Ngakoue Thread: News and Notes

.Buzz

I believe this guy deserves his own thread. He's been one of our best pass rushers in years (although that's not saying a lot) but he's the heart and soul of this defense right now.

I don't think he'll be back, and I'm not sure yet if I see him as an elite top level pass rusher, but I don't think we've seen the best of him and I hope something gets done.

19 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

iirc the main issues back in July had to do with the guarantees and language of the offer.

Yep, give him 5 years, 65M+ guaranteed and 21-22M per year and call it a day. Has to be close if not, imo.

16 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

I feel like 23 is my cut off. 

That’s still too steep I love Yann I don’t think he is that dominant. You’re going to take the pros and cons with any player for example  Von Miller is a liability in coverage but he is so dominant as a pass rusher that you over look it. Yann is a nice player but is he a dominant player?  Plus he is suspect versus the run to me he is a very good pass rusher? Yes.. Dominating... eeeh. To me I think the 19 mill a year mark is where I’d pay him I think he would have took it if it had been a 5 yr deal. But that was then this is now so maybe he has aspirations of the 20+ mill.. if that’s the case the Jags should let him find a new suitor. That core that you had is dead you might as well restart with a cheaper yet less productive option.

The CBA usually wants players to exceed what predecessors make. By comparison Mack makes 23 mill per yer and Cameron Jordan makes 17.. Neither 1 I don’t think Yann is better then. But to add more context Jordan’s on I believe his 3rd contract. But are you really that much in need of Yann where you want to drastically over pay him for the production to keep him here? I’d rather not.

Edited by DuvalsKing

On 1/26/2020 at 10:38 AM, DuvalsKing said:

That’s still too steep I love Yann I don’t think he is that dominant. You’re going to take the pros and cons with any player for example  Von Miller is a liability in coverage but he is so dominant as a pass rusher that you over look it. Yann is a nice player but is he a dominant player?  Plus he is suspect versus the run to me he is a very good pass rusher? Yes.. Dominating... eeeh. To me I think the 19 mill a year mark is where I’d pay him I think he would have took it if it had been a 5 yr deal. But that was then this is now so maybe he has aspirations of the 20+ mill.. if that’s the case the Jags should let him find a new suitor. That core that you had is dead you might as well restart with a cheaper yet less productive option.

The CBA usually wants players to exceed what predecessors make. By comparison Mack makes 23 mill per yer and Cameron Jordan makes 17.. Neither 1 I don’t think Yann is better then. But to add more context Jordan’s on I believe his 3rd contract. But are you really that much in need of Yann where you want to drastically over pay him for the production to keep him here? I’d rather not.

23 for him is 1) showing the players they will pay for their own and hes also a leader in the lockroom. he was very professional in how he handled this unfortunate situation this year regarding his extension.  2) we need Ngakoue to keep our good EDGE rushing so we dont have another HOLE to fill when both caldwell and Marrone are likely doing it for their job this year.  i do think allen is the better all-around between both of our true edge rushers but Ngakoue has the better playmaking ability with his strip sack art. 

• Like 1