Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis

August4th

2 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

Why not both?

Nothing saying they can't. They do go hand in hand I guess.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out from a football standpoint. Biggest being draft picks if it every got to that..

Edited by HDsportsfan

46 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Fighting to shield their own emails about PR help. Not silencing victims. Or anything like that. Pay attention to what you’re reading. Or learn what a cover-up is.

The lawsuit is alleging very clearly that Saints ownership "aided the Archdiocese of New Orleans in its “pattern and practice of concealing its crimes.” 

And how exactly does one conceal a pattern and practice? By covering up "something". 

Perhaps you should learn what a cover-up is? Unless you're from the future and already know the entire outcome of the case. 

1 minute ago, HDsportsfan said:

Nothing saying they can't. They do go hand in hand I guess.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out from a football standpoint. Biggest being draft picks if it every got to that..

Yeah in all seriousness I hope it comes out what they are actually hiding because if you are linked to child predation and you start taking a bunch of flack and the rumor mill starts going and you STILL don't give up your emails then I really have no choice but to assume the worst and think you were helping to cover up. In that scenario, hit them as hard as you can possibly hit them. 

32 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

The lawsuit is alleging very clearly that Saints ownership "aided the Archdiocese of New Orleans in its “pattern and practice of concealing its crimes.” 

And how exactly does one conceal a pattern and practice? By covering up "something". 

Perhaps you should learn what a cover-up is? Unless you're from the future and already know the entire outcome of the case. 

That’s a quote from the attorneys for the plaintiffs. They use rhetoric like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Once punishments are handed out we shouldn't be hearing from the Saints for a long time! Draft picks and Free Agency should all be effected. It's an embarrassment to the Saints and a bigger embarrassment to the NFL. 

Feel bad for their fans though!

Why exactly? Even if they are guilty of bad PR handling it has nothing to do with football. 

2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Because I want the Saints to suffer

Lol I still have yet to read anything clear cut or maybe I just need to read again what the accusations are. But what exactly is the crime they are guilty of? Did they actually silence victims or cover up the crimes? I wouldn't even understand how that is possible for Benson, cause from my understanding the vast majority of these crimes happened on church property. 

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Why exactly? Even if they are guilty of bad PR handling it has nothing to do with football. 

Neither does recreational drug use, assault and traffic violations. 

But, I'm sure you mean the individuals are in the alleged wrong, therefore the individuals should be punished; not the organization as a whole, right?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

This is unlikely as the emails occurred in 2018 & 2019, and an email was cited in October, after the facts came out.

Just now, animaltested said:

Neither does recreational drug use, assault and traffic violations. 

But, I'm sure you mean the individuals are in the alleged wrong, therefore the individuals should be punished; not the organization as a whole, right?

Exactly. If there was an actual crime here done by Benson then it should be him that is punished such as selling the team, etc. 

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

Lol I still have yet to read anything clear cut or maybe I just need to read again what the accusations are. But what exactly is the crime they are guilty of? Did they actually silence victims or cover up the crimes? I wouldn't even understand how that is possible for Benson, cause from my understanding the vast majority of these crimes happened on church property. 

The NFL is being dragged into it because Executives in the Saints Org were communicating directly with the accused party about how to handle the PR side of things while using their official NFL emails; ergo acting (unintentionally) as representatives of the NFL advising an outside party on how to handle the a scandal.  Not illegal, but the NFL does have to get involved. And TBH it is pretty gross just on principal alone.

• Like 1