How do you value Tannehill?

dtait93

On 1/21/2020 at 10:30 PM, Chiefer said:

He’s a game manager with upside.

Reminds me a lot of a young Alex Smith, solid but I don’t think he gets you to the SB.

In the sense of being relied upon to subsidize several offensive short-comings? Because a lot of mediocre QBs have gotten to the Super Bowl where you don't need an elite All-Pro if you have a good enough team. Alex Smith's special teams and defense were the reason he didn't make 2 Super Bowls (well 1 for certain, the other is a probability).

4 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I see Tannehill as a better version of 2011-2012 Alex Smith. Mobile, accurate, and limits mistakes and turnovers. He will be a great hold-over QB for a few years while the Titans can find their long-term QB in a year or two.

Edited by x0x

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 10:18 PM, dtait93 said:

QB needy teams: NE, MIA, IND, LAC, DAL, WSH, NO, TB, CAR, OAK*, DEN*, CIN*

Can we stop this narrative please like Washington didn't just spend a first rounder on a guy who showed growth as the time went on? Seriously. It's getting old.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I was thinking Rivers and Arians, as that seemed to me a better fit--and a smaller commute for Rivers. But...if Brady leaves NE, then that means he's going somewhere, so you could well be right. 

Rivers doesn't have the arm strength for Arians' system.

If there are 2 teams to peg Brady to if he chooses to leave NE (it won't be the other way around) - LAC & IND are the most complete teams that can fill their other holes through FA & the draft.   TAM I don't see Brady being that plussed by, if he's going somewhere else, it's to win another crown.  TAM is making great progress, but LAC & IND are even closer.   LAC also offers a huge market selling opportunity - they need a big splash move to create interest for an otherwise indifferent city.  Star power is usually the only move that catches their eye.

All of which to say for Tannehill - I see a return with TEN as pretty much inevitable.  Both TEN & Tanny know they can succeed with each other, and both are tough spots if they part ways, in finding better fits for their system/skills.   The Q is whether it's a tag, or a longer deal IMO.   That's a much tougher Q to answer.

Edited by Broncofan

I wouldn't give him a big deal until he can prove that a) He can replicate this level of play next season. b) He can stay healthy for another full season.

As some had said already - I think they tag him. Probably the best move just to confirm that he's who you hope he is.

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Can we stop this narrative please like Washington didn't just spend a first rounder on a guy who showed growth as the time went on? Seriously. It's getting old.

I’m gonna be honest, I completely forgot they even drafted Haskins and have no idea who he did or didn’t look lol

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:22 PM, RavensDefense3 said:

he's a proven below average qb. titans will be making a big mistake if they pay him for going on a fluky run.

How is it a fluke when he put up similarly solid numbers in Miami?  Look at his numbers in Miami; he showed steady improvement every season until the injury bug hit in 2017.  To act like Tannehill has been a bum up until 2019 is dishonest...

Would you feel the same way if the Ravens decided to give Lamar a big contract?

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 12:40 AM, AkronsWitness said:

I just really hope they look at 2017 Case Keenum as a caution tale and dont break the bank for him. They need to keep that defense top 5 strong in order to replicate future success and handing out high level $$ to Tannehill based off of 1/2 season could potentially set them back---especially when you also have to pay good money to keep Henry.

The difference is Keenum had never done anything remotely decent prior to 2017.  If you look at it, Tannehill put up solid numbers in Miami. 

I honestly don't see Tannehill looking for anything outrageous contract-wise anyway; I could be wrong tho.  And I know Henry is the better player, but are you suggesting that it's safer to pay Henry?  Look at Gurley, Elliott, and Bell... how'd that work out?   I'd be scared to death to pay Henry.  ...and If you look at their numbers, Henry's 2019 was more of an anomaly than Tanny, yet everyone seems all in on Henry, and second guessing Tannehill. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:18 AM, lolsurebro said:

We just witnessed his ceiling. I don't think he gets any better, and TEN this year was a team performance not a Tannehill lead regime.

Keep him, but start investing in a QB with more promise and a potentially higher ceiling.

We don't know that, and even if it was in fact his ceiling, it was pretty good right?

They can sign Tannehill and still draft a QB if they want.  However, I don't see the point in chasing your tail in the draft/developing a rookie, when you have a more than capable QB right under your nose.. 

Are you suggesting they invest in another free agent?

14 hours ago, frenchie said:

We don't know that, and even if it was in fact his ceiling, it was pretty good right?

They can sign Tannehill and still draft a QB if they want.  However, I don't see the point in chasing your tail in the draft/developing a rookie, when you have a more than capable QB right under your nose.. 

Are you suggesting they invest in another free agent?

Keep him, but start investing in a QB with more promise and a potentially higher ceiling.

Are people calling his 2019 above avg or mearly good? 😂😂😂 he lead the league in passer rating, with a high agg%, high ypa and a high comp%. No sign of a game manager anywhere. If he plays at that level for the full season next year, he will be the best qb in the league.

I mean why cant this be a Drew Brees. Was bad with Chargers with 1 or 2 good years, switched teams and excelled with a specific coach and team.

On 1/22/2020 at 7:39 AM, ET80 said:

Blake Bortles did something similar. 10 out of 16, AFCCG...

(I agree he's not below average - but just pointing this out).

The comparison starts and ends with wins/how far they made it in the postseason. The play of the two wasn't even close to similar. Tannehill balled out pretty much all season once he took over as the starter and they then rode a historic run by Derrick Henry once they got in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

The comparison starts and ends with wins/how far they made it in the postseason. The play of the two wasn't even close to similar. Tannehill balled out pretty much all season once he took over as the starter and they then rode a historic run by Derrick Henry once they got in. 

Oh, I get that. Just saying that it's sometimes more causation than correlation.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 6:34 PM, frenchie said:

How is it a fluke when he put up similarly solid numbers in Miami?  Look at his numbers in Miami; he showed steady improvement every season until the injury bug hit in 2017.  To act like Tannehill has been a bum up until 2019 is dishonest...

Because if you took his best stat in every category from all of his years in Miami, none of them touch his stats from 2019 as a Titan. Except for YPG. 

Massive jumps in virtually every category that have never been seen prior, is exactly what a fluke is. Whether or not Tannehill proves that this is him or is in fact just an anomaly, we will see. 

39 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Because if you took his best stat in every category from all of his years in Miami, none of them touch his stats from 2019 as a Titan. Except for YPG. 

Massive jumps in virtually every category that have never been seen prior, is exactly what a fluke is. Whether or not Tannehill proves that this is him or is in fact just an anomaly, we will see. 

To keep it simple:

In 2014 he threw 27 TD, 4000 yds in 16 starts.

This year he threw 22 TDs, 2700 yds in 10 starts

i wouldn’t consider either of those jumps ‘massive ‘

and since you didn’t bother to address the other half of my post, I’ll just ask; would you consider Henry’s 2019 season a fluke?