Jaguars hiring Jay Gruden as OC

.Buzz

Idk what he is as a head coach (sounds like he had his issues, but Washington also has had a bad situation with the FO/Ownership), but as an OC he did wonders for Dalton and Cousins.

On top of that, his offense fits Minshew to a damn tee. Think Jay should jive super well with Gardner personality wise too.

Homerun hire, Doug. We needed this.

Edited by .Buzz
  • Like 2

The best part of all of this is he uses a ton of play action. Minshew rated as one of the best in the NFL while using play action and yet Flip ran it the least.

His system should cater to Minshew and his development with a young Dalton and Cousins was fantastic. 

Just gotta find him some more protection and a couple weapons and let's ride.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

The best part of all of this is he uses a ton of play action. Minshew rated as one of the best in the NFL while using play action and yet Flip ran it the least.

His system should cater to Minshew and his development with a young Dalton and Cousins was fantastic. 

Just gotta find him some more protection and a couple weapons and let's ride.

Gruden will probably be your interim coach by week 15. Then Gruden will be your head coach going into 2021. Just seems like the Jags thing to do. 

10 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Gruden will probably be your interim coach by week 15. Then Gruden will be your head coach going into 2021. Just seems like the Jags thing to do. 

Wouldn't have even been against him had he been hired as HC this year. Maybe not my top candidate (Bieniemy, McCarthy, Wink+Brady as OC), but if he continues to develop Minshew and gives good reason to have an opportunity for the HC spot I would be fine with it.

He was the HC for one of the most incompetent organizations in football. Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder would be awful to work for. He had very little talent offensively to work with during his time there, and when he did have a QB that he had time to develop he did well. Same thing for what he did in Cincinnati (which also isn't a easy place to win) with a super meh Andy Dalton and got his best years out of him.

Time will tell, but he's better than any other OC candidates out there. If he doesn't perform well as OC, the guy isn't getting the HC job. Regardless, I'm not thinking about a bad year next year until I see what the team does this off-season. So far this is a big upgrade to the offensive staff.

Edited by .Buzz
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Idk what he is as a head coach (sounds like he had his issues, but Washington also has had a bad situation with the FO/Ownership), but as an OC he did wonders for Dalton and Cousins.

On top of that, his offense fits Minshew to a damn tee. Think Jay should jive super well with Gardner personality wise too.

Homerun hire, Doug. We needed this.

You nailed it. It was a double edged sword there. He did seem to kinda "quit" at the end. That said, I really like this hire for you all. I think the Vikings should have 100% pounced on this. 

• Like 2