'1”, 195, Maryland. Scrappy corner with likeable coverage ability. The fundamentals are there to coach up........a nice project.   https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/tino-ellis/oR7wvQs6UF

This draft is outstanding on picking priorities and slotting them. Well done