Derek Jeter and Larry Walker elected to HoF

DirtyDez

3 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Give me your list bro. You’ll probably find a few guys from the 1920s who are borderline at worst based on the evaluation methods of their era.

It's not so much who DID get in that shouldn't have, but rather guys that fall off the ballot or do not get in that would have/would have sooner in BIG MARKETS:

*Kenny Lofton falling off the first time

*Omar Vizquel gets more love (I still think he gets in 2022/2023)

*Vlad (gets in 1st ballot)

*Larry Walker (Doesn't wait 10 years. See: Colorado and Montreal)

etc.

8 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Yup. But also ones that are in danger of falling off. I think Abreu is a hall of famer and was routinely underrated. Is he one of the top 10 that is eligible? No. But I'd have voted for him to ensure every chance he at least stayed on the ballot for future consideration (he just made it if anyone was wondering). Same goes for Giambi, who didn't stay on. I'd actually prioritize those guys over the ones in the middle who I know are safe but definitely not getting in, at least on this ballot.

I just hate when guys like Lofton and Kevin Brown are one and done. I can understand not thinking they are HoFers but they are so much better than people that have got in, let alone stay on the ballot. (I'd also include my most underrated player ever on this list - John Olerud)

I thought about mentioning Abreu, but he just feels so Hall of Very Good to me. It's an irrational thing though, you could totally make that argument. And I agree about the 1 and dones. Lance Berkman lasting 1 year on the ballot was a travesty.

But at this point, I don't know how to clean it up. If you vote for the guys to keep them on the ballot, you're not voting to clear the best guys out of the ballot so the congestion gets worse. If you vote for guys to get them to 75%, you're losing ballplayers who at least deserve 10 bites at the apple.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I thought about mentioning Abreu, but he just feels so Hall of Very Good to me. It's an irrational thing though, you could totally make that argument. And I agree about the 1 and dones. Lance Berkman lasting 1 year on the ballot was a travesty.

But at this point, I don't know how to clean it up. If you vote for the guys to keep them on the ballot, you're not voting to clear the best guys out of the ballot so the congestion gets worse. If you vote for guys to get them to 75%, you're losing ballplayers who at least deserve 10 bites at the apple.

The way I do it (as in how I do my hypothetical ballot) is vote for 1) Inner circle guys (this is sort of just my gut on if they belong inner circle I don't have an actual criteria) 2) the guys are think are going to be on the cusp of getting in (to clear up clutter) 3) the guys I think are at risk of falling off. Then I can fill in whats left with those in the middle. Like as an example Manny Ramirez absolutely deserves to be in the hall but it is clear from last years ballot that he would be safe but also no chance of getting in. He would be one of the last I used my vote on because other than signaling it really wouldn't serve a purpose as it wouldn't declutter anything or protect someone.

Then just hope that enough guys on that cusp get in to remove the clutter and I can vote for him next year.

The 10 only rule is definitely dumb, and it's been made infinitely worse by the moralizing of the voters not voting for "PED" guys.

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's not so much who DID get in that shouldn't have, but rather guys that fall off the ballot or do not get in that would have/would have sooner in BIG MARKETS:

*Kenny Lofton falling off the first time

*Omar Vizquel gets more love (I still think he gets in 2022/2023)

*Vlad (gets in 1st ballot)

*Larry Walker (Doesn't wait 10 years. See: Colorado and Montreal)

etc.

Lofton fell off because of the perceived gap between his sabermetric and traditional profile, plus he spent forever as a journeyman which hurts his narrative. The same thing hurt Tim Raines.

Vizquel’s candidacy is a joke.

Vlad being listed is a major stretch.

Walker only had to wait because of the morons who automatically dismiss any player who ever played in Denver.

The big market magic certainly didn’t work for Posada, Williams, Munson, Mattingly either. It didn’t work for Dwight Evans or Fred Lynn. It’s not working for Rolen.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*Ignore*

There are so many “big-market” players from that era who didn’t even get consideration for the HOF that were better players than Vizquel. Just off the top of my head:

Nomar Garciaparra

Jorge Posada

Bernie Williams

John Olerud

Moises Alou

Mark Grace

Matt Williams

Tim Salmon

Just now, redsoxsuck05 said:

There are so many “big-market” players from that era who didn’t even get consideration for the HOF that were better players than Vizquel. Just off the top of my head:

Nomar Garciaparra

*Audible laugh

Jorge Posada

It's a shame he fell off the ballot so soon.

Bernie Williams

Was a poor man's Kenny Lofton tbh.

John Olerud

When you're more famous for a helmet in the field than you are as a player, that's a problem.

Moises Alou

Old guy who urinates on his hands to prevent blisters, also plays baseball.

Mark Grace

I liked him a lot.

Matt Williams

Unfortunate PED stuff, but I really like(d) him as well.

Tim Salmon

I wouldn't personally call the Angels in his prime a good indicator of "big market" success and think that he's criminally underrated.

6 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Bulk stats, tons of top 5 CYA, and he played on winning teams. I could see not including him, but the bar for SP is so stupid high right now that I'm fine taking guys with resumes that seem short as pitchers and letting them in.

But like what starting pitcher worse than Andy has gotten in over the last 30 years or more? 

Jack Morris maybe but I think a lot of people were justifiably skeptical of him.

He seems like a borderline candidate at best.  He would be very far from the best candidate not inducted.

Todd Helton also doesn’t seem like a slam dunk to me considering he played with so many first baseman who were better than him (McGwire, Bagwell, Thomas, Thome, Pujols, Miggy, Palmeiro, Votto all overlapped and had better careers, McGrifd, Berkman, Giambi, and Delgado all comparable or arguably better, heck even  John Olreaud has a case)

Rolen and Andruw Jones aren’t inner circle guys but I’m definitely not offended by anyone supporting their candidacy