Vikings promote Gary Kubiak to OC

RaidersAreOne

I was quietly hoping Kubiak would come to Houston and serve the Texans much like how Tom Coughlin served Jacksonville. Kubiak finds an HC/GM combo to report to him, Klint could come in as OC, Dennison as OL Coach...one day, Klint could get the move to HC with the right experience working with Deshaun Watson.

All of this is contingent on BoB getting fired - which wouldn't happen.

2 hours ago, Gannon12 said:

Wonder how Minnesota fans feel about this?
Seems like a mediocre move. Hope the play calling improves. Tired of watching Minnesota underachieving with soo much talent on offense 

They have talent at the skill positions. Ultimately that dosen't help that much when the Oline is poor.

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It might actually be this move practically speaking, as Klint Kubiak is likely to stay as QBC and Rick Dennison as OL coach.   They are a package combo.

Norv and Scott Turner did the same in CAR where it seemed like Scott took on more responsibility as time went on.  Why he got hired by Ron Rivera in WAS.   This could be a transition year.  

The one negative I see to the hire is keeping Dennison.   I’ve mentioned it before but he’s done nothing since the rules changed to show he’s adapted.   I know Min OL underperformance has been a chronic issue but in 2018 it was injuries, the loss of Tony Sparano and rookies learning with a void in coaching.   Last year the guys were healthy but showed very little progress.  That’s on Dennison.   This was exactly what we saw in Den from 2015-16 and 2017 as OC - while he held the OC title the OL was always his area of interest with Kubiak as play caller (and horribly overmatched as OC in DEN when Kubiak was sick and in BUF).  

I expect Klint takes over in 2021 and this is a transition year.   For Min fans sake I hope if Klint takes over they upgrade on Dennison.  OL and CB are the 2 key areas to upgrade play-wise to get MIN into the next tier.  

Well...at least Brian O'Neill is awesome!!

4 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Dude would have made a great HC shame he had to fake his retirement to leave Houston. 

What he did with Schaub and those RBs were super impressive. 

Dude had a stroke on the field. Nobody was faking anything back then.

His offenses were great, but he was too determined to keep DC duties with his buddies - it wasn't until Wade Phillips was forced on him that he was able to get anything going.

Kubiak is good, but he had some major flaws as a HC.

17 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Dude had a stroke on the field. Nobody was faking anything back then.

His offenses were great, but he was too determined to keep DC duties with his buddies - it wasn't until Wade Phillips was forced on him that he was able to get anything going.

Kubiak is good, but he had some major flaws as a HC.

3 flaws to be aware of that do affect his ability as an OC (although MIN's roster has eliminated #3, at least for 2020):

1.   Really thought you could plug any mobile, above-average athletic OL 5-across and succeed.    That and #2 were problematic for our OL in 2016-7 (Joseph took on the OL Kubiak left behind) - we just stop-gapped the OL with vets in 2015 to get through (and PHI did us a huge solid in letting us milk 1 final year from Evan Mathis, and Louie Vazquez went out like a champ).   This was a big part of Kubiak's downfall in HOU, along with...

2.  An unending loyalty to past players & coaches - part of what I was referring to with Dennison.   The HOU-to-DEN pipeline of players was crazy - it did lead to the occasional gem, but for each hit, there were at least 4-5 bust plays where it was clear the guy was done.     The loyalty to Dennison, when his success as OL coach really dates back to when the ZBS, hyper-mobile OL's were the MO to success, in particular is striking.   And for those that disagree on the MIN 2019 performance - sure, no one has to agree - but Dennison's underperformance with OL's dates back a long ways back, it's not just 2019 & MIN that's being referenced.  It's mind-blowing that this combo is still alive.

3.  A total belief that the scrappy, cerebral QB could overcome physical limits - I mean, it defined his playing career.   But it's created a blind spot in the type of QB he thinks can succeed in the NFL.   His absolute belief that he could shape Case Keenum when he was the 2018 "advisor" to Elway is why Keenum came to DEN.  That and his loyalty to Osweiler & even Siemian, it's such an obvious Achilles.   Fortunately, with Cousins on the team, at least you don't have to worry about this - but keep this in mind if Cousins leaves MIN....

Now, if this is a transition year, and Klint is taking over as the real brains, then you don't necessarily have to worry about this, as the pupil often just takes the best of the teacher's traits, but isn't as likely to simply recreate the flaws.  And let's be clear - Kubiak (and son) brings experience, really good game preparation, and a willingness to take shots in-game and adapt in-game (his changing from Peyton to Oz, then back to Peyton, and his game-calling vs. NE with Oz <all in the reg. season>, and then play-calling in the playoffs with a Peyton-corpse at QB, saved our season run for the title - without a 1 seed and HFA, we don't get to SB50, let alone win it).   So it's not like it's a bad hire, far from it.   But there are pros & cons with Kubiak, the flaws are at least well-known.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4

Given that Zimmer is the HC, I’m less concerned with loyalty to certain coaches as those type of decisions ultimately fall on Zimmer and the defensive staff is “his guys”. I get that Dennison is a packaged deal with Kubiak and that is bothersome, I think there is optimism having some consistency in that spot helps. Hopefully that leads to Bradbury improving. The Vikes are set at one tackle spot with O’Neill and Josh Kline is okay at one guard spot. MN really needs to find two OL to replace Reiff and Elflein.

Well, I will agree with you on Keenum.  I thought it was a terrible move for Keenum to go to Denver.  He already doesn't have the strongest arm in the world and then to go to that environment of Denver.  It was a match destined to fail from the outset.  You may as well send me out there, since the ball floats when I throw too.