First Mock Offseason

e16bball

17 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think Hooper is going to cost a lot more, but this is a possible destination.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I think Hooper is also going to get PAIIIIID.

That would be the largest contract ever given to a TE, basically $49M over 5 years. It would be just shy of the record for AAV, as far as I can tell, which is $10M (Jimmy Graham, for 3 years) — but that’s still a pretty mega-contract for a guy who is not really even knocking on the door of the elite tier at the position (Kelce, Kittle, Ertz). 

Maybe he’s the guy that completely resets the TE market; it’s possible I guess. TEs are becoming more critical in the way offenses are designed, that much is true. But I really don’t see it going much above what I’ve laid out there. I think Kittle’s extension will be the one that truly resets the market. 

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

That would be the largest contract ever given to a TE, basically $49M over 5 years. It would be just shy of the record for AAV, as far as I can tell, which is $10M (Jimmy Graham, for 3 years) — but that’s still a pretty mega-contract for a guy who is not really even knocking on the door of the elite tier at the position (Kelce, Kittle, Ertz). 

Maybe he’s the guy that completely resets the TE market; it’s possible I guess. TEs are becoming more critical in the way offenses are designed, that much is true. But I really don’t see it going much above what I’ve laid out there. I think Kittle’s extension will be the one that truly resets the market. 

To me, there are big needs out there for TEs. It's why I also think Eifert and Henry should still do well despite their injury histories. Might be 1 year deals too to set themselves up to get paid, but I could see it. 

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

To me, there are big needs out there for TEs. It's why I also think Eifert and Henry should still do well despite their injury histories. Might be 1 year deals too to set themselves up to get paid, but I could see it. 

I actually think Henry is better than Hooper, just not nearly as reliable from a health standpoint.

We’ve had so much trouble with injuries at that position, I just don’t think we can afford to jump in real heavily on a TE who’s never played a full season in 4 years as a pro (including an entirely missed 2018 season). The one thing you’re looking for out of that position is reliability and consistency — and while Henry possesses those traits when he’s on the field, you just can’t trust him to be out there week in and week out.

That’s why I’d spring for Hooper, he’s just more of a sure thing. But I’ll admit, if Hooper didn’t hit the market and I could get Henry on something like 3/$20-24M — I’d really have to think long and hard about it. Anything beyond that is too rich a play on such a risky gamble, in my opinion at least. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

I actually think Henry is better than Hooper, just not nearly as reliable from a health standpoint.

It's honestly why I want to go after Henry more than Hooper. I think he will be cheaper and I'm willing to take the risk.

• Like 1