QB Rankings

Jerry1738

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Is his ceiling any different than Joe Burrow’s? Neither is riddled with physical skills. Burrow has a stronger arm maybe...but barely, if he does. He’s a little quicker, but neither are going to be zone/read threats.  

Both guys are accurate throwers and have a keen sense for the game. I don’t think either guy has an elite physical ceiling. And a mental ceiling is pretty much endless and never truly “capped” like physical traits. 

If you like Burrow, it doesn’t make sense to DQ Fromm dud to a lack of a high ceiling. 

Burrow seems way more athletic than Fromm to me, and I’m a Fromm fan.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Is his ceiling any different than Joe Burrow’s? Neither is riddled with physical skills. Burrow has a stronger arm maybe...but barely, if he does. He’s a little quicker, but neither are going to be zone/read threats.  

Both guys are accurate throwers and have a keen sense for the game. I don’t think either guy has an elite physical ceiling. And a mental ceiling is pretty much endless and never truly “capped” like physical traits. 

If you like Burrow, it doesn’t make sense to DQ Fromm dud to a lack of a high ceiling. 

Nah, mental stuff is not endess 

35 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Nah, mental stuff is not endess 

In terms of your ceiling? How is it not?

It is possible for every player to master the game mentally.

It is not possible for every player to master the game physically.

Is it likely that a turnover prone mess is going to turn it around in time? No, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

I've tried hard to sell myself on Eason, Herbert, or Love and just can't bring myself around on any of them, and I typically want big arm guys under center.

I'm really questioning if you've actually watched Jacob Eason if you don't say he has a big arm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm really questioning if you've actually watched Jacob Eason if you don't say he has a big arm.

You seem to have misread what I said. 

To clarify, I said that despite placing significant value on arm strength, I still can't bring myself to like Eason, Love, or Herbert... and instead am most interested in Anthony Gordon, a QB I specifically mentioned arm strength being a mild concern for. 

Edited by Epyon

17 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Currently living through a QB with all the physical tools that can not process information I am more and more open to the idea of less tools and more processing power.

People seriously underrate the mental aspect of the position. "BuT cAN hE Run zonE reAD wIth A RoCKEt Amr?"

Makes no sense to me but whatever.

FWIW, I would take a more cerebral QB over one that's not but is more athletic. You obviously need some athleticism but it's not the end-all, be-all of a QB prospect. Gotta have the right nugget also.

8 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

People seriously underrate the mental aspect of the position. "BuT cAN hE Run zonE reAD wIth A RoCKEt Amr?"

Makes no sense to me but whatever.

FWIW, I would take a more cerebral QB over one that's not but is more athletic. You obviously need some athleticism but it's not the end-all, be-all of a QB prospect. Gotta have the right nugget also.

I have realized living through the Mitchell failure that a lot of a QB winning happens pre snap and has little to do with the actual throw.

I use to think that deep passing was heavily reliant on a big arm. Now I realize that it has a lot more to do with timing and placement then it does having the arm to out throw the defense.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I have realized living through the Mitchell failure that a lot of a QB winning happens pre snap and has little to do with the actual throw.

I use to think that deep passing was heavily reliant on a big arm. Now I realize that it has a lot more to do with timing and placement then it does having the arm to out throw the defense.

I think most QBs can get the ball down field, the difference is how quickly can they get the ball to it's location in mid range throws and deep throws. More zip means there are windows there for them to throw into that others don't have.

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

This is the thinking outside the box type posts this forum needs honestly. Just non stop closed mindness around here. Burrows timing on sideline/deep passes, leading WRs, throwing guys open, can never be matched by Fromm but is it out of the realm of possibility they can have similar careers? Absolutely not. Both have very similar physical tools and Fromm is probably just an inch below Burrow in both the IQ and Accuracy department. He’s probably #2 in this class in those specific categories, QB IQ and Accuracy. 

12 hours ago, Epyon said:

My money right now would be on Anthony Gordon being the non burrow QB to find success as a future starter from this class (Fromm I can also see having a solid career as a backup)

I will readily admit Gordon is a sizable project, however. Footwork issues, arm strength concerns, size concerns and limited experience (and that experience is in an air raid system)....  He's not a year 1 starter.That said, I at least see his issues being more experience related than talent related. His ball placement, quick throwing motion, ability to throw off platform, and his reads are all standout pluses (reads somewhat taken with a grain of salt for the system he's in).. He's also reportedly highly intelligent, has had teamates come out to do media on his behalf pre draft, and had a pretty solid video breakdown from Mark Schofield. I'd add he also was responsible for the most points put up on Oregon all year.

Agreed. Gordon's reminding me of Trevor Siemian. Although I do like Eason more than most.

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Is his ceiling any different than Joe Burrow’s?

Yes

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He is more athletic, but it's not like either is going to be a consistent running threat in the NFL. I don't think athleticism makes Burrow's ceiling that much higher.

Definitely not just about being a running threat. The Brady comps for Burrow had to do with his pocket presence, accuracy under pressure, and clutch gene he unleashed this year. Fromm doesn't really have that. He's your typical Georgia/USC type pro versed QB that should stick around but doesn't really have those extra gears, be it physically or mentally. As prospects go....Fromm is like a more mobile Matt Barkley. Burrow is a tall Tony Romo.

1 minute ago, BrownLeader said:

Agreed. Gordon's reminding me of Trevor Siemian. Although I do like Eason more than most.

Yes

Definitely not just about being a running threat. The Brady comps for Burrow had to do with his pocket presence, accuracy under pressure, and clutch gene he unleashed this year. Fromm doesn't really have that. He's your typical Georgia/USC type pro versed QB that should stick around but doesn't really have those extra gears, be it physically or mentally. As prospects go....Fromm is like a more mobile Matt Barkley. Burrow is a tall Tony Romo.

Fromms pocket presence is pretty dang good actually. Better than Herbert and Eason for sure. 

30 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Fromms pocket presence is pretty dang good actually. Better than Herbert and Eason for sure. 

Yeah I don’t know where that came from. 

@BrownLeader so you don’t think Fromm could develop those traits though? When evaluating a ceiling, you can’t count mental attributes that can be improved. Ceiling is purely physical in my opinion.