Brian Poole

Trevor Siemian

Alex Lewis

Terrell Basham

Cut

Kelechi Osemele

Tru Johnson

Daryl Roberts

Several others that are cheap cuts like Bellamy and such.

Restructure 2-3 guys to clear up a bit more cap space.

Free Agency

C/OG: Graham Glasgow: comes in and can play Center for us. 

OT: Hala Vaitai: Can play pretty much any position on the OL. For us he is battling Edoga for a starting spot.

OG: Joe Thuney: NE doesn’t pay guys so they let Thuney walk. We hop right on that to get our LG.

CB: Jimmy Smith: Vet CB that has ties to JD.

CB: Ronald Darby: ties to JD as well, shoudlnt cost much after struggling and battling injuries. A buy low type guy. Creating competition at CB.

Edge: Vic Beasley: take a shot on the guy. Shouldnt cost a ton like the other big name edges. Maybe Gregg can get the most out of him.

WR: Sammy Watkins: I loved him in the draft and injuries and all have held him back. I think he gets cut by KC and wont be looking for this HUGE pay day bc he's still owed quite a bit of money this next season.

WR: Randall Cobb: showed he still has some game that a lot thought he lost. Perfect Gase WR for this offense. Can play on the outside and slot.

Draft

1st: Tristan Wirfs (OT/Iowa): This is a hard projection at this stage. But I do believe we for sure go OT here. Its just who will be available. Right now I think Wirfs might drop to us. But realistically I'll gladly draft Wills, Wirfs, Becton or Thomas here.

2nd: Justin Jefferson (WR/LSU): #1 WR potential. Stacked WR class has him slip to us and we get a 1st round talent in the top 50. I think we go WR here regardless as well. Other guys I'd be happy with in this area are Shenault, Aiyuk or Johnson.

3rd (from NYG): Lloyd Cushenberry (C/LSU): start grooming us a starting C. Gives us flexibility to play Glasgow at G if we want as well rather than Lewis. In essence it’s a battle of if Cushenberry is better at C than Lewis is at RG to decide who starts here.

3rd Cam Akers (RB/FSU): this is more than likely Bells last year with us... so this is his replacement who can work in with him as a rookie. Love Akers' skill set. Kinda going under the radar bc of how bad FSU was.

4th: Alex Highsmith (Edge/Charoltte): Small school guy that guys at Clemson raved about how good he was against them. Guy can play in the NFL.

5th: K’Von Wallace (S/Clemson): Depth at S behind Adams and Maye.

6th: Kendrick Rogers (WR/Texas A&M): Big bodied WR to groom into hopefully something.

7th: Dominik Eberle (K/Utah State): We need a reliable young kicker. Just draft one.

Summary is that we rebuilt the OL, which for me should be the focus of the offseason. This should help us big time.

We add 2 edges in Beasley and Highsmith to go along with Jenkins and Basham already. Another need gets addressed.

At WR we add Cobb, Watkins and Jefferson giving us 4 good WRs (Crowder). And depth with Rogers

At CB we add Smith and Darby. Austin and Poole still here so that’s 4 talented CBs.

At RB we let Bell and Akers be a 2 headed monster.

Starters look like this...

QB: Darnold

RB: Bell and Akers

WR: Watkins, Jefferson, Cobb, Crowder, Rogers, Berrios, Smith

TE: Herndon, Griffin

LT: Wirfs

LG: Thuney

C: Glasgow or Cushenberry 

RG: Lewis or Glasgow

RT: Vaitai, Edoga

DL: Williams

DL: Fatukasi

DL: Anderson

OLB: Beasley

ILB: Mosley

ILB: Williamson

OLB: Jenkins

CB: Smith

CB: Austin

CB: Darby

CB: Poole

FS: Maye

SS: Adams

K: Eberle

P: Edwards

• Like 1

Love the upgrades to the o-line. I think any mock offseason without this being the main objective doesn’t make sense as we can all see it’s the #1 priority over the next few months. 

Huge upgrade at cornerback with Smith and Darby. That allows Austin to develop and not put too much pressure on him. 

I love the Beasley signing but I’d prefer him to be unleashed in passing situations or be the ‘second guy’ which would mean he’d not got double teamed/chipped because I don’t think he can take on the mantle as the number one guy. I’d prefer signing a top tier pass rusher instead of resigning Jenkins but that’s just my opinion. 

Oh and you’ve got us trading Bell but have him the depth chart and saying about a 2 headed monster so I presume that was a mistake ?!  🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

Love the upgrades to the o-line. I think any mock offseason without this being the main objective doesn’t make sense as we can all see it’s the #1 priority over the next few months. 

Huge upgrade at cornerback with Smith and Darby. That allows Austin to develop and not put too much pressure on him. 

I love the Beasley signing but I’d prefer him to be unleashed in passing situations or be the ‘second guy’ which would mean he’d not got double teamed/chipped because I don’t think he can take on the mantle as the number one guy. I’d prefer signing a top tier pass rusher instead of resigning Jenkins but that’s just my opinion. 

Oh and you’ve got us trading Bell but have him the depth chart and saying about a 2 headed monster so I presume that was a mistake ?!  🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes I have us keeping him. I’ll fix that now

30 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Whirfs and Jefferson would be my dream, but I think Jefferson is one good combine away from going in the first.

Obviously I like him. And it is optimistic to think Jefferson will be there at 48. Thats why I said I'd be happy with the 3 others here as well. And I think they're all worthy of top 50 draft picks. Point is grabbing a talented young WR for Darnold to build a re-pour with. Cant just throw FAs (who will only be with us for 2-3yrs) and late rounders for him to throw to his whole career.

One of the worst thing we could actually do (besides not protecting him) is not address WR with high picks this year. Look at who we have under contract at WR this next year.

Jamison Crowder is on a 3yr deal, this being his 2nd year and he's very cuttable after this next season (in fact I think he's guaranteed no money after this season).

Quincy Enunwa is on a 4yr deal, this being his 2nd year. His contract isnt as easy to cut. But they might be able to come to some sort of an agreement to pay him out of it bc of his injuries.

Josh Bellamy is on the last year of his deal and is very cuttable right now.

And guys like Berrios, Smith and Chesson are all making $660,000 and could be cut for nothing at any point.

So if you look... we have NO WRs under contract when we are due to pay Darnold in a 2-3yrs (assuming he proves he's a franchise QB). Do we really want to throw a HUGE contract at a 25-26yr old QB with no WRs he's built that re-pour with to get that contract.

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Obviously I like him. And it is optimistic to think Jefferson will be there at 48. Thats why I said I'd be happy with the 3 others here as well. And I think they're all worthy of top 50 draft picks. Point is grabbing a talented young WR for Darnold to build a re-pour with. Cant just throw FAs (who will only be with us for 2-3yrs) and late rounders for him to throw to his whole career.

One of the worst thing we could actually do (besides not protecting him) is not address WR with high picks this year. Look at who we have under contract at WR this next year.

Jamison Crowder is on a 3yr deal, this being his 2nd year and he's very cuttable after this next season (in fact I think he's guaranteed no money after this season).

Quincy Enunwa is on a 4yr deal, this being his 2nd year. His contract isnt as easy to cut. But they might be able to come to some sort of an agreement to pay him out of it bc of his injuries.

Josh Bellamy is on the last year of his deal and is very cuttable right now.

And guys like Berrios, Smith and Chesson are all making $660,000 and could be cut for nothing at any point.

So if you look... we have NO WRs under contract when we are due to pay Darnold in a 2-3yrs (assuming he proves he's a franchise QB). Do we really want to throw a HUGE contract at a 25-26yr old QB with no WRs he's built that re-pour with to get that contract.

Hey, I want a WR probably more than anyone here, so you're preaching to the choir. I just think Jefferson's playoff performance already has him positioned to be taken before our 2nd round pick and a good combine will only worsen our chances.

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

If those WRs aren't worth it, then yes.

I'm passing judgement on the WRs yet, but if they're not good, they're not good, no matter how much Sam likes hanging out with them in the locker room.

~

You really thumped the OL situation.  I like that a lot.

Of all the receivers available in this draft, Jefferson is the single best pairing with Darnold. Selfishly I kind of hope he runs slow at the combine so he falls. That said, a few comments on how you approached the position: 

• Absolutely think Watkins is a strong possibility. Only thing I’m weary of is that I’ve heard he and Dandy (his agent) will consider restructuring to stay with the team. Watch out for a scenario where he takes a pay cut/converts money into incentive pay in exchange for more guarantees. He doesn’t want to leave KC. 
  • Sorry if I sound overly critical (it’s been one of those weeks), but Randall Cobb doesn’t make any sense. Had a resurgence this year and will be in hotter demand than people think (might even get $7-9 million per year), but he primarily a slot guy. Crowder is our established top slot receiver, and Jefferson/Herndon/Enunwa (who JD and Gase have said they expect to return) are players that will demand slot reps. More prudent move would be to bring back DT as the veteran presence/valuable reserve as a 4th/5th receiver. Crowder isn’t going anywhere, so while his contract may allow the Jets to cut him, I think an extension is more likely... the powers that be (Douglas-Gase-Darnold) love him and he was one of the most productive slot receivers in the NFL when Darnold was at QB.
  • To parlay off that, I’d be really bummed if we come out of this draft with only Jefferson and a late rounder at WR. We’re talking about the greatest receiver draft ever. Personally, I’d rather sacrifice a position like EDGE or S for the sake of taking one of the many Day 2 talents who are bound to fall into Day 3. I’m not sure the Jets will do it, but I really hope we grab 3 WRs in this draft - kind of how Arizona did last year. 

Cam Akers a very good fit in the scheme Gase would prefer to run (outside zone). I can see him being a guy the Jets have on their short list most definitely, just hard to piece it together where he’ll go right now. 

3 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Of all the receivers available in this draft, Jefferson is the single best pairing with Darnold. Selfishly I kind of hope he runs slow at the combine so he falls. That said, a few comments on how you approached the position: 

• Absolutely think Watkins is a strong possibility. Only thing I’m weary of is that I’ve heard he and Dandy (his agent) will consider restructuring to stay with the team. Watch out for a scenario where he takes a pay cut/converts money into incentive pay in exchange for more guarantees. He doesn’t want to leave KC. 
  • Sorry if I sound overly critical (it’s been one of those weeks), but Randall Cobb doesn’t make any sense. Had a resurgence this year and will be in hotter demand than people think (might even get $7-9 million per year), but he primarily a slot guy. Crowder is our established top slot receiver, and Jefferson/Herndon/Enunwa (who JD and Gase have said they expect to return) are players that will demand slot reps. More prudent move would be to bring back DT as the veteran presence/valuable reserve as a 4th/5th receiver. Crowder isn’t going anywhere, so while his contract may allow the Jets to cut him, I think an extension is more likely... the powers that be (Douglas-Gase-Darnold) love him and he was one of the most productive slot receivers in the NFL when Darnold was at QB.
  • To parlay off that, I’d be really bummed if we come out of this draft with only Jefferson and a late rounder at WR. We’re talking about the greatest receiver draft ever. Personally, I’d rather sacrifice a position like EDGE or S for the sake of taking one of the many Day 2 talents who are bound to fall into Day 3. I’m not sure the Jets will do it, but I really hope we grab 3 WRs in this draft - kind of how Arizona did last year. 

Cam Akers a very good fit in the scheme Gase would prefer to run (outside zone). I can see him being a guy the Jets have on their short list most definitely, just hard to piece it together where he’ll go right now. 

Cobb pretty much his whole career has moved around. He isn’t just a slot WR. He lines up everywhere.

I like it for the most part.  I think Jefferson actually might make it to us, as i don't think he is the type of guy who is going to light the combine on fire.  He ran a 4.88 coming out of HS in 2017.... i am sure he has gotten quite a bit faster but i don't see him running like low 4.4's or anything. 

I am fully in on the Cushenberry train, especially after the senior bowl he has had. 

I am a bit hesitant on Thuney as Pat's OL seem to not perform as well outside of NE generally but if the money is ok i can handle it.  

Depending on what OT's are off the board at 11 i don't think Wirfs would be my first choice.  Some people are projecting him as an OG at this point.  If he is still there i would take Becton over Wirfs imo.  I think he has a higher ceiling and can play both sides easier.  

On 1/24/2020 at 3:47 PM, Bobby816 said:

Cobb pretty much his whole career has moved around. He isn’t just a slot WR. He lines up everywhere.

Fair, but in 2019 he spent 86.4% in the slot.   For players that played at least 25% of their team’s snaps, that was the most among all receivers in the NFL by a wide margin (second was Cole Beasley at 71.4%). 

I appreciate that you may have noticed he shares the same agent as Darnold/Gase/Douglas, but it just doesn’t make much sense to sign a player who has transitioned into a primary slot player in his 9th year after struggling to stay healthy/consistently play at an effective level in 2015-2018 as more of an all around receiver.

I mean i'd be fine if this is how it turned out.  I don't think there is much chance of Cushenberry being there in the 3rd after the senior bowl week he had.  Honestly some mocks have him moving into the back end of the 1st or early 2nd.  If he is there in the 3rd I'd crap my pants from yelling his name at my TV while waiting for the pick.  

I don't mind Wirfs at all, but if Becton is still on the board in this scenario I think i would prefer him.  I just think he has a higher ceiling and can play both RT and LT.

11 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Fair, but in 2019 he spent 86.4% in the slot.   For players that played at least 25% of their team’s snaps, that was the most among all receivers in the NFL by a wide margin (second was Cole Beasley at 71.4%). 

I appreciate that you may have noticed he shares the same agent as Darnold/Gase/Douglas, but it just doesn’t make much sense to sign a player who has transitioned into a primary slot player in his 9th year after struggling to stay healthy/consistently play at an effective level in 2015-2018 as more of an all around receiver.

Totally recognize he's more useful in the slot. But he has played a ton on the outside throughout his career. I mean he had Cooper and Gallup on his team, so why not play him in the slot. With us we could move guys around to create mismatches. Yes Crowder and him are more useful in the slot... but they both can play on the outside (Crowder did this a bunch at the end of the season bc of injuries).