1 yr RFA Arthur Maulet CB New York Jets
1 yr ERFA Ben Braden G New York Jets
1 yr ERFA Sam Ficken K New York Jets
1 yr  ERFA Bennett Jackson DB New York Jets
1 yr ERFA Leo Koloamatangi C New York Jets
1 yr ERFA Frankie Luvu LB New York Jets
1 yr ERFA Jeff Smith WR New York Jets
FREE AGENCY
TRADE: the New York Jets agree to send their 3rd round pick (68) and 2021 conditional 2nd round pick to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for EDGE Matthew Judon (franchise tagged) and their 3rd round pick (92)
5 yr $85M Matthew Judon EDGE Baltimore Ravens
4 yr $54M Graham Glasgow OL Detroit Lions
4 yr $39M Connor McGovern OL Denver Broncos
3 yr $21M Breshad Perriman WR Tampa Bay Bucanneers
2 yr $12M Jimmy Smith CB Baltimore Ravens
1 yr $5M Ronald Darby CB Philadelphia Eagles
1 yr $3M Darren Fells TE Houston Texans
1 yr $3M Clayton Geathers S Indianapolis Colts

2020 NFL DRAFT

DAY ONE
TRADE: the New York Jets agree to send their 1st round pick (11) to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for their 1st round pick (13), 4th round pick (119), and 5th round pick (160) 
1 13 Jedrick Wills OL Alabama
DAY TWO
2 48 KJ Hamler WR Penn State
3 79 Bryce Hall CB Virginia 
3 92 Danny Pinter OL Ball State
DAY THREE
4 117 Bradlee Anae DE Utah
4 119 John Hightower WR Boise State
5 158 James Proche WR SMU
5 160 Jet Anderson RB TCU
6 191 Jacob Breeland TE Oregon
6 221 Mykal Walker LB Fresno State
Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 3

A few notes: 

• I think the Jets will LOVE WR Van Jefferson, but ultimately, he's going to go between the Jets Round 3 picks after a huge senior bowl week. He's literally Terry McLaurin 2.0. I also expect them to be strongly connected to Michigan OL Jon Runyan Jr, but you can only spend so many picks on OL. At the end of the day, Jets have to be happy with their first 4 picks, even if there were some players they had hoped to land didn't make it to them. 
  • I don't think the Jets will feel fulfilled at the CB and EDGE positions, but the GM would tell you that this is a process. His main priority - meaning immediately - is to build around Sam Darnold, and that will mean heavily investing both money and draft picks in the offense. Ideally Bless Austin will take a step in his development so the Jets can run out he/Jimmy Smith/Pool for the year, with the others competing for spots in the pecking order. Similarly, the Jets won't have much change at EDGE other than the addition of Robinson, so they're expecting Phillips and Bashem to pick up where they left off, as well as some of the depth guys (i.e. Willis, John Franklin-Myers) to make an impact.
  • It's entirely possible the Jets make trades in Training Camp to address some of their weak spots. We were one of the more active teams leading up to the season, and it wouldn't shock me if the Jets made a trade for a player like Leonard Floyd if Douglas felt he was a missing piece. Also might be the time we see a Le'Veon Bell trade, given that the Jets will have paid his bonus money and teams may re-consider if they experience injury at the position. 

If i remember correctly you can't designate Tru as a post June 1st cut due to the collective bargaining agreement running out.  Unless they come up with some agreements before this FA period we are going to have much less cap savings from him.  

I am a bit hesitant to sign off on spending that much money on Scherff.  Guy has had several years in a row now end with shoulder surgeries.  Shoulder's scare the crap out of me, especially for the big fellas.  

I love the Glasgow signing.

You think Andrew Thomas lasts that long?  I think I'd take him over Wirfs, as I think he has more potential to become a franchise LT guy.  I'd still be very happy with Wirfs though, guy will certainly help with a road grading run game.  

I'm gonna have to look into this Juaun Jennings kid, I've seen you mention him a few times, I haven't see him going this high other places.  

I can dig the rest of the draft.  And i love the focus on the line.  This is what we should have been doing for years.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

If i remember correctly you can't designate Tru as a post June 1st cut due to the collective bargaining agreement running out.  Unless they come up with some agreements before this FA period we are going to have much less cap savings from him.  

I am a bit hesitant to sign off on spending that much money on Scherff.  Guy has had several years in a row now end with shoulder surgeries.  Shoulder's scare the crap out of

Unfortunately, that is correct.   Post June 1 designation requires 2 years in work as this year is the final year under current CBA without next season under contract.  Hence, all terminated contracts will be a whole final ($$) this year as of right now.   Good catch, Rampantjet.

Edited by JetsandI

2 hours ago, rampantjet said:

I am a bit hesitant to sign off on spending that much money on Scherff.  Guy has had several years in a row now end with shoulder surgeries.  Shoulder's scare the crap out of me, especially for the big fellas.  

You think Andrew Thomas lasts that long?  I think I'd take him over Wirfs, as I think he has more potential to become a franchise LT guy.  I'd still be very happy with Wirfs though, guy will certainly help with a road grading run game.  

I'm gonna have to look into this Juaun Jennings kid, I've seen you mention him a few times, I haven't see him going this high other places.  

I can dig the rest of the draft.  And i love the focus on the line.  This is what we should have been doing for years.  

Nice catch. Admittedly I've been working on this for months, revisiting and revising as I saw fit, so I'm sure there are a few more errors in there. Either way, it shouldn't impact our cap positioning (as it stands I had about $20m available post-draft in my excel sheet). 

First, let me address RT vs. LT. The Athletic wrote how from an importance standpoint, teams are no longer distinguishing the left as "more important" than the right: https://theathletic.com/1023509/2019/06/12/there-is-no-longer-a-distinction-between-left-tackles-and-right-tackles/. The reason being? In the past teams used to put their best, fastest pass rusher on the blind side, but we're seeing this less and less. As high schools and colleges all the way up to the NFL adjusted over the decades by putting terrific athletes on the blind side, defenses started to zag again by lining up their best/fastest pass rushers over the RT. Now, we see them line up all over the place. What the article doesn't cover is how RT vs. LT still has differences, most notably in the run game, and being that TEs typically line up on the right of the formation, you need your RTs to have some more power (since they do spend time facing 3s and 5s), meaning you're LT is playing on an island more often. Also, the RT carries much heavier importance in the run game, which is also often designed to go right. 

Andrew Thomas: we're going to see him start falling out of favor as the draft nears. He's absolutely a top-notch prospect, but also has the most bust potential of the top 4 guys. He comes with some work ethic questions, and his unwillingness to clean up his mechanics is going to resonate with some front offices. He has weird footwork that has worked for him, but relies wayyyy too much on his upper body strength. That won't work in the NFL. In many ways, he's Greg Robinson. Robinson has carved out a solid career, but his development was massively stunted because of his inability to become more technical. What will be key for him is to readjust his lower half. If he can, he'll be alright, but if he continues to be stubborn with it you'll blink and everyone will be saying "what could have been". 

Why teams will have Becton, Wills, and Wirfs higher: safety. Despite being a massive player, Becton looks the most natural as a LT of all the Ts and that includes Thomas. His size makes you think that he's a mauler (which he is), but what's going to get him paid is that he's a dancing bear. His game starts with his feet and works its way through his hips/chest/hands, which is what you want in a LT, and it helps him even more that he's HUGE - think about it: how many people can get around him or go through him in less than 3 seconds? He showed that he was capable of in 2019, and the primary concern going forward is whether he can stay in shape. If he can get his play weight down to 350, woof... Wills/Wirfs are high-floor, high-ceiling prospects as long as you can get over that their best NFL positions may not be at LT. They both have the athletic ability to, but I don't think its their game to be an "iso" OL who sits on an island and keeps the QBs backside clean. They're both very good pass protectors and have everything you look for in terms of lower half mechanics, but they're power/movement-players by nature. You're getting more out of them at RT/G then you would at LT as ridiculous as that sounds. Wirfs is bigger, but I see so much of Zack Martin in him. Both high-hipped, thick base, broad torso, powerful upper bodies despite not being extremely lengthy, and are on the same tier in terms of athleticism. I think you can play him at LT, but as a pulling RT/LG he can be truly elite.

It'll come down to where they get drafted, but if I'm the Jets, don't force any of these prospects to be LTs; bring them in and see where they fit best. In the big picture it won't matter that much, especially when you have a QB like Darnold whose routinely moving around the pocket... just put some studs in front of him and good things will happen. 

13 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

A few notes: 

• I think the Jets will LOVE WR Van Jefferson, but ultimately, he's going to go between the Jets Round 3 picks after a huge senior bowl week. He's literally Terry McLaurin 2.0. I also expect them to be strongly connected to Michigan OL Jon Runyan Jr, but you can only spend so many picks on OL. At the end of the day, Jets have to be happy with their first 4 picks, even if there were some players they had hoped to land didn't make it to them. 
  • I don't think the Jets will feel fulfilled at the CB and EDGE positions, but the GM would tell you that this is a process. His main priority - meaning immediately - is to build around Sam Darnold, and that will mean heavily investing both money and draft picks in the offense. Ideally Bless Austin will take a step in his development so the Jets can run out he/Jimmy Smith/Pool for the year, with the others competing for spots in the pecking order. Similarly, the Jets won't have much change at EDGE other than the addition of Robinson, so they're expecting Phillips and Bashem to pick up where they left off, as well as some of the depth guys (i.e. Willis, John Franklin-Myers) to make an impact.
  • It's entirely possible the Jets make trades in Training Camp to address some of their weak spots. We were one of the more active teams leading up to the season, and it wouldn't shock me if the Jets made a trade for a player like Leonard Floyd if Douglas felt he was a missing piece. Also might be the time we see a Le'Veon Bell trade, given that the Jets will have paid his bonus money and teams may re-consider if they experience injury at the position. 

Nice job, very helpful. I do agree with you, I just hope you didn't do all this work on your boss's time.

9 hours ago, rampantjet said:

I agree with you. I think Wills will be the 1st OT off the board in this draft. After that it will be whoever teams like. Thomas, Becton and Wirfs will be in a big group. I'd be happy with any one of them to be honest. I do think that Becton has the highest risk factor, but also could be the best of the group just as easily. Outside of Wills, I think Thomas is the safest pick given this board. So I'd take him over Wirfs. But I'd be happy with either.

Regarding Jennings. He's highly talented and think of DT when you think of him. Big physical and can run. Great body control. Whats his knock? Off the field issues. Drugs, issues yelling at coaches, etc. For me that doesn't warrant being picked at 48. For a team that desperately needs WR talent.. I dont think he's the answer. Bc everyone else in this offseason isnt moving the needle at all (resigning DT who's a shell of himself and Tajae Sharpe). Kid could be great bc physically he has all the tools and he has that competitive edge. But he just as easily can get kicked out of the league for being stupid. I agree that there's hard to argue that a more talented prospect will be available in this area. But I just dont think we are a team that can afford that risk with a 22yr old QB we're hoping to be a franchise QB. What I do like is the pick of Davis in the 4th. I doubt he will be available this late, but you never know. Bets way to hope he falls here is a slow 40. Bc he isnt a guy that will kill you with quickness and speed. But he will kill you with size, strength and catching ability.

• Like 1

Another thing about Andrew Thomas to consider is the elite LG play from Kindley.  Thomas did not concern himself with DL rushing up the middle, he only had to concern himself with the edge.  That said, if we can somehow land Thomas and Kindley, I think our left side of the OL will be set for a while.

• Like 1

All the great teams of the past have been built thru the draft, the Cowboys, Steelers, New England, Giants & the Baltimore Colts. FA are great when you have to fill two or three holes in your roster. It work for us several; years ago when we picked up Decker, Marshall, & Faneca. But the draft is the key, and you can't built a top team in one draft. The last five years of Macc  horrible drafting has set us back years, three of Maccs, top first round picks. were trade for the three third round picks, that is a formula for failure. I am really curious how Douglas is going to handle the offseason. Even our Super Bowl winning team was built thru the draft with players like Namath, Boozer, Matt Snell. & George Sauer Jr. 

Edited by doumeyer

Fantastic read as always. Love the depth and breakdown of all components of the offseason. 

I would love to trade back this draft (like we nearly always say) and if we can add more picks for Douglas to work with I think he will turn this thing around quickly for us. 

I’m also not that fussed on prioritising any one position on the o-line. I’d prefer to put as many studs as we can get and just protect Sam. Not bothered if we spend the 11th pick on a elite guard or left tackle. Great thing is this is the year to get offensive lineman and with Douglas scouting them I feel we are in a very strong position 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with you. I think Wills will be the 1st OT off the board in this draft. After that it will be whoever teams like. Thomas, Becton and Wirfs will be in a big group. I'd be happy with any one of them to be honest. I do think that Becton has the highest risk factor, but also could be the best of the group just as easily. Outside of Wills, I think Thomas is the safest pick given this board. So I'd take him over Wirfs. But I'd be happy with either.

Regarding Jennings. He's highly talented and think of DT when you think of him. Big physical and can run. Great body control. Whats his knock? Off the field issues. Drugs, issues yelling at coaches, etc. For me that doesn't warrant being picked at 48. For a team that desperately needs WR talent.. I dont think he's the answer. Bc everyone else in this offseason isnt moving the needle at all (resigning DT who's a shell of himself and Tajae Sharpe). Kid could be great bc physically he has all the tools and he has that competitive edge. But he just as easily can get kicked out of the league for being stupid. I agree that there's hard to argue that a more talented prospect will be available in this area. But I just dont think we are a team that can afford that risk with a 22yr old QB we're hoping to be a franchise QB. What I do like is the pick of Davis in the 4th. I doubt he will be available this late, but you never know. Bets way to hope he falls here is a slow 40. Bc he isnt a guy that will kill you with quickness and speed. But he will kill you with size, strength and catching ability.

What I think, not necessarily what I want 

45 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

All the great teams of the past have been built thru the draft, the Cowboys, Steelers, New England, Giants & the Baltimore Colts. FA are great when you have to fill two or three holes in your roster. It work for us several; years ago when we picked up Decker, Marshall, & Faneca. But the draft is the key, and you can't built a top team in one draft. The last five years of Macc  horrible drafting has set us back years, three of Maccs, top first round picks. were trade for the three third round picks, that is a formula for failure. I am really curious how Douglas is going to handle the offseason. Even our Super Bowl winning team was built thru the draft with players like Namath, Boozer, Matt Snell. & George Sauer Jr. 

I think the primary thing to understand is that teams Joe Douglas has been associated with go into each offseason with an agenda to “fix” their biggest weakness. It doesn’t always work, but that’s why I say we should expect the Jets to become more “needs based” under Douglas. He and his front office are all all stars in the scouting community; they’re not afraid to take a player perceived as a “reach” if they believe in what that player is capable of, especially if that player fits within the agenda.  

Entering 2017 the Eagles biggest weakness was pass defense. The responded by signing a pass rusher, signing a CB, trading for a CB, and drafting a pass rusher in R1 and CB back to back in rounds 2-3. Stuff like this was a theme in BAL as well. 

With that, I think the Jets have identified OL as their biggest weakness, and when you consider that Douglas ground his teeth by being an OL scouting specialist, I think we should expect that he’s going to dump a ton of resources into the position, and will draft at least one every year in rounds 3-7. Yes, there are needs at WR, CB, and DE as well, but they can’t address every position with premium resources in 1 year. They’ll focus on building around Sam this year and see how the defense works out under Gregg in season 2. You can be damn sure that CB/EDGE will be high on the shopping list in 2021 either way

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Another thing about Andrew Thomas to consider is the elite LG play from Kindley.  Thomas did not concern himself with DL rushing up the middle, he only had to concern himself with the edge.  That said, if we can somehow land Thomas and Kindley, I think our left side of the OL will be set for a while.

True. But why cant we put a good LG next to him as well? Or RG for that matter. We shouldn't just be getting 1 or 2 OLineman this offseason. A HUGE amount of money should be spent on atleast 2-3 guys in FA and hopefully a pick at 11. And even in the midrounds.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

True. But why cant we put a good LG next to him as well? Or RG for that matter. We shouldn't just be getting 1 or 2 OLineman this offseason. A HUGE amount of money should be spent on atleast 2-3 guys in FA and hopefully a pick at 11. And even in the midrounds.

You can cook it however you want, I just think the bust potential with Thomas is higher than the rest of the top 4 lineman, and we're starting to see that NFL people are thinking the same (re: Brugler, Jeremiah). As I wrote in my report, there's a lot of Jawaan Taylor/Cam Robinson/Greg Robinson going on there, which scares me. If push came to shove I'd still take him, but it would be like getting married to the girlfriend that's smoking hot and has her moments but clearly has some emotional/mental red flags that you hope get resolved RE: maturity of being married or via therapy lol. 

Douglas doesn't take me as a guy who really cares whether you play G/T; I think he'll opt to take the best offensive lineman, guys who can change the way your scheme works and how defenses are forced to game plan against you, and in this case its Wirfs regardless if he's playing LT, RT, or LG. Sure, you can always build from the outside-in while investing less on the interior guys/asking them to do less, but when you have a player to the caliber of Nelson/Martin, your playbook expands exponentially. Ideally you'd like that guy as a left tackle, but I fear that player is Mekhi Becton/he won't be available when we pick.