I seriously think AB might have brain damage from the NFL

mdonnelly21

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Quite frankly, AB has the most text book case of narcissistic personality disorder that I’ve ever seen in popular media. It’s so pin point accurate that if clinical psychology text books should be re-written to include the example. 

Even brain injury experts are struggling to understand CTE. It’s not a waste basket diagnosis for every athlete that has psychological disease, especially when there is an excellent alternate diagnosis that is so spot on  

I'm no doctor, but I'm going to roll with this over anything else. On the surface, it's easy to say CTE. Peel the layers back (from his college career to now) and you'll see that this isn't some fall from grace - it's the culmination of a guy who truly believed himself to be greater than every other man, woman and child to ever exist on this planet. 

Since this is a football website...HERE’S THE TIE IN.

My man. :D

How long will this injury keep Brown away from the game? If this is bipolar (probably not...) it’s the most optimistic prognosis...he can be treated and be a high functioning individual.

I would look at the early career of Brandon Marshall as a barometer. Marshall was diagnosed as bipolar, had some higher level meltdowns in Denver - but then got professional help and carved out a respectable career. Teams still work him out once in a while. 

AB is older than Marshall when Marshall got help, but AB is also more talented than B-Marsh was - so IF AB got a similar diagnosis and treatment, he COULD be back by 2021 (because there is no guarantees when working on issues such as this). Probably wouldn't be able to play at the level we remember him playing at, simply because of his age - but he could play.

If this is CTE...he’d be managed with rehab psych, which could have some effectiveness. But of course, if he gets that diagnosis (which is rarely given to living people), there’s a huge ethical dilemma of sending him back on the football field. If he has NPD, it’s going to be a challenge. Personally, I’d take 100 brain injury patients over 1 NPD patient. 

As you said - a living diagnosis of CTE is incredibly rare. Highly trained neurosurgeons can't do it with accuracy, so I don't know why Joe Internet with a blog thinks he can... but that's another story.

If he is diagnosed with CTE, he's done. The NFL goes to the NFLPA, tells them that Antonio Brown is involuntarily retired. The NFL provides AB with cutting edge therapy and rehab, and uses him as the spokesperson for life AFTER a CTE diagnosis - proof that it can be detected and managed.

The NFL earns brownie points with the medical community and the general population, AB gets the help he needs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

His frontal lobe and parietal lobe are no longer communicating.

Here is what I said in NFL News:

Study Phineas Gage. He had a dramatic brain injury but was walking after 5 minutes and speaking sentences after being unconscious for 3-4 minutes. However, he was never the same man. Eventually after hundreds of years of studies and advanced technology they figured out his frontal lobe and parietal lobe stopped communicating. What this means is, you can’t regulate emotion. If you feel emotion, you must act on it immediately and cannot think. You basically have the maturity of a ten year old, if that.

Antonio Brown died when Vontaze Burfict hit him. It's a sad reality.

@FinneasGage they talking bout you 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, ET80 said:

As you said - a living diagnosis of CTE is incredibly rare. Highly trained neurosurgeons can't do it with accuracy, so I don't know why Joe Internet with a blog thinks he can... but that's another story.

If he is diagnosed with CTE, he's done. The NFL goes to the NFLPA, tells them that Antonio Brown is involuntarily retired. The NFL provides AB with cutting edge therapy and rehab, and uses him as the spokesperson for life AFTER a CTE diagnosis - proof that it can be detected and managed.

Several teams at UCLA have been making some progress on that front, both via innovative tracers in PET scans and now via MRI's that are read with specialized software.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/mri-scan-may-help-diagnose-chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy-ucla-researchers-report

"While the findings from this single case report are preliminary, they raise the possibility that MRI scans could be used to diagnose CTE and related conditions in living people. At present, CTE can be diagnosed only by direct examination of the brain during an autopsy.

“Having an MRI-based technique for detecting this pattern of brain changes would help us a lot in assessing the brain health of athletes and others with histories of concussions,” said Dr. David Merrill, assistant clinical professor of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA."

As far as the rehabilitated spokesman role, its a good idea but I'm not seeing it with Mr Brown. Maybe Mr Pink, but definitely not Mr. Brown
Antonio doesn't want to be anybodies pet, he's always been his own man and he would chafe under the yoke of the NFL using him to further their cause.

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

As far as the rehabilitated spokesman role, its a good idea but I'm not seeing it with Mr Brown. Maybe Mr Pink, but definitely not Mr. Brown
Antonio doesn't want to be anybodies pet, he's always been his own man and he would chafe under the yoke of the NFL using him to further their cause.

Undiagnosed, untreated, unpaid Mr. Brown? Sure. Diagnosed, treated and very well compensated Mr. Brown? Well, that's a different person.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Several teams at UCLA have been making some progress on that front, both via innovative tracers in PET scans and now via MRI's that are read with specialized software.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/mri-scan-may-help-diagnose-chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy-ucla-researchers-report

"While the findings from this single case report are preliminary, they raise the possibility that MRI scans could be used to diagnose CTE and related conditions in living people. At present, CTE can be diagnosed only by direct examination of the brain during an autopsy.

“Having an MRI-based technique for detecting this pattern of brain changes would help us a lot in assessing the brain health of athletes and others with histories of concussions,” said Dr. David Merrill, assistant clinical professor of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA."

This sounds incredibly promising. I hope the league throws resources towards this effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Brain damage would be a minor issue for Antonio Brown.  The guy was a knucklehead before he ever got into the league.

My one takeaway from all of this? Mike Tomlin is MUCH better at coaching and leading than I give him credit for. 

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

My one takeaway from all of this? Mike Tomlin is MUCH better at coaching and leading than I give him credit for. 

Exactly!  I gained a ton of extra respect for Tomlin after hearing about all the babysitting he must have had to do with some of those guys in Pittsburgh.  I wish we had never let him get out of Minnesota, but at that time, who knew?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think there are stories in every locker room.  Most are not tweeted/shared.  AB is a special kind of narcissist.

8 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think there are stories in every locker room.  Most are not tweeted/shared.  AB is a special kind of narcissist.

I completely agree that every locker room has SOME sort of drama.

But... Tomlin kept that powder keg from popping, AND got divisive characters such as AB, Le'Veon Bell, Santonio Holmes, one of the Pouncy brothers, James Harrison and Ben Roethlensberger to perform at a SB level on a near yearly basis.

Herding cats might literally be easier.

• Like 2