Pettine's Back Mock

Joe

Unsurprisingly and sadly, Mike Pettine is back as our DC. Ergo it may be easier to actually predict who we draft on defense at least.

I'm going to try and do a FA portion of this without getting my head ripped off so I'll throw out names and y'all can discuss numbers for them in a circular firing squad fashion because frankly I care more about the draft. Maybe it's because I'm accustomed to little to no activity in FA, who knows...

FA Signings:

Blake Martinez: He's coming back simply because he knows Pettine's defense and he's been criticized for the lack of talent next to him more than anything. I think he wants to be a Packer based on that emotional interview he had after the game Sunday.

Bryan Bulaga: He actually stayed relatively healthy this year and played well so he'll be back.

Jared Veldheer: Alex Light wasn't ready for primetime this year. Veldheer played quite well down the stretch. No reason not to bring him back on the cheap.

Tyler Ervin: I was wrong about him. He's definitely our RS moving forward and provides a helpful wrinkle to the offense. No reason not to bring him back on the cheap either.

Mason Crosby: He's probably going to retire as a Packer unless he has a horrific year.

Michael Brockers: He's kinda old, but can be a special plug-n-play until we figure out who we stick next to Kenny. 

Austin Hooper: He's been quietly reliable for Matt Ryan and may be inexpensive. We've all acknowledged that the TE class is weak sauce and Lewis is no spring chicken. I hope Lewis is back, but for the sake of the hypothetical, I'm playing this one as if he's not. Hooper is a complete TE although not a spectacular talent.

ERFA Signings: Tonyan, Lancaster, Lazard, Sullivan, Redmond.

Cuts:

Graham and Taylor(though I think we could trade Taylor with picks or some other time during camp).

Onto the draft:

Rumor has it that both Chicago and Indianapolis want to trade up to get Jake Fromm. Indy has more draft capital than Chicago having two second round choices. We trade pick 30 away for picks 2.34, 5.142, and swapping 4th round picks.

2.34:  James Lynch, DL/EDGE, Baylor:

Image result for james lynch baylor

This may be a reach at the moment, but probably won't be come draft day. Lynch is an explosive player despite his size who can kick out as a pass rusher on the EDGE or move to the inside using his strength and quickness to collapse the pocket or shoot gaps into the backfield. I want to go Jalen Reagor here, but he's got a bad history of the dropsies. Alternative picks: Trey Adams, OT, Washington; Kenneth Murray, ILB, Oklahoma

2.62: Davon Hamilton, DL, Ohio State:

Image result for davon hamilton

Hamilton benefited from other DL going down with injuries earlier in the year and proceeded to wreak havoc on opposing OL. He's got both the size and the physicality to step in and produce immediately. Alternative picks: KJ Hamler, WR, Penn St.; Zach Baun, LB, Wisconsin

3.94: John Hightower, WR, Boise St.:

Image result for john hightower boise state

Hightower is a bit undersized, but his footwork is impeccable. Very comparable to DeAndre Hopkins in that he's not a burner, but he'll make guys miss and win with quick acceleration and precise footwork off the LOS.

4: Evan Weaver, ILB, Cal:

Image result for Evan Weaver boise state

Weaver's a bit of a thumper with range and a run stuffer that can negotiate through the traffic in front of him. In the event we do NOT sign Martinez, this guy's a plug-n-play.

**Trade** The Packers send their second 5th round pick to Houston swapping our first of two 6th's with their 6th with two 7ths to move back up into the 4th

4: Jacob Phillips, ILB, LSU:

Image result for Jacob Phillips

Phillips has excellent straight-line speed and tackling abilities which will help on ST's, but will need to develop more instinct and technique at the next level. Could be a starter in year 2. Will probably need to add 5-10 lbs. Phillips is a descending player given the development he needs at his natural position, but he's well worth the gamble.

5: KJ Hill, WR, Ohio St:

Image result for KJ Hill

Hill stepped up when called upon this past season using his speed and newfound physicality to elevate the OSU offense. Look for Hill and Hightower to compete for the slot receiver position in TC.

6a. Patrick Queen, ILB, LSU:

Image result for Patrick Queen

Queen blew up during the NCAA Playoff after being relatively unknown for much of the season. May be a late round steal if he continue his ascent.

6b. Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton: 

Image result for Adam Trautman

Late round small school prospect with a ton of production and size.

7. Nate Stanley, QB, Iowa:

Image result for nate stanley

Stanley is worth it as a developmental prospect. 

Notable UDFA: Nick Coe, EDGE, Auburn; Tommy Kraemer, OL, Notre Dame; Jon Runyan, OL, Michigan; Lynn Bowden, WR, Kentucky; Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois; Luke Farrell, TE, Ohio St.

Final 53:

QB: Rodgers, Stanley

RB: Jones, Williams, Ervin, Vitale

WR: Adams, Lazard, Hightower, Hill, MVS, ESB

TE: Hooper, Sternberger, Trautman, Tonyan

OT: Bakh, Bulaga, Veldheer, Spriggs(yeah, he comes back and turns off the Light)

OG: Jenkins, Turner, Patrick, Madison

C: Linsley

DL: Clark, Brockers, Hamilton, Keke, Lowry, Lancaster, Lynch(kicks back to EDGE occasionally)

EDGE: the Smiths, Gary 

LB: Martinez, Weaver, Phillips, Burks, Bolton, Summers

CB: Alexander, King,  Hollman, Jackson, Sullivan

S: Amos, Savage, Greene, Redmond

ST: Crosby, Scott, Bradley

Fire away!

Edited by Joe
  • Like 2

I really like your Free Agents.  Sadly unlikely though.  Drop Hooper and more likely.  Just trying to fit the money in.

I hate your first pick.  Yes, I'd love Murray instead.  He won't be there.

Queen will not be near there. Otherwise, give me a TE somewhere earlier or an affordable FA and I'm good.

KJ Hill has been dominating the senior bowl. He will be going in top 3 rounds for sure.

Yeah like the free agents and not a fan of the first pick. 

I think you went overboard with ILB too. We're not carrying 6 ILB especially since we're not in our 3-4 base often.

The above beat me to it.  I think better can be done is all the more I can say.  Not that I hate the player, I just think a bit of a reach all things considered.  Would do a back flip if Murray was there though, which could kill me.

Edited by 15412

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I don’t know why so many people are so quick to get into another bad TE contract after having three years straight of paying bad TE contracts.  

Let it die.  

Not saying I advocate for getting Hooper, but his situation is different from Bennett & Graham. he’s only going to be 26 next year, as opposed to  30 or 32. 

either TE or WR can help the team’s receiving talent. 

18 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Not saying I advocate for getting Hooper, but his situation is different from Bennett & Graham. he’s only going to be 26 next year, as opposed to  30 or 32. 

either TE or WR can help the team’s receiving talent. 

Yeah, but Hooper I don’t think is very good.  He’s on a team that’s built around offensive firepower.  Things change for him when he doesn’t have Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley to cover.  He won’t be worth the contract he signs, and age doesn’t have much to do with it.  He will be the premier TE free agent.

If you don’t believe me, Jimmy Graham had 1.3 yards more per reception this year.

Jimmy Graham’s longest reception was 11 yards longer than Hooper’s.

Granted Hooper had 37 more receptions, but Hooper is not some Kelce light.  He’s more like Richard Rodgers heavy.

I'm Ok with your FA signing of Bulaga through Crosby. I'm also OK with moving on from Graham and Taylor. 

But big IDL usually take time to develop. So, I would put more cap resources into FA IDL. There's some decent ones likely available, and I think we ought to sign two of them to put Lowery on the bench and Lancaster on the street. With two FA signings, Clark, Lowery, and Keke, that gives us 5. One mid round draft choice and we're set. 

ILB maybe another FA, if we have enough cap space left. Otherwise take a shot in the draft.

I suspect Gute didn't do much at receiver last year, because he knew this was going to be a WR heavy draft. I would take two in the first three rounds. I'm kind of developing a like for that Lavishka Shanault at #30. 

Round 4 we draft Linsley's replacement. 

So, #1 Lavishka, #2 WR or ILB depending on BVA, #3 WR or ILB depending on how round 2 went, #4 Center, #5 IDL, after that it's a crap shoot anyway,

Thanks for all the hard work!