Jaguars hiring Jay Gruden as OC

.Buzz

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Could you all afford him?

Dareus has a 20M cap hit he's not getting that'll clear a lot. Calais and Bouye are TBD. Then several guys making 4-7M that expect to be cut.

Should have anywhere from 30-60M depending on who's let go/what happens with Yan.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

You nailed it. It was a double edged sword there. He did seem to kinda "quit" at the end. That said, I really like this hire for you all. I think the Vikings should have 100% pounced on this. 

Yeah the Vikings should have hopped on this because they have the weapons to the tee to do what Gruden wants to do. That’s why his success here will be minimum he doesn’t have the pieces to make it work here it doesn’t matter who you hire. It probably would have been better to keep flip because you allow your team to get some type of familiarity with the offense. People are thinking this hire means an instant uptick in offense.. how with what pieces? Now you have to deal with mediocrity at Oline .. which puts you in bind because you can’t draft the Jeudy’s and the Lambs of the draft. So you either draft game breaker and play with the bums you’ve been playing with on the Oline. Or you finally decided we need to up grade this line but we believe in our scouting team to get us solid guys deeper in the draft for lineman let’s get out of the stone age of football and take a shot on a play maker. This team is put together with a bunch of mismatch pieces. Now this team is back to having no identity except for being ‘Inept in everything football related’.

You could of coaxed Lincoln Riley to come OC for this squad and it wouldn’t move my needle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DuvalsKing said:

Yeah the Vikings should have hopped on this because they have the weapons to the tee to do what Gruden wants to do. That’s why his success here will be minimum he doesn’t have the pieces to make it work here it doesn’t matter who you hire. It probably would have been better to keep flip because you allow your team to get some type of familiarity with the offense. People are thinking this hire means an instant uptick in offense.. how with what pieces? Now you have to deal with mediocrity at Oline .. which puts you in bind because you can’t draft the Jeudy’s and the Lambs of the draft. So you either draft game breaker and play with the bums you’ve been playing with on the Oline. Or you finally decided we need to up grade this line but we believe in our scouting team to get us solid guys deeper in the draft for lineman let’s get out of the stone age of football and take a shot on a play maker. This team is put together with a bunch of mismatch pieces. Now this team is back to having no identity except for being ‘Inept in everything football related’.

You could of coaxed Lincoln Riley to come OC for this squad and it wouldn’t move my needle.

The off-season hasn't even started. Minshew, Chark, and Lenny with decent depth WRs like Conley, Dede, and Cole is definitely something to work with. It's not like he had god squads in Cincy and Washington with young mid round QBs at the helm in Dalton and Cousins (both of which he made them look better than they are and got them large contracts).

If you don't like him that's fine. But ultimately the guy is known for finding and developing players and making an offense to fit the strengths of his players. Guys like him don't get where they are because they were handed elite talent from the jump and never did anything else.

Edited by .Buzz

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

The off-season hasn't even started. Minshew, Chark, and Lenny with decent depth WRs like Conley, Dede, and Cole is definitely something to work with. It's not like he had god squads in Cincy and Washington with young mid round QBs at the helm in Dalton and Cousins (both of which he made them look better than they are and got them large contracts).

If you don't like him that's fine. But ultimately the guy is known for finding and developing players and making an offense to fit the strengths of his players. Guys like him don't get where they are because they were handed elite talent from the jump and never did anything else.

You pick and choose what you want to read.. when did I say I hate him? You have Leonard, and Chark and decent depth at wide receiver? That’s exactly why this team never succeeds and never admits failure because they are always content and they keep throwing the same players on the field yr after yr expecting the same results because they are coached by different people. So I expect them to run the same offensive personnel adding in some middle of the road FAs (insert this yrs Conley, Moncrief) and developmental offensive pieces.. they’ll retool the defense with majority of the draft capital. Fournette will still be running behind a subpar Oline that can’t run block and can’t keep your man Minshew up right. You can pretty much forecast everything this team does before they actually do it. I say last year don’t sign Foles why invest that money in someone who hasn’t shown you that he can play 16 games. What happens? They sign Foles he plays 4 games. Last yr I predicted the Jags to go 7-9 they ended up 6-10. This type of obscurity isn’t hard to break down it’s actually fairly easily.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

You pick and choose what you want to read.. when did I say I hate him? You have Leonard, and Chark and decent depth at wide receiver? That’s exactly why this team never succeeds and never admits failure because they are always content and they keep throwing the same players on the field yr after yr expecting the same results because they are coached by different people. So I expect them to run the same offensive personnel adding in some middle of the road FAs (insert this yrs Conley, Moncrief) and developmental offensive pieces.. they’ll retool the defense with majority of the draft capital. Fournette will still be running behind a subpar Oline that can’t run block and can’t keep your man Minshew up right. You can pretty much forecast everything this team does before they actually do it. I say last year don’t sign Foles why invest that money in someone who hasn’t shown you that he can play 16 games. What happens? They sign Foles he plays 4 games. Last yr I predicted the Jags to go 7-9 they ended up 6-10. This type of obscurity isn’t hard to break down it’s actually fairly easily.

Alright, sounds good.

Edited by .Buzz

21 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

You nailed it. It was a double edged sword there. He did seem to kinda "quit" at the end. That said, I really like this hire for you all. I think the Vikings should have 100% pounced on this. 

Vikings promoted Gary Kubiac as OC.  It makes more sense because he was with team since last off season; no the team and has most of his system in place.

You guys have a great coach on offense.  Jay had his faults as HC but offense wasn't one of them, when he had a QB.  And The Skins offensive woes started when Kirk was let go and had to use QBs they grabbed off the streets.

Now I'm not going to lie he will make some mistakes that will make you want to scream bloody murder like abandoning the run and going into pass mode like he's playing Madden in his living room with his mates.  But he is good with game plans and he can develop a signal caller with time, like Kirk Cousins and Andy Dalton.  And now that hes the OC some of issues can be overriden by the HC. 

This could be a case where hes a better coordinator than coach.  Either way your teams offense will see a significant upgrade.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FosterTheSkins said:

Vikings promoted Gary Kubiac as OC.  It makes more sense because he was with team since last off season; no the team and has most of his system in place.

You guys have a great coach on offense.  Jay had his faults as HC but offense wasn't one of them, when he had a QB.  And The Skins offensive woes started when Kirk was let go and had to use QBs they grabbed off the streets.

Now I'm not going to lie he will make some mistakes that will make you want to scream bloody murder like abandoning the run and going into pass mode like he's playing Madden in his living room with his mates.  But he is good with game plans and he can develop a signal caller with time, like Kirk Cousins and Andy Dalton.  And now that hes the OC some of issues can be overriden by the HC. 

This could be a case where hes a better coordinator than coach.  Either way your teams offense will see a significant upgrade.

Appreciate the insight here.

Most coordinators have a thing or two that annoys the hell out of fans so if it has to do with spreading it out/airing it out I could think of worse things at least.

• Like 1

I'm actually really excited about this.  I really never thought someone with Gruden's experience and prestige, would come anywhere near our mess.

Makes me wonder if he's angling for an "interim coach" opportunity.  But i honestly don't care.  He's as good an OC as this organization could hope for.  I wouldn't even be mad if he were made "interim HC".  He's also the perfect sort of OC to carry on with what Flip did with Minshew.  I didn't think Flip needed to be fired...but it is what it is.  Gruden coming in though, it all makes a lot of sense.  He's shown he can get a ton out of a weak and limited QB.

Just really shocked he jumped on this opportunity so immediately.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 2:37 AM, Tugboat said:

I'm actually really excited about this.  I really never thought someone with Gruden's experience and prestige, would come anywhere near our mess.

Makes me wonder if he's angling for an "interim coach" opportunity.  But i honestly don't care.  He's as good an OC as this organization could hope for.  I wouldn't even be mad if he were made "interim HC".  He's also the perfect sort of OC to carry on with what Flip did with Minshew.  I didn't think Flip needed to be fired...but it is what it is.  Gruden coming in though, it all makes a lot of sense.  He's shown he can get a ton out of a weak and limited QB.

Just really shocked he jumped on this opportunity so immediately.

There wasn't too many OC openings left. Not sure if he got contacted about the others or not but it seemed like most candidates were either offensive minds that wanted a say in the offense OR were loyal to other guys.

Here he should have full control to do what he wants since Marrone let's his coordinators largely do what they want while overseeing them.

Minshew also seems to be a solid fit in his offense. As I said, if he can continue to develop Minshew that's just another QB he can add to his resume that he helped develop to be a long term starting QB like Dalton and Cousins.

• Like 1