The Obscure Games/Nostalgic Games You Love Thread

TOUCAN

One of my favourite games from back in the day is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines from back in 2004.

I recently got a free trial of Game Pass, and so I've been trying a few games that looked interesting but I wasn't sure enough about to spend money on yet. As part of that, I've been playing Vampyr from 2018. I... kind of love it. It gives me some Bloodlines vibes (though it isn't quite the classic in my mind that Bloodlines is). I didn't like it (Vampyr) much for the first hour or two, and it's very rough around the edges (some weird animations and facial expressions, voice acting, conversation system in general), but after a little while the combat clicked with me and I started really getting into the world in particular, and the story is pretty interesting too. It has a bit of a moral choice system that you can pretty much ignore unfortunately, but it's a great recreation of post-WW1 London and the atmosphere just sucks you in. Combat is kind of Bloodborne-lite and the boss fights can be intense and challenging.

It didn't get the greatest critical reception, and I can definitely see that it's not a game for everyone, but I think it's great and am very happy that it was made.

Man one time I spent more money than I care to admit gathering up all those nostalgic games and not many of them held up.  They get damn EXPENSIVE, too.  I think I paid 50 for each of the first three Mario Party games. 

The one game that still holds up from the original Xbox days was Run Like Hell.  Such an underrated survival horror game.  I'd kill for a remake of that. 

Nothing really obscure, but I am a huge Star Wars fan and love the older games.  These are some of my favorites 

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight 

TIE Fighter 

X-Wing Alliance 

Rogue Squadron 

Rogue Leader 

Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 

Shadows of the Empire 

Battlefront II (the original) 

Republic Commando

I've recently found a YouTuber who did a playthrough of Jedi Knight years ago, and someone had modded it to bring some of the graphics up to date, but I am not sure if I could play it now.  I also doubt that TIE Fighter would be able to be played now either.  I'd love to have some of the old flight simulator games remastered.  I'm also a big fan of The Old Republic MMO despite it being the only MMO I've played.  The storytelling is fantastic, and as such I've subscribed since day one. 

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

There was a game called Lode Runner on a **** old PC and I have tried for forever to find a way I could play that again.  It was the sequel of that series I think.

I think there was a few versions of it or whatever but this is the one I played on the family computer back then I think. I don't remember The Legend Returns title but it was definitely this game. 

• Like 1

Just now, skywindO2 said:

I think there was a few versions of it or whatever but this is the one I played on the family computer back then I think. I don't remember The Legend Returns title but it was definitely this game. 

Yep, that is the game I'm talking about.  I would pay like 100 dollars to be able to play this again.  It was so much fun.  There were a couple levels I couldn't figure out then, but I'm sure I could now. 

On 26/01/2020 at 6:57 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Rogue Squadron 

Between the age of about 8 and 12, I probably played the first level of Rogue Squadron about 20 times. Had no idea what I was doing and could never get past the second level, but I loved the idea of that game. Always thought I'd like to go back and replay that, I at least need to watch a playthrough on Youtube sometime.

On the Star Wars theme, the Phantom Menace game on PC and PS1 was brilliant. The two levels on Mos Eisa? (Or spelled something similar? Where Anakin lives basically) are genuinely two of my favorite levels of any game from my childhood.

• Like 1

It's so funny how it depends on the games for me. I've pretty much gone back and played every old Final Fantasy and it's been great (actually doing VIII remastered right now).  NCAA football is still great. But some games that I played the crap out of don't hold up anymore. Recently, I've played games like Age of Empires II, Goldeneye, and other PC games like Tropico that just haven't held up. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

It's so funny how it depends on the games for me. I've pretty much gone back and played every old Final Fantasy and it's been great (actually doing VIII remastered right now).  NCAA football is still great. But some games that I played the crap out of don't hold up anymore. Recently, I've played games like Age of Empires II, Goldeneye, and other PC games like Tropico that just haven't held up. 

The new Definitive Edition for AOE2 is legit, what about the game do you think does not hold up?

Have you played any of the recent Tropicos, or are you just referring to the original?

25 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

The new Definitive Edition for AOE2 is legit, what about the game do you think does not hold up?

Have you played any of the recent Tropicos, or are you just referring to the original?

1) Haven't played the definitive edition. I just wasn't as in to it when I played it.

2) Up through 4