QB Rankings

Jerry1738

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I have realized living through the Mitchell failure that a lot of a QB winning happens pre snap and has little to do with the actual throw.

I use to think that deep passing was heavily reliant on a big arm. Now I realize that it has a lot more to do with timing and placement then it does having the arm to out throw the defense.

Big armed QB that can't play the position should pretty much be a trope at this point.  I mean, if Josh Allen pans out, he might be the first one I can remember of that profile that did.  Every other time I can think of, dude busted hard.  Which is one reason I'm so anti-Love.  He loses a good coaching staff and suddenly sucks.  That doesn't tell me poor play this season was the coach's fault, it tells me his success in 2018 was just due to the coach's offensive scheme.

I like Fromm, but I'd hate to take him in the first because he has physical limitations.  He can play as a QB and be good, but he does have a low ceiling.  Burrow seems to have significantly more arm strength and athleticism, while being ahead of Fromm in touch and anticipation (though Burrow has a great roster of receivers too), so I do see the slight difference in athleticism being a pretty significant difference maker myself.

Fromm could totally work out in the NFL, but you will need the right system, and that limits teams that would want him.  Love could develop into a superstar if he fixes his flaws, yes, but the chances of fixing those flaws seem pretty slim to me, since they are absolutely essential to playing the position.  I don't play the lottery.

I guess my rankings would be somewhere along the line of Burrow, Tua (assuming his health checks out), Fromm, Eason, Herbert, Love, Hurts.  I probably can't really say much about any other prospect honestly.  Haven't watched enough tape.  Been meaning to watch more of the Wake Forest kid though.

• Like 2

Honestly, I cannot stress this enough, Jake Fromm is not a good QB prospect.  He struggles with the speed of the game, has poor vision, and no those things don't just improve.  I believe physical and mental ceilings are about the same.  Sure a guy can change his footwork but most the time he either has the rocket arm or he doesn't.  Same goes for field vision or just flat out playing the QB postion, either he has it or he doesn't.  Jake Fromm does not have it at this level.  

Everyone likes Fromm because he is a prototype fratboy QB with an above average arm and an overall good kid.  His absolute ceiling is Matt Cassel. 

4 hours ago, warsawian said:

Honestly, I cannot stress this enough, Jake Fromm is not a good QB prospect.  He struggles with the speed of the game, has poor vision, and no those things don't just improve.  I believe physical and mental ceilings are about the same.  Sure a guy can change his footwork but most the time he either has the rocket arm or he doesn't.  Same goes for field vision or just flat out playing the QB postion, either he has it or he doesn't.  Jake Fromm does not have it at this level.  

Everyone likes Fromm because he is a prototype fratboy QB with an above average arm and an overall good kid.  His absolute ceiling is Matt Cassel. 

He’s not a great QB prospect, but to say he’s not a good prospect by a semi-objective standard is pretty disingenuous.

Played against great defenses, at a high level, lots of wins, outcompeted another top prospect from this class, seemingly a good understanding of the game and playing the position, since he switched OCs over the last two seasons without a hiccup.

I don’t know how you can conclude he doesn’t have good or at least above average field vision.

5 hours ago, warsawian said:

This reads literally the opposite of any scouting report you read on him.

10 hours ago, warsawian said:

Everyone likes Fromm because he is a prototype fratboy QB 

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

This is certainly my number 1 criteria when evaluating QB prospects

Amateur hour.  We all know the real way to accurately evaluate a QB is how hot his girlfriend is.

On 1/28/2020 at 5:07 PM, BrownLeader said:

On 1/28/2020 at 5:07 PM, BrownLeader said:

Burrow is a tall Tony Romo.

This is the best comparison for Burrow in my opinion, a guy who is a good sometimes elite top 10 qb but never the games best like some people think Burrow will be 

32 minutes ago, Jerry1738 said:

This is the best comparison for Burrow in my opinion, a guy who is a good sometimes elite top 10 qb but never the games best like some people think Burrow will be 

Do some people think Burrow will be the game’s best QB? Because that’s the first time I’ve heard that said.

47 minutes ago, Jerry1738 said:

I mean people are acting like he’s a can’t miss prospect and the best we have seen since Andrew Luck

Someone posed the question regarding why people see Burrow as a 1st rounder now if they didn't last year. 

The obvious answers aside (more tape, more experience, 2nd year in a system, etc) it was probably more of a fair question than initially given credit for. Don't get me wrong, Burrow absolutely worked his butt off and is 100% deserving of the #1 overall spot. But I do agree that the hype has gone a bit overboard.

Based on his great season, if I needed a QB and was picking #1, I'd go with him. It's too risky not to. But the fact remains that he's still very much a 1-year wonder. Now, watching him, I can't say I see bust written on him. I don't really even see a 50/50 split. But you're absolutely correct about people acting like him not panning out is somehow impossible.

On 1/29/2020 at 7:16 AM, Daniel said:

He’s not a great QB prospect, but to say he’s not a good prospect by a semi-objective standard is pretty disingenuous.

Played against great defenses, at a high level, lots of wins, outcompeted another top prospect from this class, seemingly a good understanding of the game and playing the position, since he switched OCs over the last two seasons without a hiccup.

I don’t know how you can conclude he doesn’t have good or at least above average field vision.

SEC doesn't have better defenses than any other conference anymore.