Sign in to follow this  
jetskid007

2020 New York Jets Offseason version 1.0: Senior Bowl addition

34 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

You can cook it however you want, I just think the bust potential with Thomas is higher than the rest of the top 4 lineman, and we're starting to see that NFL people are thinking the same (re: Brugler, Jeremiah). As I wrote in my report, there's a lot of Jawaan Taylor/Cam Robinson/Greg Robinson going on there, which scares me. If push came to shove I'd still take him, but it would be like getting married to the girlfriend that's smoking hot and has her moments but clearly has some emotional/mental red flags that you hope get resolved RE: maturity of being married or via therapy lol. 

Douglas doesn't take me as a guy who really cares whether you play G/T; I think he'll opt to take the best offensive lineman, guys who can change the way your scheme works and how defenses are forced to game plan against you, and in this case its Wirfs regardless if he's playing LT, RT, or LG. Sure, you can always build from the outside-in while investing less on the interior guys/asking them to do less, but when you have a player to the caliber of Nelson/Martin, your playbook expands exponentially. Ideally you'd like that guy as a left tackle, but I fear that player is Mekhi Becton/he won't be available when we pick. 

I agree with this. Ive always been big on drafting the best talented OLineman and figure it out later. OTs are harder to do that with bc you need them a bit longer and agile than a guy you can just move to OG. But I am pro moving OTs to OG if they're the best talent on the board and you think they can play there and might struggle at OT in the NFL. 

I really like Becton.  I think he might have the highest ceiling out of all of these guys.  When I watched his tape this is what i saw.  I saw him make certain snaps look insanely easy.  He can effortlessly move people at times, and he moves like a guy 30-40 pounds lighter.  BUT, then there are other snaps where he looks lost or just flat out misses his guy.  Those aren't super often but it happens more than you like.  If he can even erase just some of those he could be a massive difference maker.  I am thinking like a Trent Brown type impact in the run game with better movement skills and better in with pass pro.  Wondering if you saw the same.  

Realistically I'd be happy with any of the top 4 OT's, and I do agree on the gap closing between RT and LT, i think it has gone from LT being quite a bit more valued to there being a very small difference between the 2 with LT taking a slight edge in value.  

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

Realistically I'd be happy with any of the top 4 OT's, and I do agree on the gap closing between RT and LT, i think it has gone from LT being quite a bit more valued to there being a very small difference between the 2 with LT taking a slight edge in value.  

It used to be LT >>>> LG >> C = RT >> RG

Now I'd argue its LT > RT > LG = RG > C

The game of football has always been a zig-zag. I honestly think the Giants "nascar" package from 2007 is what propelled both offenses and defenses to reconsider how they constructed their lines. It used to be so simple: the best/fastest pass rusher lined up at the 7-tech outside of the LT (the most athletic on the line), the quickest/most talented interior lineman would line up at the 3/B gap between the LT-LG (which is why LGs were so important and usually needed to be 2nd most talented player), then the 1-tech (a nose tackle or DT whose primary objective was to take up blockers) were usually subject to the most double-teams by the C and RG, but C's carried more importance as they directed the OL, and the RT was typically in charge of the strong-side DE or 5-tech DE but had help from the TE in pass protection for the most part. The Giants sought to expose mismatches with that package, then we saw more teams copying by moving their top pass rusher over the RT to expose teams weaknesses since. The advances in the exotic blitz packages (large credit to Rex, as he had to be more creative with the Jets than he was in BAL as they had established edge rushers and we didn't). This was also around the same time when teams were countering the defensive mismatches with the quick passing game, which resulted in the NFL seeking more interior DL talent. Hence, the past 6-8 years have been booming with truly elite multi-purpose interior DLineman, as college programs are beefing up would-be LBs/DEs into DTs (and former DBs into LBs), which has allowed teams to scrap the traditional "1-tech, 3-tech, 5-tech" usage by lining up defenders all over the place. The "beautiful chaos" on defense has resulted in the G position becoming that much more important - and now I'd say the difference between LG and RG is null. Center obviously has its importances, but now it's a more mental position and the most important function is blitz pickup, and the Gs are the ones who have to take on the most work- sometimes initiating block contract 2 to 3 players on a single play. IMO you can get away with having a smart center who is very limited talent in talent if you have really good guards, whereas I don't think having a great center makes up for a trash guard they way it used to.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Why would Henry Anderson restructure, just to get traded?

Why wouldn't he? The Jets give him a check for $3.5 million now in the form of a signing bonus, and he still makes his $3.5 million in game checks regardless what happens since it is guaranteed. From his perspective its money in his pocket regardless; maybe he wouldn't want to get traded but imagine if there was some slip up and he tested positive for something? His guarantees void and then the Jets can cut him for nothing. As for the team acquiring him, they become more comfortable taking on his contract - i.e. instead of paying him $7 million, they only pay $3.5 and the Jets pay the rest. 

Same could happen with Le'Veon. 

The stem and quick slants in general have been missing since Brandon Marshall. Need more guys who can run it like Jennings. Easy completion for the QB. DT did his best, but doesn’t have the explosion/flexibility he once had. Crowder is smooth but lacks the hips. In-breaking routes really not part of Robby’s game.

22 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

The stem and quick slants in general have been missing since Brandon Marshall. Need more guys who can run it like Jennings. Easy completion for the QB. DT did his best, but doesn’t have the explosion/flexibility he once had. Crowder is smooth but lacks the hips. In-breaking routes really not part of Robby’s game.

Ya really hard for a defender to cover this. Especially with his size. bc just lobbing it up to him and a back shoulder throw to him with his length and strength are always on the table for a CB to have to worry about as well.

If he can interview well (put his off the field issues behind him) and show he has a high character... he is someone who I would really like at 48. I have to see that to move him up there though. On skill alone he's a 1st rounder. But we know just skill is a small portion of the game.