Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis

August4th

4 minutes ago, animaltested said:

The NFL is being dragged into it because Executives in the Saints Org were communicating directly with the accused party about how to handle the PR side of things while using their official NFL emails; ergo acting (unintentionally) as representatives of the NFL advising an outside party on how to handle the a scandal.  Not illegal, but the NFL does have to get involved. And TBH it is pretty gross just on principal alone.

Seems to me they were personal emails sent via official channels. If there is no evidence of official Saints involvement, the league would be acting hastily. 

Also, shooting from hip here, the accusers want access to emails as evidence (im assuming, among many other things) that the Archdiocese was attempting to conceal the crimes that happened under its oversight. The emails, and guidance are not illegal, but could help prove the motives, Going out on a limb here, but this probably isn't a criminal case, but civil case. 

The discussion of Mrs Benson and stooges is about if the NFL should punish them for hurting the integrity of the shield, since they did communicate from their NFL emails. And of course the whole public opinion question (an NFL representative supporting a enabler of abuse).

Just now, animaltested said:

Also, shooting from hip here, the accusers want access to emails as evidence (im assuming, among many other things) that the Archdiocese was attempting to conceal the crimes that happened under its oversight. The emails, and guidance are not illegal, but could help prove the motives, Going out on a limb here, but this probably isn't a criminal case, but civil case. 

The discussion of Mrs Benson and stooges is about if the NFL should punish them for hurting the integrity of the shield, since they did communicate from their NFL emails. And of course the whole public opinion question (an NFL representative supporting a enabler of abuse).

I don't understand why this has to be complicated at all. You help child molesters, then don't pass go, don't collect $200, GTFO. Pretty simple.

• Like 1

I haven't read everything on this yet so don't know how proven this is yet, but if true then fire everyone involved into the sun. Doesn't seem like any players or coaching staff was involved, should be a quick and easy decision then. I expect the NBA would be swift in forcing Benson to sell but who knows with the NFL. And of course, heart goes out to everyone affected. Hope everyone involved gets what's coming to them but to say I'm confident in the NFL to do the right thing is laughable. 

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't understand why this has to be complicated at all. You help child molesters, then don't pass go, don't collect $200, GTFO. Pretty simple.

Agreed.

Jerry Richardson was forced out for being a gross old dude. Mrs Benson and crew offering advice and guidance to child abuse inc, is WAY worse. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

I expect the NBA would be swift in forcing Benson to sell but who knows with the NFL.

Since Jerry Richardson had to sell the Panthers after everything broke there, I think you can have some hope that Goodell will pull his head out of his butt and do the right thing.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

While there is current litigation relative to the New Orleans Archdiocese and clergy sex abuse, our comments are limited only to the scope of our involvement. The New Orleans Saints organization has always had a very strong relationship with the Archdiocese. The Archdiocese reached out to a number of community and civic minded leaders seeking counsel on handling the pending media attention that would come with the release of the clergy names in November of 2018. Greg Bensel, Senior Vice President of Communications for the New Orleans Saints, was contacted and offered input on how to work with the media. The advice was simple and never wavering. Be direct, open and fully transparent, while making sure that all law enforcement agencies were alerted. The New Orleans Saints, Greg Bensel and Mrs. Gayle Benson were and remain offended, disappointed and repulsed by the actions of certain past clergy. We remain steadfast in support of the victims who have suffered and pray for their continued healing...

Saints statement

I don't think that anything legal will come from this. The Saints didn't cover anything up. They gave public relations advice. Frankly...it was stupid to get involved at all. But I doubt anything will come from this.

Edited by sammymvpknight

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

While there is current litigation relative to the New Orleans Archdiocese and clergy sex abuse, our comments are limited only to the scope of our involvement. The New Orleans Saints organization has always had a very strong relationship with the Archdiocese. The Archdiocese reached out to a number of community and civic minded leaders seeking counsel on handling the pending media attention that would come with the release of the clergy names in November of 2018. Greg Bensel, Senior Vice President of Communications for the New Orleans Saints, was contacted and offered input on how to work with the media. The advice was simple and never wavering. Be direct, open and fully transparent, while making sure that all law enforcement agencies were alerted. The New Orleans Saints, Greg Bensel and Mrs. Gayle Benson were and remain offended, disappointed and repulsed by the actions of certain past clergy. We remain steadfast in support of the victims who have suffered and pray for their continued healing...

Saints statement

I don't think that anything legal will come from this. The Saints didn't cover anything up. They gave public relations advice. Frankly...it was stupid to get involved at all. But I doubt anything will come from this.

"Be fully transparent" says the organization fighting the release of these e-mails in court.

• Like 4