QB Rankings

Jerry1738

1 hour ago, Groink said:

Lol at blaming his "supporting cast" this year for his turnovers.  Every single pick except the last one was his fault in that 2019 interception video...

No one said he's not a project QB. He certainly needs year on the bench just like anyone not named Burrow/Tua. But his INTs are because of not reading the defense correctly which is absolute coachable in the NFL and he obviously has tons of studying to do. His accuracy is fine, he doesn't struggle with accuracy like Josh Allen did and Justin Herbert does.

Another reason to be sour on Herbert besides his horrendous accuracy and mechanics is he had arguably the greatest offensive line in CFB History. I’ve seen this comment made several times. It’s the best PFF has graded by a mile since 2013. 

We’ve seen dominant lines make below average QBs look like Top 5 QBs several times. Carr in 2016 and Dalton in 2015 come to mind. Both were Top 5 QBs that year and Top 3 MVP candidates. 

2 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Again, if you have huge problems reading MWC defenses, you're going to be a major, major project in the NFL. That isn't worth a first round selection. At all. Late day 2 is where he should be

That’s fine, as long as you make the same assumption about Herbert. There is no way what so ever, at all, that they aren’t comparable m. And I prefer Love. 

I honestly don't know much about Cole McDonald but seeing him 10 on your list makes me want to go take a close look at him. Having Justin Herbert at 5 is laughable IMO as he might not be the most NFL ready QB in this class he clearly has the highest ceiling. 

44 minutes ago, vikes635 said:

I honestly don't know much about Cole McDonald but seeing him 10 on your list makes me want to go take a close look at him. Having Justin Herbert at 5 is laughable IMO as he might not be the most NFL ready QB in this class he clearly has the highest ceiling. 

Think Phillip Rivers delivery and streakiness (late career Rivers streakiness) with athleticism. The big missing component for me is how well does he understand the position from the shoulders up. Flip doesn’t get enough credit for that, I’m not sure where McDonald is whatsoever in that regard but being benched a couple times throughout the season or at least being part of rotation after starting the season as QB 1 leaves me with some doubts. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t pulling for the kid though. Somewhere Colt Brennan and Timmy Chang are smiling. 

Edited by Fureys49ers
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, vikes635 said:

Cole McDonald has some really good flashes on tape which lead him to be 10. Herbert I would say has bust written all over him since he hasn’t improved that much since his freshman year, he has some bad mechanics and mentally just stops thinking on some throws. When it comes to potential I would say Tua has the highest ceiling but potential is subjective

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

That’s fine, as long as you make the same assumption about Herbert. There is no way what so ever, at all, that they aren’t comparable m. And I prefer Love. 

I don't like Herbert at all, either. 

I really wouldn't call it an assumption either. It's common sense. You're struggling against competition where 95% of the people won't sniff an NFL field. That's not good

Edited by JTagg7754

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I genuinely rank Montez over Herbert. At least Colorado is terrible, so Montez being a project is excusable. Herbert had an O-line with NFL talent across the board and a QB friendly system and still managed to underwhelm against lesser talent. 

I'm not particularly high on Love either, but I rank him well over both Montez and Herbert, just a tick below Eason. 

Edited by ronjon1990