LIONS DRAFT PROSPECTS FOR 2020

Karnage84

I figured it would be better to have a lot of draft chatter in one place than a whole bunch of others. With the Lions as the coaching staff of the North team for the Senior Bowl, there will definitely be a few guys to keep an eye on from there. 

I know there is a lot of draft chatter about Isaiah Simmons as a LB. I'm starting to watch some tape on him. He definitely is an athletic guy and you can see that he gets lined up all over. What I notice about him is that his tackling is very much that of a defensive back. He seems to come in and cut at the legs as opposed to wrapping and tackling. This is just coming from a highlight tape so I'll need to spend some more time with game tape. I watched another video of Kenneth Murray and came away even more impressed with him. 

25 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I like Murray, but I don't see how the Lions land him.  He is not the talent to take at 3 and I don't believe he will fall to us in the second.

He is a guy we could target with a second 1st in a trade down scenario and/or trade up with some draft ammunition lower in rd 1. Depending on what happens in FA, an Okudah/Murray pairing would be a nice bump to this defense. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 2:17 PM, LionArkie said:

I like Murray, but I don't see how the Lions land him.  He is not the talent to take at 3 and I don't believe he will fall to us in the second.

He reminds me too much of Jarrad Davis. He just doesn’t seem like he can process very quickly. I wouldn’t mind him in the 2nd but I th8nk there will be better prospects available. 

Not to turn this too much into a mini mock. Assuming that we get two 2nds from Miami in a trade down, a draft that starts like this:

1) Okudah/Brown

2A) Anae, DE

2B) Uche, Jack LB

Both guys really fit well with what Patricia and co. were doing in Mobile. Both seem like high character guys from the interviews that I've watched, which is important for the Lions. Anae was the leading sacker at Utah, which was a highly touted defense, for three years in a row. 

33 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

(I know this is the wrong place to post positive Patricia stuff, but here are some notes from his coaching at the Senior Bowl.)

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/01/matt-patricia-was-loud-profane-and-a-big-hit-among-players-at-the-senior-bowl.html

It is coming from a Detroit based news source and they aren't going to want to burn any bridges with the Lions. So I won't put a TON of weight into the article. However, I do think it does highlight a bunch of positive things for Patricia and the rest of the staff. There were reporters earlier in the week talking about how they don't waste any time in practice. A great example is having the groups jog from one side of the field to another during certain drills in order to get conditioning in without it being a scheduled part. They spoke about how well planned and detailed the practices were. 

The results on the field have not been what any of us want or expect. These just feel like positive steps forward which hopefully translate onto the field. 

• Like 3

I'm starting to really come around on the idea of Jeffrey Okudah.  I think at this point in time I would have 1A Young and 1B Okudah.  I'd be fine with him at 3, but if we could trade back to 5 and pick him up, man that'd be nice.

Edited by LionArkie

13 minutes ago, LionArkie said:
  • Mekhi Becton
  • Kyle Dugger
  • Jk Dobbins
  • Klavon Chaisson

Those first three I am quite high on.  I am guessing Becton might be a 1st but hoping he falls to the second for us. If he isnt there I wouldn't hate drafting Dobbins, although I would rather hope Dobbins falls to our 3rd and get more defense in the second. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I'm starting to really come around on the idea of Jeffrey Okudah.  I think at this point in time I would have 1A Young and 1B Okudah.  I'd be fine with him at 3, but if we could trade back to 5 and pick him up, man that'd be nice.

I need to watch more tape on him. You wouldn't believe it but my life as a pesudo-internet scout does not pay the bills. Not even one. 

It sounds like Patricia wants to start to put more focus/emphasis on the secondary as a way to increase pass-rush. If they bring in Okudah and give Slay a minor extension, we'd be in really good shape back there. I would still want to throw a bunch of picks at the defensive line and add someone through FA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miblue said:

Micheal Pittman jr

Jerry Jeudy

Cam Akers

Josh Uche

Joe Gaziano

Tanner Muse

Justin Jefferson

Tyler Johnson

Antonie Winfield jr

These are guys that I'm also interested in. I like Jeudy but that's just too rich for me in a very deep WR draft with a boatload of more pressing needs.