Defense wins championship mock draft - ONWISCONSIN STYLE

OnWisconsin-JRS

My Offseason as Gutey

Let’s start by saying hell of a season by the Pack.... to be honest I thought 8 and 8 or 9 and 7. To go 13 and 3 and get to the NFC championship is awesome but that game has got to leave a bad taste in everyone’s mouth because I know it did for me even on the rewatch it was painful.

Let’s start with who I am not bringing back:

Blake 

Allison

Goodson

Grant 

Fackrell

Cuts:

Jimmy Graham 

Lane Taylor 

Corey Linsley 

• All these cuts are designed to create cap space to maximize Arods last feel years and bring in outside talent we need 

We have about 50 mil to play with (roughly 45 because we gotta pay the rookies)

Pack FA

Biggest ONE

Brian Bulaga - we keep out RT for 3 more years at 30 mil

ON TO THE OTHERS:

Jared Veldheer - great swing tackle and come cheap 1 yr/3.5 mil 

Tyler Ervin - our return game needs him 1yr/1mil

Mason Crosby - 4 years 3.5 mil keeps him in the G

M. Lewis - wants one more year to get a ring and loves it here 1 yr / 2.5 mil

Tramon - same as Lewis wants on more great locker room glue guy 1 yr/4mil

SOME NOTABLE ERFA 

Sullivan, Redmond, Lazard, Lancaster, Tonyan and Kumerow 

ADD THAT UP AND WE HAVE 25 mil going out and about 20 mil to play with.

EXTENSIONS 

KENNY CLARK - need to pay the man... won’t kick in this year for money purposes but he will be a top 6 DT GUY going to get 14 mil a year for 5 maybe more.

AARON JONES - this needs to get done as well.... no clue on money but I would guess 13 mil

We also have some big 2021 free agents that will need new deals coming up. Off the top of my head Bahk, King lead the race 

Keeping some of that 20 mil for him and Clark so I won’t spend it all. Plus we will have Lewis, Tramon, Ervin and Veldheer coming off next year to have money for these guys. Plus I have a feeling Lowry is not seeing his whole contract just need to get passed the dead money. So we can afford both of these cornerstones. 

OUTSIDE FREE AGENTS

• Everyone wants us to sign AJ Green and I can see us kicking the tires on it.... but he hasn’t played in a year and the risk isn’t worth it so we try to fill some holes in other areas.

Timmy Jerrigan DT - plays along side Clark to gives us another guy to stop the run. Had a 1 year 2 mil deal last year in Philly. So I think we can get him for 2 years @ 3 mil per yr

David Onyemata DT - gives us depth and a starting D-line that blows Lancaster and Lowery out of the water.  3yrs @ 5 mil per year 

Gutey sees the need for nose tackle to give Clark a break and finds a gem that not many ppl are talking about. Andrew Billings comes to GB from Cincy on a 3 year deal worth 4 mil a year. 

Gives a starting d-line of Jerrigan - Clark - Billings with Onyemata rotating in.... with the smith bro’s outside our d-line is in much better shape while not spending huge. Also seeing that he has fixed a huge roster hole Gutey cuts Lowry and admits he was pre mature on the ext. (that was way to big from the jump). This d-line lets us play big up front so Hopefully we can stop the run. This will all make sense in the draft.

One more signing should do it for the Defense....

Danny Trevathon ILB comes in start and give some vet experience next to the future at the position which is coming in the Draft (spoiler alert). Shorter deal as he approaches 30 but 2 years @ 4 mil a year. 

With the extensions that need to be made soon Gutey is done spending money. No WR is worth the money besides Cooper and we just don’t have the cash flow for that. 

THE DRAFT 

ROUND 1

Patrick Queen  ILB LSU

• Our d-line allows us keep this kid clean and make plays. He will be the captain of this defense for 10 years. I am excited to have a freak in the middle finally.

ROUND 2 

Tyler Biadasz C WI

• pushes Patrick but this kid will be a stud for our o-line just a leader and great at the mental part of the game. C’s fall in the draft and we luck out get a future captain.

ROUND 3 

KJ Hill WR OHIO ST. 

• Not the freak athlete but the kid just has it to play. My favorite WR in the draft but falls a little because ppl are looking for freaks. ARod will love this kid and how he run routes and catches everything.

ROUND 4 

Quartney Davis WR Texas A&M

• Gutey is building a hell of a WR core I think. Davis can be special and is showing up at the senior bowl but the depth of this class is pushing him to us and it’s perfect. Adams, Hill, Davis and Lazard is great.

ROUND 5

Noah Igbinoghene CB Auburn

• Can never have enough CB’s I feel. We add depth and talent and maybe if King gets a huge pay day we are covered. 

ROUND 6a

Adam Trautman TE Dayton

• Developmental TE to pair with our young room. I still have hope for Tonyan but I do have a feeling Jace blows up. That little move our the back end zone line in the NFC championship game was nice. But this kid is proving a quality prospect down at the senior bowl.

ROUND 6b 

Shyheim Carter S Alabama 

• Quality DB adds depth

ROUND 7a:

Chris Orr ILB WI

• adds a thump to the middle. Great blitzer but falls to us in a great spot. Great leader on and off the field as well. I think he can stick next to Queen in base packages. 

ROUND 7b 

Jauan Jennings WR Tennessee 

• has the tools needs to put it together but we need to add as much talent to our WR room as possible. 

ROUND 7c

Rodney Smith RB Minnesota

• reminds me of James White. Can hopefully stick very productive year rowing the boat. 

Edited by OnWisconsin-JRS
  • Like 1

Cutting Linsley should be like a "hey Chris Jones is going to agree to this contract we offered and we need a little more space" type thing. Not a "hey let's get more space for Timmy Jernigan" move.

Aaron Jones doesn't need an extension, that's a waste of cap.

Just don't love the draft either. Really wouldn't be a fan of having to use a high pick on a center because we cut our perfectly good center.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Cutting Linsley should be like a "hey Chris Jones is going to agree to this contract we offered and we need a little more space" type thing. Not a "hey let's get more space for Timmy Jernigan" move.

Aaron Jones doesn't need an extension, that's a waste of cap.

Just don't love the draft either. Really wouldn't be a fan of having to use a high pick on a center because we cut our perfectly good center.

How do we not want to extend Jones? Him and Adams are our offense. I want to keep Jones more then anything. He is a free agent next year just like Clark. I work on both right now. Jones is the type of player we need, selfless and team first guy. If we let him walk that will be a hole we can’t plug for awhile 

Question....

Contract/Salary-wise, whats the current high water mark for a RT?

Relative to that, is 10M per a realistic average for Bulaga (?) or just our assigned value / where we wont go higher?

In other words - is 10M per realistic?

Edited by Leader

10 minutes ago, OnWisconsin-JRS said:

How do we not want to extend Jones? Him and Adams are our offense. I want to keep Jones more then anything. He is a free agent next year just like Clark. I work on both right now. Jones is the type of player we need, selfless and team first guy. If we let him walk that will be a hole we can’t plug for awhile 

Long term extensions for RBs are a foolish decision. Zeke, McCaffrey, Gurley, David Johnson, Leveon, etc... How did they do in the playoffs this year? We can find another Aaron Jones. Franchise tag him next year if you must to get another year out of him and then get the comp pick.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Question....

Contract/Salary-wise, whats the current high water mark for a RT?

Relative to that, is 10M per a realistic average for Bulaga (?) or just our assigned value / where we wont go higher?

In other words - is 10M per realistic?

15 is probably best tackle in the league territory for a RT. Bulaga is probably worth 12. Does he give us a discount? Maybe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

15 is probably best tackle in the league territory for a RT. Bulaga is probably worth 12. Does he give us a discount? Maybe.

Okay. Thanks. Gives me a benchmark range to apply to the discussions and news ("Thumbs up" emoticon placed here).

56 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Long term extensions for RBs are a foolish decision. Zeke, McCaffrey, Gurley, David Johnson, Leveon, etc... How did they do in the playoffs this year? We can find another Aaron Jones. Franchise tag him next year if you must to get another year out of him and then get the comp pick.

I would hardly say McCaffrey and Zeke were the reason there teams didn’t make the playoffs. Gurley and Johnson and bell were all stupid for either health reasons or in the case of bell he is a me first guy but Jones has none of that. He is a great runner and weapon in the pass catching game. 

great backs do not grow on trees and Jones fits our scheme perfect. And say what you want about wearing the G everywhere you go but he does it perfectly. He is a must and in my eyes the cornerstone of our team with Adams on offense 

We have a top 7ish Center on a top 15 contract.

We are cutting this player because we feel we are spending too many resources at the Center position. We then follow this up by drafting a Center in the second round. 

We then take this money that we saved and use it to change our defensive line from "Kenny Clark and a bunch of dudes who were drafted as Packers" to "Kenny Clark and a bunch of dudes who were drafted by other teams?" 

Jernigan isn't a needle mover.

Billings isn't a needle mover, is too short to be a fit, doesn't offer any pass rush, and has degenerative knees.

Onyemata is fine, but he's not fixing this group.

Trevathan is 30, coming off a bad year before he got hurt and has worse coverage metrics than Martinez.

We then take a 1st round ILB with the DL not fixed in front of him.

This team isn't even better. You just moved bodies around.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OnWisconsin-JRS said:

Cuts:

Jimmy Graham 

Lane Taylor 

Corey Linsley 

• All these cuts are designed to create cap space to maximize Arods last feel years and bring in outside talent we need 

We have about 50 mil to play with (roughly 45 because we gotta pay the rookies)

Why cut linsley?  He is a solid player.  Draft his potential replacement. 

Pack FA

Biggest ONE

Brian Bulaga - we keep out RT for 3 more years at 30 mil

ON TO THE OTHERS:

Jared Veldheer - great swing tackle and come cheap 1 yr/3.5 mil 

Tyler Ervin - our return game needs him 1yr/1mil

Mason Crosby - 4 years 3.5 mil keeps him in the G

M. Lewis - wants one more year to get a ring and loves it here 1 yr / 2.5 mil

Tramon - same as Lewis wants on more great locker room glue guy 1 yr/4mil

SOME NOTABLE ERFA 

Sullivan, Redmond, Lazard, Lancaster, Tonyan and Kumerow 

ADD THAT UP AND WE HAVE 25 mil going out and about 20 mil to play with.

Might be light on a bulaga re-signing.

Rest are fine. 

EXTENSIONS 

KENNY CLARK - need to pay the man... won’t kick in this year for money purposes but he will be a top 6 DT GUY going to get 14 mil a year for 5 maybe more.

AARON JONES - this needs to get done as well.... no clue on money but I would guess 13 mil

No need to extend Jones at that price. Let him play out the rookie and franchise tag him in 2021 if a long term deal can't be reached.

Clark extension is fine.  

We also have some big 2021 free agents that will need new deals coming up. Off the top of my head Bahk, King lead the race 

Keeping some of that 20 mil for him and Clark so I won’t spend it all. Plus we will have Lewis, Tramon, Ervin and Veldheer coming off next year to have money for these guys. Plus I have a feeling Lowry is not seeing his whole contract just need to get passed the dead money. So we can afford both of these cornerstones. 

OUTSIDE FREE AGENTS

• Everyone wants us to sign AJ Green and I can see us kicking the tires on it.... but he hasn’t played in a year and the risk isn’t worth it so we try to fill some holes in other areas.

Timmy Jerrigan DT - plays along side Clark to gives us another guy to stop the run. Had a 1 year 2 mil deal last year in Philly. So I think we can get him for 2 years @ 3 mil per yr

David Onyemata DT - gives us depth and a starting D-line that blows Lancaster and Lowery out of the water.  3yrs @ 5 mil per year 

Gutey sees the need for nose tackle to give Clark a break and finds a gem that not many ppl are talking about. Andrew Billings comes to GB from Cincy on a 3 year deal worth 4 mil a year. 

So 3 contracts for players supposedly better than Lowry,  but getting paid less than Lowry's deal?  

Gives a starting d-line of Jerrigan - Clark - Billings with Onyemata rotating in.... with the smith bro’s outside our d-line is in much better shape while not spending huge. Also seeing that he has fixed a huge roster hole Gutey cuts Lowry and admits he was pre mature on the ext. (that was way to big from the jump). This d-line lets us play big up front so Hopefully we can stop the run. This will all make sense in the draft.

One more signing should do it for the Defense....

Danny Trevathon ILB comes in start and give some vet experience next to the future at the position which is coming in the Draft (spoiler alert). Shorter deal as he approaches 30 but 2 years @ 4 mil a year. 

With the extensions that need to be made soon Gutey is done spending money. No WR is worth the money besides Cooper and we just don’t have the cash flow for that. 

THE DRAFT 

ROUND 1

Patrick Queen  ILB LSU

• Our d-line allows us keep this kid clean and make plays. He will be the captain of this defense for 10 years. I am excited to have a freak in the middle finally.

ROUND 2 

Tyler Biadasz C WI

• pushes Patrick but this kid will be a stud for our o-line just a leader and great at the mental part of the game. C’s fall in the draft and we luck out get a future captain.

ROUND 3 

KJ Hill WR OHIO ST. 

• Not the freak athlete but the kid just has it to play. My favorite WR in the draft but falls a little because ppl are looking for freaks. ARod will love this kid and how he run routes and catches everything.

ROUND 4 

Quartney Davis WR Texas A&M

• Gutey is building a hell of a WR core I think. Davis can be special and is showing up at the senior bowl but the depth of this class is pushing him to us and it’s perfect. Adams, Hill, Davis and Lazard is great.

ROUND 5

Noah Igbinoghene CB Auburn

• Can never have enough CB’s I feel. We add depth and talent and maybe if King gets a huge pay day we are covered. 

ROUND 6a

Adam Trautman TE Dayton

• Developmental TE to pair with our young room. I still have hope for Tonyan but I do have a feeling Jace blows up. That little move our the back end zone line in the NFC championship game was nice. But this kid is proving a quality prospect down at the senior bowl.

ROUND 6b 

Shyheim Carter S Alabama 

• Quality DB adds depth

ROUND 7a:

Chris Orr ILB WI

• adds a thump to the middle. Great blitzer but falls to us in a great spot. Great leader on and off the field as well. I think he can stick next to Queen in base packages. 

ROUND 7b 

Jauan Jennings WR Tennessee 

• has the tools needs to put it together but we need to add as much talent to our WR room as possible. 

ROUND 7c

Rodney Smith RB Minnesota

• reminds me of James White. Can hopefully stick very productive year rowing the boat. 

Decent draft.  

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Lane Johnson is at 18M per year. Best RT money with the cap increase is probably close to 20M per year.

Edited by VonKarman

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We have a top 7ish Center on a top 15 contract.

We are cutting this player because we feel we are spending too many resources at the Center position. We then follow this up by drafting a Center in the second round. 

We then take this money that we saved and use it to change our defensive line from "Kenny Clark and a bunch of dudes who were drafted as Packers" to "Kenny Clark and a bunch of dudes who were drafted by other teams?" 

Jernigan isn't a needle mover.

Billings isn't a needle mover, is too short to be a fit, doesn't offer any pass rush, and has degenerative knees.

Onyemata is fine, but he's not fixing this group.

Trevathan is 30, coming off a bad year before he got hurt and has worse coverage metrics than Martinez.

We then take a 1st round ILB with the DL not fixed in front of him.

This team isn't even better. You just moved bodies around.

How you don’t think a Dline of Clark, jerrigan, Billings and David O is not better then Clark Lancaster and lowry is beyond me 

39 minutes ago, OnWisconsin-JRS said:

How you don’t think a Dline of Clark, jerrigan, Billings and David O is not better then Clark Lancaster and lowry is beyond me 

Billings couldn't see the field for the worst team in the league. He's camp fodder. Lowry and Lancaster are better. Adams and Keke would have a good shot of beating him out. Not sure why you sought him out in a mock.

Jernigan is a hair better than Lowry. League average DL Is say.

Onyemata started for the first time in his contract year. He played pretty well, still not sure he's that far above average.

Is it better? A bit. Is it anything to brag about? No. Probably a league average DL.