My Fanspeak 4 round mock

LionArkie

3: LB ISAIAH SIMMONS CLEMSON

35: EDGE TERRELL LEWIS ALABAMA

67: RB JONATHAN TAYLOR WISCONSIN

106: WR GABRIEL DAVIS UCF

I was messing around while I should be working and this is how my draft went. Admittedly, I would prefer a trade down to 5 and pick up Simmons there.  I think he could be an amazing chess piece in this defense. I'm kind of coming around on him, but I just don't really want him at 3.  If we go the first 4 rounds without any DL, I'm going to be sick.  So, I went with the best rated player on the board and that was Lewis who is our future Edge rusher. Ideally, I would have preferred to go all defense but with Taylor there in the 3rd I couldn't pass him up.  I think Kerryon won't stay healthy and we need a good RB.  In free agency we would have to go RT, someone like Conklin to help sure that up and give Taylor some running room. I would have preferred DL or OL in the 4th, but there was no one sitting there. So I went with a WR for the future.
I think there is a lot wrong with this draft, lack of defense, RB might be a little high, but I think it's good value overall and is both bpa and fits team needs.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 2

While the Lions need to focus on adding pieces to the defense early, they absolutely need to add guys at RB and WR. I don't trust Kerryon's health and Scarborough is almost as much of a question mark. McKissic did exactly what he was asked to do and he should be penned in as one of the 3 or 4 guys they use. I do like our core of Golladay, Marvin, Amendola and Marvin H. They're going to have to replace Jones and Amendola sooner rather than later. This is a super deep WR draft and they can find someone after they've addressed more pressing needs earlier. 

Denzel Mims is on the Lions roster and seems to fit what the Lions like to do at the position. There's a couple other guys on their roster that should be mid-round picks and they would have gotten a close look at what they can do. Chase Claypool is a guy with really good size and is a very good special teams player. That is definitely something the Lions will factor in as part of the overall evaluation. 

I don't dislike your draft at all. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what you do with Simmons and what the Lions plan on doing with the defensive line. I haven't been able to watch a ton of tape on some of the guys so far this season. My concern with a guy like Simmons is how he will stand up against a power run team at his size and it's possible that he's answered that and I just haven't seen it. 

that was my concern as well.  I've read that he is a superb open field tackler and has fantastic instincts.  In a perfect world, which was not this draft, I would put some heavyweights in front of him to help against the power run game.  In the end, the amount of turnovers he can cause is starting to intrigue me. I think he might be the ultimate chess piece no matter the defense and would have carryover if Patricia and company were to be fired.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:15 AM, LionArkie said:

that was my concern as well.  I've read that he is a superb open field tackler and has fantastic instincts.  In a perfect world, which was not this draft, I would put some heavyweights in front of him to help against the power run game.  In the end, the amount of turnovers he can cause is starting to intrigue me. I think he might be the ultimate chess piece no matter the defense and would have carryover if Patricia and company were to be fired.

I would rather draft a guy like Kyle Dugger at this point in that hybrid role as opposed to Simmons. He has the size and athleticism to play that hybrid S/LB role. He offers special teams value as a returner. You're going to get him 2nd or 3rd round as opposed to top 5. 

• Like 1