QB Rankings

Jerry1738

On 1/25/2020 at 7:08 PM, Jerry1738 said:

Eason vs Love is really tough for me but I think Love has more potential 

I don't think any QB prospect this year has more potential than Eason, but the question is will Eason actually capitalize on his potential. He's a lot like Josh Allen, with a bit better accuracy, but it remains to be seen whether he can improve or if he'll be more like Mitch Trubisky from the mental side of playing QB.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:36 PM, BayRaider said:

Look at his 2018 tape. Did he struggle with those defenses then? Nope. He lost his entire coaching staff for 2019. Those new coaches had no idea what they were calling. A QB is only as good as his coach. Patrick Mahomes with a scrub NFL Offensive Coach would look miserable. Any QB would. 

He wasn't overly special in 2018.  His numbers were good, but he was also playing against inferior competition.  He played against Michigan State in 2018, and looked bad.  You even go back to his 2018 numbers, and a large chunk of his production came in 3 games (BYU, UNLV, and San Jose State).  Of his 32 TDs, 44% of his TD passes came in those 3 games.  He was good, but you were doing it largely on projection of what he'd do in 2019.  And his numbers in 2019 reflected his poor play.  You're essentially saying that you're hoping that 2019 was an anomaly and was largely on the supporting cast.  Mahomes improved from his sophomore year to junior year.

28 minutes ago, Danger said:

Interviews will be very important for Eason. Will teams feel that he has passion and work ethic? From a pure physical standpoint, he's the best in the draft this year, kinda the antithesis of Joe Burrow.

Why?  He's a mechanical mess when you watch Eason.  The interview part is crucial for any QB, but it's not going to take him doing well in interviews to suddenly believe in him.  Watch his lower body with regards to his mechanic.  It stops almost completely when he's not moving the pocket, which is causing inaccuracies.

Just now, CWood21 said:

He wasn't overly special in 2018.  His numbers were good, but he was also playing against inferior competition.  He played against Michigan State in 2018, and looked bad.  You even go back to his 2018 numbers, and a large chunk of his production came in 3 games (BYU, UNLV, and San Jose State).  Of his 32 TDs, 44% of his TD passes came in those 3 games.  He was good, but you were doing it largely on projection of what he'd do in 2019.  And his numbers in 2019 reflected his poor play.  You're essentially saying that you're hoping that 2019 was an anomaly and was largely on the supporting cast.  Mahomes improved from his sophomore year to junior year.

I’m not saying he’s not a project QB. He absolutely is. Every QB not named Burrow/Tua is a project and shouldn’t start their first year. Love needs a lot of coaching as he doesn’t understand defenses well enough yet. However, he is my QB3 in this draft. He has a laser arm, very good accuracy, great pocket presence, and good mobility. And no help what so ever. 

Compared to Herbert who is my QB6. Herbert also has a laser arm but doesn’t use it much, has horrendous accuracy that rarely gets solved at the next level, good mobility, horrendous pocket presence that is masked by the best offensive line college has ever seen, and I highly question Herberts passion for the game in his interviews. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Why?  He's a mechanical mess when you watch Eason.  The interview part is crucial for any QB, but it's not going to take him doing well in interviews to suddenly believe in him.  Watch his lower body with regards to his mechanic.  It stops almost completely when he's not moving the pocket, which is causing inaccuracies.

Because if a team feels like he has the drive to actually fix those issues, he has the highest potential out of any QB in this class IMO. Even if you disagree with that statement, he certainly has the potential to be a genuine franchise QB. The real question is will he commit himself fully and have the mental fortitude to actually patch up his mechanical flaws. If a coach gets the feeling he can be worked with then that's huge for Eason. However if they get Trubisky vibes, more teams will shy away.

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’m not saying he’s not a project QB. He absolutely is. Every QB not named Burrow/Tua is a project and shouldn’t start their first year. Love needs a lot of coaching as he doesn’t understand defenses well enough yet. However, he is my QB3 in this draft. He has a laser arm, very good accuracy, great pocket presence, and good mobility. And no help what so ever. 

Compared to Herbert who is my QB6. Herbert also has a laser arm but doesn’t use it much, has horrendous accuracy that rarely gets solved at the next level, good mobility, horrendous pocket presence that is masked by the best offensive line college has ever seen, and I highly question Herberts passion for the game in his interviews. 

Biggest issue I take with Herbert is he seems to be the definition of a single read QB. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Which is the root of this discussion.  Burrow is QB1 and Tua is QB2 by pretty much 98% of the rankings.  But QB3 through QBwhatever is up in the air.  There are some that prefer Justin Herbert, there are some that prefer Jacob Eason, etc.  What separates Jordan Love from the rest of the QBs?  If the argument being made is using qualifiers to help explain your case, it's probably not a sturdy case.  You're essentially drafting him based on his athleticism, and hope that your QB coach can mold those tools.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Because if a team feels like he has the drive to actually fix those issues, he has the highest potential out of any QB in this class IMO. Even if you disagree with that statement, he certainly has the potential to be a genuine franchise QB. The real question is will he commit himself fully and have the mental fortitude to actually patch up his mechanical flaws. If a coach gets the feeling he can be worked with then that's huge for Eason. However if they get Trubisky vibes, more teams will shy away.

What do you think Eason is going to come in and say?  That he thinks he's as good as is?  The interview process is designed to get an idea of how a person ticks, not what they actually say.  You want to know what makes him tick.  The problem with Trubisky was that he was a one-hit wonder who came out of an offense at UNC that was a very simple offense.  He wasn't asked to make a bunch of reads, and he wasn't asked to operate in a pro-style offense.  It had nothing to do with his interview.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Which is the root of this discussion.  Burrow is QB1 and Tua is QB2 by pretty much 98% of the rankings.  But QB3 through QBwhatever is up in the air.  There are some that prefer Justin Herbert, there are some that prefer Jacob Eason, etc.  What separates Jordan Love from the rest of the QBs?  If the argument being made is using qualifiers to help explain your case, it's probably not a sturdy case.  You're essentially drafting him based on his athleticism, and hope that your QB coach can mold those tools.

I do agree QB3 all the way to QB6 is wide open. Never once disputed that and always stated it as opinion. It was a couple others that basically acted like Love at QB3 is asinine and kinda jumped on me. When DJ and several analysts came out with Love at QB3. I’ve been high in him since early last month as my QB3, he just oozes potential and I don’t see any accuracy issues. All understanding defense issues. 

Just now, Danger said:

If Herbert is QB6, who else do you have above him besides Burrow, Tua, Eason, and Love?

Fromm is my QB5 at the moment. People sleep on him. In a system like the Patriots, Saints, or a traditional west coast offense, Fromm can have an amazing career. Those systems all require accuracy and timing/rhythm passes. Something Fromm excels at. I’m not disputing Fromm is more of a upper echelon game manager, but he brings real value to those teams. And I’m really sour on Herbert.