Vikings promote Gary Kubiak to OC

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

Wonder how Minnesota fans feel about this?
Seems like a mediocre move. Hope the play calling improves. Tired of watching Minnesota underachieving with soo much talent on offense 

The play calling was all Kevin Stefanski last year. Kubiak did more of the behind the scenes type stuff, certainly and extra voice within the offense as it was his scheme that was being implemented by Stefanski. Ultimately, the Vikes OL needs to improve.

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wanted his kid as the OC, but I understand it and actually like it!

Ok I’m glad there is optimism then because it was painful watching Kevin call the plays for you guys. With all that talent you would think he would scheme better plays for your WRs. Glad you guys are happy hope to see you guys turn back into a juggernaut on offense again 

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

The play calling was all Kevin Stefanski last year. Kubiak did more of the behind the scenes type stuff, certainly and extra voice within the offense as it was his scheme that was being implemented by Stefanski. Ultimately, the Vikes OL needs to improve.

Ok that’s good it was awfully painful watching Kevin call the plays and resulting in stagnation on offense. I love the talent you guys have on offense and hope to see it utilized better this year. Now you guys can upgrade that OL this offseason. Hope you guys get it all clicking. 

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wanted his kid as the OC, but I understand it and actually like it!

It might actually be this move practically speaking, as Klint Kubiak is likely to stay as QBC and Rick Dennison as OL coach.   They are a package combo.

Norv and Scott Turner did the same in CAR where it seemed like Scott took on more responsibility as time went on.  Why he got hired by Ron Rivera in WAS.   This could be a transition year.  

The one negative I see to the hire is keeping Dennison.   I’ve mentioned it before but he’s done nothing since the rules changed to show he’s adapted.   I know Min OL underperformance has been a chronic issue but in 2018 it was injuries, the loss of Tony Sparano and rookies learning with a void in coaching.   Last year the guys were healthy but showed very little progress.  That’s on Dennison.   This was exactly what we saw in Den from 2015-16 as OC and Buf in 2017 as OC - while he held the OC title the OL was always his area of interest with Kubiak as play caller (and horribly overmatched as OC in DEN when Kubiak was sick and in BUF).  

I expect Klint takes over in 2021 and this is a transition year.   For Min fans sake I hope if Klint takes over they upgrade on Dennison.  OL and CB are the 2 key areas to upgrade play-wise to get MIN into the next tier.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

Ok I’m glad there is optimism then because it was painful watching Kevin call the plays for you guys. With all that talent you would think he would scheme better plays for your WRs. Glad you guys are happy hope to see you guys turn back into a juggernaut on offense again 

You can't scheme better plays for mediocre offensive linemen.  I expect the o-line to be better, but it's not their strong suit.  

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I expect Klint takes over in 2021 and this is a transition year.   For Min fans sake I hope if Klint takes over they upgrade on Dennison.  OL and CB are the 2 key areas to upgrade play-wise to get MIN into the next tier.  

The o-line under Dennison has been the best we've seen in 10 years.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It might actually be this move practically speaking, as Klint Kubiak is likely to stay as QBC and Rick Dennison as OL coach.   They are a package combo.

Norv and Scott Turner did the same in CAR where it seemed like Scott took on more responsibility as time went on.  Why he got hired by Ron Rivera in WAS.   This could be a transition year.  

The one negative I see to the hire is keeping Dennison.   I’ve mentioned it before but he’s done nothing since the rules changed to show he’s adapted.   I know Min OL underperformance has been a chronic issue but in 2018 it was injuries, the loss of Tony Sparano and rookies learning with a void in coaching.   Last year the guys were healthy but showed very little progress.  That’s on Dennison.   This was exactly what we saw in Den from 2015-16 and 2017 as OC - while he held the OC title the OL was always his area of interest with Kubiak as play caller (and horribly overmatched as OC in DEN when Kubiak was sick and in BUF).  

It wouldn't surprise me to see Dennison gone - either this offseason or the next.  My guess is that we will have most of the same issues on the O-line next season, and if that doesn't change, Spielman and Zimmer will both start feeling a lot of heat.  They will need someone for a sacrificial lamb and Dennison would be the obvious choice. 

I'll disagree with @Broncofan because I actually saw progress from the offensive linemen as the year went along.  They still couldn't block well against a physical line, ala the 49ers or Bears, but they certainly made significant progress.  Blocking well against a physical line will take a full offseason at the very least.  

• Like 1