Ravens Rundown: Week 2 2017

drd23

The Good

1: The defense gives up some drives, but find ways to capitalize on errors and create turnovers

2: The offense is somewhat balanced enough to give the defense a chance to play the way they want

3: We get "easier" wins than we usually do, so players should still be fresh

The Bad:

1: Injuries keep decimating us, and that could be killer very soon

2: The deep to intermediate passing game is almost non-existent

3: We have basically 1 receiver after 2 games (Maclin), which is not nearly enough to make me comfortable

3 Ups:

1) Red Zone Defense was excellent. The defense all together played very well, with exception of some soft spots in the zone that the browns seemed to find often,

2) Flacco- Played much sharper this week then last which was to be expected. All the throws were on target, with exception to the INT which was more on wallace.

3) The running game- All 3 rbs seemed to find space and played well I thought. Im all for running back by committee. 

2 Downs

1) Injuries: Losing Yanda for the year sucks.. big time. B will going down sucks too, but hopefully its not anything serious.

2) WR's: especially perriman. They all sucked with the exception of Maclin. 

3) Tucker missing that 50 yd fg.. (kidding but i coudnt think of a 3rd)

Didn't get to see the game, so the credibility of mine is questionable, but from a Twitter/boxscore "scout" perspective...:

This Was Good

1. The defense. Again. 10 turnovers in two games is pretty nice. Luck certainly plays a part, but capitalizing on the luck is what separates good defenses from decent ones. This was something the defense has been missing the past few years. Looks like getting faster and/or younger at spots has helped.

2. Javorius Allen. Hey now. Doesn't look like he was particularly effective outside of one run, but getting a decent amount of carries and scoring on a reception is pretty good. I think Buck is fairly solid if you accept what he is. Decent yardage totals on the ground the first two weeks is a plus.

3. Tyus Bowser. A sack and an interception? Yes please. Those kind of games shouldn't surprise with his skillset, but it's good to see him getting those kinds of game so early in his career. He's one of my favorites in terms of upside on the team. Actually he's probably the favorite in that regard. So much potential, especially with the way offenses play.

This Was Not So Good

1. Injuries. Yanda being out for the year is the worst thing to happen to the Ravens since the new season officially began back in March. Maxx might be out for a while too which would be awful and another blow to his development. Bleh.

2. Turnovers. Flacco threw an interception for his eighth straight game. No matter how you spin it that's bad. This particular play it sounded like there was a communication mishap, but some of that falls on Joe anyways. Collins fumbled too. I hate fumbles by running backs. Those are worse than interceptions in my mind. Well, most of the time at least. Flacco throws some pretty bad ones. :D

3. Receivers. Looks like nobody besides Maclin has shown up so far. Although with the offensive line in the shape it is we absolutely never want the Ravens to be in a position to have to rely on the passing game/blocking for the passing game. So if Baltimore is lucky enough the numbers for the wide receivers won't be impressive yet they will still be winning. I don't feel too good about putting any eggs in that basket though. 

22 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Didn't get to see the game, so the credibility of mine is questionable, but from a Twitter/boxscore "scout" perspective...:

This Was Good

1. The defense. Again. 10 turnovers in two games is pretty nice. Luck certainly plays a part, but capitalizing on the luck is what separates good defenses from decent ones. This was something the defense has been missing the past few years. Looks like getting faster and/or younger at spots has helped.

2. Javorius Allen. Hey now. Doesn't look like he was particularly effective outside of one run, but getting a decent amount of carries and scoring on a reception is pretty good. I think Buck is fairly solid if you accept what he is. Decent yardage totals on the ground the first two weeks is a plus.

3. Tyus Bowser. A sack and an interception? Yes please. Those kind of games shouldn't surprise with his skillset, but it's good to see him getting those kinds of game so early in his career. He's one of my favorites in terms of upside on the team. Actually he's probably the favorite in that regard. So much potential, especially with the way offenses play.

This Was Not So Good

1. Injuries. Yanda being out for the year is the worst thing to happen to the Ravens since the new season officially began back in March. Maxx might be out for a while too which would be awful and another blow to his development. Bleh.

2. Turnovers. Flacco threw an interception for his eighth straight game. No matter how you spin it that's bad. This particular play it sounded like there was a communication mishap, but some of that falls on Joe anyways. Collins fumbled too. I hate fumbles by running backs. Those are worse than interceptions in my mind. Well, most of the time at least. Flacco throws some pretty bad ones. :D

3. Receivers. Looks like nobody besides Maclin has shown up so far. Although with the offensive line in the shape it is we absolutely never want the Ravens to be in a position to have to rely on the passing game/blocking for the passing game. So if Baltimore is lucky enough the numbers for the wide receivers won't be impressive yet they will still be winning. I don't feel too good about putting any eggs in that basket though. 

It's not really a matter of spin on the Flacco pick.  It looked like Wallace had single coverage on the outside and should have gone deep on the option route.  Flacco threw the ball and the defender was able to make an uncontested pick on what should have been a 50/50 deep ball.  Still not good, but it's not quite a head-scratcher by any stretch.  Probably more his fault than the West one last week, though.  He looked sharp overall.

T-Sizzle deserves some love for today's game.  Strip sack and could have had a few more sacks today.  I wasn't as happy with the rush today as I was last week, but Cleveland's line looked better than Cinci's (not that tough to do).  Obviously Thomas is head and shoulders above anyone the Bengals have.  That said, they seemed to get away with quite a few blatant holds.  Not sure if the refs just sort of let a lot of it go because it's the Browns.  For example, on the Bowser INT, Moseley was completely bear-hugged in the backfield as the QB ran across his face.  A lot of other hooking on Suggs and Judon throughout the game.

The Good

1. Defensive take-aways - The defense as a whole played well, but to have forced 10 turn overs in 2 games is amazing, and contributes significantly towards the team winning
  2. The RBs - They looked good today, especially Collins and Allen.  Collins already looks like our best runner, and Allen combined a big run with a nice performance in the passing game
  3. Flacco - This might just be because I had low expectations coming into the season, but I think he played well overall.  As Danand mentioned, I'd like to see a fair bit more intermediate passing though.

The Not So Good

1. Yanda's season ending injury - Speaks for itself
  2. WRs - their lack involvement in the game is concerning
  3. Zone Defense - their receivers were too easily able to find holes in our zone defense for big gains

I think the wide receiver thing will get better. They need time with Joe, and will get there. I was actually the most skeptical of Maclin producing before the season.

The interior line was already patchwork, so as much as it sucks to lose a player as good as Yanda, it's not like we a destroying a great thing. Flacco is more dependent on protection on the edges. Stanley NEEDS to stay healthy.

Love:

2:0 divisional record. If we manage to split with the Steelers 5:1 looks reasonable and would certainly improve chances for some playoff shenanigans.

Recent drafts seem very successful, many young guys contributing. Tim Williams gave Thomas fits several times. Humphrey had decent coverage late game. Too bad Tavon Young is injured. 

Offensive playcalling. Nobody expected much from the unit, they look much better then i hoped for. Flacco on his roll-outs looked good to me.

Penalties. Only 45 yds? Yay. 

Archived