2020 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Running Backs

KC_Guy

An Overview:

This unit has been a mixed bag of bones. After the untimely departure of Kareem Hunt it has been in constant flux. A bunch of mid-level players, a big name - Little output offseason signing, a highly touted rookie, but Overall: what's the identity of a running back unit that surrenders the title of the best runner to their quarterback for two post-season games? Where a mid-season signing comes in and can take over without any problem? Can you blame the OL? The play calling? Granted, the Chiefs are not a team built around the run. Nope, this unit as of now is not fit for the job. Having two RBs on the practice squad may be an indication the brass has a similar feeling.

The Players:

Both Williamses will return for the final year of their current contract. Damien is not shy, he gives his all. But he lacks elusiveness and vision. He's not a guy opposing defenses will even game plan for. Darrell is supposed to be the faster one, and better in the passing game. That's important for the Chiefs' style of the game - but did anyone even notice he's on IR right now? On other teams both players would be replacement level.

Darwin Thompson some consider to be the saviour. Well, Bieniemy doesn't buy that for now. He's fast, he's more elusive than the others, but he also is small. He will never be the 8" HE shell ripping through stout defenses. And his small frame may limit him in pass protection as well.

The other guys, like Marcus Marshall (signed to a futures contract already) or practice squad players Elijah McGuire and Mike Weber are unknowns to me. I got a feeling that the Weber signing was considered a good one, so we will see.

I usually don't discuss players not under contract in These Posts, but here I'll make an exception:

LeSean McCoy is done. He didn't do anything in regular season, and towards the end, when a narrative "let's manage his snaps, we Need him for the post-season" was thrown around he did even less. Now in post-season: Nada. Nothing. Fare well .. have a nice ride into the sunset. A wasted roster spot throughout the year. But that may be Big Red's way to say "Thank You".

Spencer Ware came in on short notice when injury struck  .. and he didn't miss a beat. I think it's close naming him the best RB on the Team this year. Too bad he suffered a Season ending injury. I firmly believe he could really have helped in post-Season beyond what Wiliams did.

Finally: Anthony Sherman. The Sausage. His playing time on offense diminished with the limted role the run game has right now. So he's making his money on Special Teams. He played on a Minimum Veteran contract this year - and if he's willing to do that again, he'll be back.

The Outlook:

Something needs to be done here. The Chiefs, in my opinion, are a pretty one-dimensional offense. Well, they use the short pass game and screens as a running game replacement. But when push comes to shove, a true running game is different. Forcing opposing teams to REALLY respect the run, as they did with Hunt around, would add so much more to the Chiefs offense and the things Mahomes could do.

For next season I'd expect the current crew (sans McCoy) to be back in training camp. And I think they'll give Ware another shot. After that - fresh blood is needed. So bring in a whole bunch of guys and let's find the next human joystick. During the draft I firmly believe the Chiefs will draft someone anywhere between the 3rd and 5th round. Who'll make it in the end: We will see. My prediction: at max one of the Williamses.

Edited by KC_Guy
  • Like 1

Thompson isn't small; he's short. It'like saying Barry Sanders or Emmitt smith were small. 

Ware has value on a minimum contract because he's an excellent blocker. Sherman is now 32, so it's time to consider a replacement. At the least, Ware is someone that we could try out in camp for FB. 

It's a great RB draft. We could do very well with one in round #3.

J

19 hours ago, samsel23 said:

John Lovett might factor in here.. if his shoulder issues are fixed I think his best spot is Sherman’s replacement

Actually haven't thought about him in that role  .. was going to discuss him in the TE section. But a good catch here!

Our offense was most effective with Kareem Hunt as true #1 RB that makes defenses have to keep an extra guy in the box.  We need another true #1 RB in the Kareem Hunt or Marshall Faulk mold that can keep defenses honest. 

I see drafting a RB in either the 1st or 2nd round as a priority in this draft.  No reason to sign a good free agent RB as the money is not worth the return.  Usually the best running backs are playing in their first contract.  

Any chance we can bring Kareem Hunt back?  Is he a restricted or unrestricted free agent for the Browns?  That guy wants so bad to be back on the Chiefs. 

6 hours ago, warsawian said:

Any chance we can bring Kareem Hunt back?  Is he a restricted or unrestricted free agent for the Browns?  That guy wants so bad to be back on the Chiefs. 

I really feel we would've been in the Bowl last year if that whole situation wouldn't have happened. His latest situation makes you realize how messed up he feels about the opportunity he squandered.

I wouldn't be opposed to bring him back, we already have that "tHe ChIeFs hAVe aLl dA fELoNs" stigma anyway.

8 hours ago, warsawian said:

Our offense was most effective with Kareem Hunt as true #1 RB that makes defenses have to keep an extra guy in the box.  We need another true #1 RB in the Kareem Hunt or Marshall Faulk mold that can keep defenses honest. 

I see drafting a RB in either the 1st or 2nd round as a priority in this draft.  No reason to sign a good free agent RB as the money is not worth the return.  Usually the best running backs are playing in their first contract.  

I'd love to bring Hunt back but after he lied to the organization I don't see it happening.

15 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I really feel we would've been in the Bowl last year if that whole situation wouldn't have happened. His latest situation makes you realize how messed up he feels about the opportunity he squandered.

I wouldn't be opposed to bring him back, we already have that "tHe ChIeFs hAVe aLl dA fELoNs" stigma anyway.

You mean him smoking pot and getting caught is an indication he feels messed up about the other issue and being suspended for half a season? Well, that's a stretch.

7 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

You mean him smoking pot and getting caught is an indication he feels messed up about the other issue and being suspended for half a season? Well, that's a stretch.

It's what he said, maybe an excuse maybe not, but dude sounds busted up in the video but you would know apparently:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/2020/01/27/kareem-hunt-speeding-arrest-marijuana-body-dash-cam-video/

Snap counts from the Super Bowl (it still feels strange to key that) had Sherman in only 7 plays, which is less than Thompson's 11. He's 31 and a free agent, which begs the question of whether he will be back and under what conditions. He still plays ST a lot. 

Speaking of ST, check out Sorensen--100% of the defensive snaps plus 79% of ST snaps. Wow.

snap-counts-super-bowl-54.png?w=380&h=90