Eli Manning is retiring

August4th

11 hours ago, Hukos said:

You absolutely can tell the story of the NFL without Barry Sanders - even with him the Lions weren't doing much. Now, Barry deserves to be in the hall of fame because he was elite and the best RB in football (or close enough, depending on how you feel about Emmitt Smith). The narrative surrounding Barry was irrelevant, he was great and we should celebrate that greatness with his HoF bust. To me, that's what the HoF should be about. This is also why TO being denied the Hall first-ballot because he hurt some HoF voters feelings was a sack of crap.

"Telling the story of the NFL" is what NFL films was made to do, not the Hall of Fame.

And Jerry Rice? You cannot tell the story of the NFL without mentioning players other than QBs. At least not tell the story of the NFL well. To suggest otherwise is asinine.

Just now, struby3 said:

And Jerry Rice? You cannot tell the story of the NFL without mentioning players other than QBs. At least not tell the story of the NFL well. To suggest otherwise is asinine.

When people use the term "the story of the NFL", they're specifically referring to QB vs. QB narratives, but using code/dogwhistles to do so (possibly without realizing it).

Just now, SweetFancyMoses said:

2 Super Bowl Rings as a QB guarantees you HOF.    If Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer had 2 rings they'd be in too.     Eli for the vast majority of his career was not a great qb,  but he had 2 great playoff runs with memorable moments and against 2 great Pats teams in the Superbowl.  

You think Jim Plunkett should be in the Hall of Fame?

Put him next to Romo in the booth. You want. I want it. God wants it.

I'll never forget the winning TD to Burress and him breaking the sack to throw to Tyree. My dad said if the Giants win I could chug his beer since we are in NY and he's a Giants Fan. I jumped up and scream F***ing  YES!!! Took a gulp of his beer and spat it in the sink because Molson is disgusting.

Edited by BullsandBroncos
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Hukos said:

When people use the term "the story of the NFL", they're specifically referring to QB vs. QB narratives, but using code/dogwhistles to do so (possibly without realizing it).

I don't know how you came to this conclusion. Very strange assumption. It's like saying "when people use the term 'the story of America,' they're specifically referring to presidential candidate vs. presidential candidate narratives, but using code/dogwhistles to do so." I've read plenty of football history books and I can't remember many focusing on QB vs QB narratives.

17 hours ago, Elky said:

You think Jim Plunkett should be in the Hall of Fame?

The Plunkett/Eli debate has been done over and over and round and round. While I get the OP's wording specifically stated "2 Super Bowl Rings as a QB guarantees you HOF" it's more specifically the 2 SB MVP's that solidifies it for Eli. Not to mention Plunketts career stats. You're talking about a guy who finished with 30 something more INT's then TD's. Also interesting both times Plunkett has been brought up on this thread has been by Pats fans xD. Still salty?

• Like 1

On 23/01/2020 at 8:20 PM, minutemancl said:

So, which Manning face is going to be used for his Canton bust?

It's going to be reversible. Like Quirrell/Voldemort in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

The front will be a likeness of Eli looking like Billy Bob Thornton from Sling Blade. It will have a little pump running a line of drool out of its mouth. It will face outwards for the first 45 minutes of every hour.

The back will the have face of a true Olympian hero, modelled on the divine proportions of Da Vinci's Vitruvian man. it will face outwards for the last 15 minutes of every hour, or whenever Tom Brady is in the building.

• Like 1