Is a London team viable at this stage?

.Buzz

I know we've had threads on these, but we're getting to the point where it's a legit possibility in the near future.

There's heavy rumors that the Jaguars are looking at an additional home game in London to push it to 2 a year. The fans in Jacksonville aren't likely to be ok with this, and given the poor performance by the organization it's in a not so great spot as far as the long term outlook for the team staying in the city.

I'm not sure if the Jaguars pushing for games in London means that it's a destination they'd move to as I do think it has more to do with Khan trying to maximize money while being in a small market as London does heavily increase revenue for the organization. But if they were to move, I'm not sure that means it'd be there but rather a bigger market in the US.

However, if London was a target for Shad, what are your thoughts on the viability of moving a team there full-time. Would it work? Would it be a nightmare and after a couple years it'd need to relocate again ala what's happening with the Chargers?

5 minutes ago, Hukos said:

Travel costs to London from road teams, especially on the west coast, are going to be nuts.

This, but also it already puts teams at disadvantages because of travel. I'd imagine they'd try to group home games together, but in that case it's just put the road team at a disadvantage.

On top of that, I really don't know that the Jaguars are even THAT popular there. They obviously have a decent following but I get the feeling most are just a big mixing pot of a ton of teams. People will probably go to the games, but will they even create a home field advantage? Idk...I just don't know.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

This, but also it already puts teams at disadvantages because of travel. I'd imagine they'd try to group home games together, but in that case it's just put the road team at a disadvantage.

On top of that, I really don't know that the Jaguars are even THAT popular there. They obviously have a decent following but I get the feeling most are just a big mixing pot of a ton of teams. People will probably go to the games, but will they even create a home field advantage? Idk...I just don't know.

I think the interest in American football in that area is very real, and if it wasn't this thread most likely wouldn't exist. People would go to the games, and it probably would serve to start growing the market for the league. The big problem with it would be the logistical nightmare a London team would create, as you point out at the beginning, there. 

The league should expand/move to Canada first. It's similar culturally, closer, is familiar with football and has a good population and economy.

Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal are all huge markets.

Move Jacksonville to Toronto, there's no logical reason why Jacksonville has an NFL team.

Edited by DigInBoys
  • Like 1

From a business standpoint, I would be hesitant to moving over there without a larger sample size of games in a given season. Turnout is probably good when it’s 2 games a year but when you’re inserting yourself into a market and now have 8+ games a year there - it can be different, especially if the team isn’t successful. 

Also, can’t imagine a playoff game for either the London team or the road team. The travel would be less than ideal.

• Like 1

There are substantial UK and EU fans for many of the 32 teams. I don't see them switching
Putting a non-premium franchise there isn't going to garner more interest and revenue than a rotation of teams coming through in the current set up
The Jags have delivered exactly (1) double digit win season and playoff appearance over the last decade. And their prospects for 2020 aren't much brighter

The goal of mo money is unlikely to be achieved by putting the Jags in London, so why go through all the logistical flips and twists needed to make it happen ?

9 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

The league should expand/move to Canada first. It's similar culturally, closer, is familiar with football and has a good population and economy.

Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal are all huge markets.

Move Jacksonville to Toronto, there's no logical reason why Jacksonville has an NFL team.

The Jaguars, considering their market size and ineptitude for the past decade and a half, have been plenty fine in Jacksonville. I know it's fun to throw shade but the fanbase is a lot stronger than they're given credit for. Wins/losses and playoff success has been right there with the bottom echelon of the league ala Bucs, Lions, Browns, etc.

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

There are substantial UK and EU fans for many of the 32 teams. I don't see them switching
Putting a non-premium franchise there isn't going to garner more interest and revenue than a rotation of teams coming through in the current set up
The Jags have delivered exactly (1) double digit win season and playoff appearance over the last decade. And their prospects for 2020 aren't much brighter

The goal of mo money is unlikely to be achieved by putting the Jags in London, so why go through all the logistical flips and twists needed to make it happen ?

The Jaguars make a lot more money with the current 1 game in London than they do in Jacksonville. That's the whole reason why they do it now.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

The Jaguars, considering their market size and ineptitude for the past decade and a half, have been plenty fine in Jacksonville. I know it's fun to throw shade but the fanbase is a lot stronger than they're given credit for. Wins/losses and playoff success has been right there with the bottom echelon of the league ala Bucs, Lions, Browns, etc.

The Jaguars make a lot more money with the current 1 game in London than they do in Jacksonville. That's the whole reason why they do it now.

I don't think having 3 teams in Florida is justified, especially given Jacksonville's market size.

I feel the same about Cincinnati.

Edited by DigInBoys

3 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

I don't think having 3 teams in Florida is justified, especially given Jacksonville's market size.

I feel the same about Cincinnati.

That's fine, but they've had pretty much no success outside a single season in 12 years and fans continue to show up largely and they still rank higher than several other teams year in and year out in attendance.

Jacksonville isn't an ideal market, but I don't think it's fair to say they don't deserve a team considering the awful product that's been put on the field. Back in 2017 and early 2018 when they had a hint of success the place was packed.

if you're an NFL fan in the UK, you've got your team and you're probably quite an ardent fan (it takes more dedication to be a fan in the UK, with the time difference and lack of viewing options etc) of that team. 

SOME will change, if you named them the London (sillynannies) *Somethings*, but not many at all will just switch to a Jags fan even if they became a fixture.

• Like 1

I have a hard time believing that you could get an entire team/coaching staff willing to relocate to another country (uprooting families etc).

Even if you did they'd never get any big name free agents either. Canada I could see, to a point, but even then it's still a different country.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I have a hard time believing that you could get an entire team/coaching staff willing to relocate to another country (uprooting families etc).

Even if you did they'd never get any big name free agents either. Canada I could see, to a point, but even then it's still a different country.

I think Toronto makes too much sense if a team relocates.

• Like 2