Raiders Officially known as the "Las Vegas Raiders"

Humble_Beast

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

I do agree with that, although St. Louis has already done their part in losing 2 teams, I don't know if they deserve a 3rd shot.  I'd almost think moving them to Salt Lake City would be a better option.  

Salt Lake? Why? Could they support an NFL team? Regardless another team in that region would not happen with Denver I'd think.

Portland?

6 hours ago, Joe said:

Still don't like this at all. I can't help but see bad things happening to the players and their families given Vegas's culture.

This thought process baffles me... People are aware there is more in Vegas than the strip right? 

Every major city has areas of town filled with bars and strip clubs to get in trouble in. Vegas is a grand stage, but if a player is going to get in trouble he can do it anywhere.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This thought process baffles me... People are aware there is more in Vegas than the strip right? 

Every major city has areas of town filled with bars and strip clubs to get in trouble in. Vegas is a grand stage, but if a player is going to get in trouble he can do it anywhere.

Antonio Brown agrees.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

It's not official until their crummy NFL.com website is updated. It still says Oakland Raiders, so that's what I'm going to call them! And the 2019 season isn't even over yet!

It's technically not official until the 2020 NFL season begins based on the NFL's calendar. Any and all mentions of it are strictly for promotion for the draft. 

🤓
5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I guess we'll truly see how much self-restraint Burfict and Incognito have, won't we?

I feel like the whole "sin city" thing is going to affect visiting teams more than the home squad anyway.  Everybody who lives in Vegas for any amount of time pretty quickly realizes that it's pretty much a normal city except for about eight blocks on one street.  You go there, you see and do the things, and then you don't really need to go back all that often.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Salt Lake? Why? Could they support an NFL team? Regardless another team in that region would not happen with Denver I'd think.

Portland?

They've had significant support in smaller leagues...and like Vegas, they currently only have 1 pro team (unless you truly count MLS) and theoretically could support 2.    And Salt Lake City is similar in market size to San Diego and Nashville and would still be larger than KC, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Las Vegas, Jacksonville, Buffalo and New Orleans.  As you mentioned, another option would be Portland and I would also add San Antonio, but both of those are far too close to Seattle (175 miles) and Houston (200 miles), while Salt Lake City is 400 miles from Las Vegas and over 500 from Denver.  It's an area ripe for a NFL team.  

Edited by swede700

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

They've had significant support in smaller leagues...and like Vegas, they currently only have 1 pro team (unless you truly count MLS) and theoretically could support 2.    And Salt Lake City is similar in market size to San Diego and Nashville and would still be larger than KC, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Las Vegas, Jacksonville, Buffalo and New Orleans.  As you mentioned, another option would be Portland and I would also add San Antonio, but both of those are far too close to Seattle (175 miles) and Houston (200 miles), while Salt Lake City is 400 miles from Las Vegas and over 500 from Denver.  It's an area ripe for a NFL team.  

You have to look at both metro(market) size not city size, and then you have to factor in the economy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._metropolitan_areas_by_GDP

Titans, KC, and Green Bay also draw not just from their surrounding areas but entire states all of which have larger populations and economic/corporate support than a team in SLC would.

Edited by DigInBoys

14 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

You have to look at both metro(market) size not city size, and then you have to factor in the economy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._metropolitan_areas_by_GDP

Titans, KC, and Green Bay also draw not just from their surrounding areas but entire states all of which have larger populations and economic/corporate support than a team in SLC would.

I looked at media market size, not just metro area size and the media market size of SLC is very comparable to San Diego and Nashville....and that's what the NFL cares about more than just metro area size.  The NFL doesn't care about how many people who live in the vicinity, they care about how many people will watch.  And the Salt Lake City TV market covers all of Utah and parts of Idaho, Wyoming and Nevada, which makes it the 30th largest media market in the country, just behind Nashville and San Diego, and just ahead of San Antonio and Kansas City.  But, even if you factor in the MSA, it should be noted that Salt Lake City is growing just about as fast as Las Vegas is.  

Edited by swede700

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I looked at media market size, not just metro area size and the media market size of SLC is very comparable to San Diego and Nashville....and that's what the NFL cares about more than just metro area size.  The NFL doesn't care about how many people who live in the vicinity, they care about how many people will watch.  And the Salt Lake City TV market covers all of Utah and parts of Idaho, Wyoming and Nevada, which makes it the 30th largest media market in the country, just behind Nashville and San Diego, and just ahead of San Antonio and Kansas City.  But, even if you factor in the MSA, it should be noted that Salt Lake City is growing just about as fast as Las Vegas is.  

Even if you're talking strictly in terms of eyeballs, places like Idaho and Wyoming, and remote parts of Nevada aren't going to contribute the economic dollars the NFL will want.

Just now, DigInBoys said:

Even if you're talking strictly in terms of eyeballs, places like Idaho and Wyoming, and remote parts of Nevada aren't going to contribute the economic dollars the NFL will want.

That's certainly fair, but they don't contribute a whole lot here where I'm located (in the KC area) from the rural parts of Kansas or Missouri either.  :D

I'd personally like the NFL though to at least hold some regular season games (especially with the coming 17th game that will happen in the new CBA) in cities like SLC, Portland and San Antonio as sort of a trial to see the interest.  They probably won't do that though, because that would make too much sense especially for the Broncos/Raiders, Seahawks and Texans to try to "claim" those territories as their own.  

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

That's certainly fair, but they don't contribute a whole lot here where I'm located (in the KC area) from the rural parts of Kansas or Missouri either.  :D

I'd personally like the NFL though to at least hold some regular season games (especially with the coming 17th game that will happen in the new CBA) in cities like SLC, Portland and San Antonio as sort of a trial to see the interest.  They probably won't do that though, because that would make too much sense especially for the Broncos/Raiders, Seahawks and Texans to try to "claim" those territories as their own.  

Kansas and Missouri combined(along with whatever other areas the Chiefs draw from) have both a larger population and economic base than whatever a Utah team would draw from, and now the Chiefs have another major metro in St. Louis where they retain dominance.

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

The issue is. Those people in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and even Utah are nearly all Bronco fans. So the Broncos brass are not going to want to loose that market share. Same reason San Antonio will never work. There is an established brand in those areas.. the Broncos.

The Raiders in Vegas hits a new demographic in Nevada and taps back into large So Cal market that's dominated by Raiders fans as well as the Bay Area and surrounding. 

On 1/23/2020 at 5:09 PM, big_palooka said:

Portland?

denver is 8 hours away from salt lake. theres probably like 6 teams within 8 hours of all east coast teams.

On 1/24/2020 at 4:46 PM, big_palooka said:

The issue is. Those people in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and even Utah are nearly all Bronco fans. So the Broncos brass are not going to want to loose that market share. Same reason San Antonio will never work. There is an established brand in those areas.. the Broncos.

The Raiders in Vegas hits a new demographic in Nevada and taps back into large So Cal market that's dominated by Raiders fans as well as the Bay Area and surrounding. 

In 1960, nearly all Minnesotans were Packers fans.  That's not really that relevant of a point.  Hell, there's quite a contingent of southern Kansans that are Cowboys fans and not Chiefs fans, that doesn't mean should they all of a sudden put a team in OKC that they will remain Cowboys fans.