Aaron Jones contract: What do you do?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Plans for Aaron Jones?

• EXTEND HIM NOW!
    • Make a good long term offer in season
    • Franchise tag 2021
    • Leaves in FA after this season

35 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

To me? I let him walk and take that comp pick all the way to the bank. I have no interest in paying him Zeke / Gurley / DJ type of money. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/running-back/

But where do you draw the line in terms of value? Once you get below the top tier, you're looking at $7-8M a year, which seems really fair for a guy who was a 1000 yard rusher and our WR2.

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

To me? I let him walk and take that comp pick all the way to the bank. I have no interest in paying him Zeke / Gurley / DJ type of money. 

Pay the guy, he deserves it. Why take a comp pick, which isn't guaranteed over a guy who proved himself this year at not only RB but at WR. Especially when GB has had like 2 decent RBs in the past 15 years.

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why does he deserve it?

lol is that really a question?

AJ was the only consistent threat for GB's offense all year, you take him away and some of those 1 score wins possibly becomes losses. He became the number 2 receiver when none of the actual receivers wanted to step up. He may be a product of Lafleur's system, but we know he works in the system and works well. People say RBs are replaceable but GB hasn't had a consistent threat at RB in like 10-15 years. Are we really going to take another chance of letting him walk, bring in some unproven draft pick or some undrafted RB that has been cut by 4 different teams and continue to be mediocre at the RB position?

16 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

lol is that really a question?

AJ was the only consistent threat for GB's offense all year, you take him away and some of those 1 score wins possibly becomes losses. He became the number 2 receiver when none of the actual receivers wanted to step up. He may be a product of Lafleur's system, but we know he works in the system and works well. People say RBs are replaceable but GB hasn't had a consistent threat at RB in like 10-15 years. Are we really going to take another chance of letting him walk, bring in some unproven draft pick or some undrafted RB that has been cut by 4 different teams and continue to be mediocre at the RB position?

He wasn't a consistent threat. He had 10 games with fewer than 60 yards rushing. He ended up as a league average receiver at the running back position 

The fact that GB managed to have elite offenses all those years with mediocre backs should tell you the story. 

The Superbowl teams should tell you the story. Get a young guy cheap and then a proven mid level guy at 4ish per year. You don't go out and spend 10.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Do you think another team will offer him that kind of coin?   I really don't so.  I think we'll resign him but it won't break the bank.

The big problem with paying RBs has more to do with the fact they physically don't hold up for good value on that second contract, combined with the fact that the production is usually replaceable cheaper and easier than any other position.

Aaron Jones production has as much if not more to do with the team around him than his own individual talent. He is making the most of what he's given and yes that's a good thing but is it worth 10+/year? (That number is probably low) I'd be plenty ok burning a few 3rd or later picks this year and next on RB instead.

Edited by spilltray
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He wasn't a consistent threat. He had 10 games with fewer than 60 yards rushing. He ended up as a league average receiver at the running back position 

The fact that GB managed to have elite offenses all those years with mediocre backs should tell you the story. 

The Superbowl teams should tell you the story. Get a young guy cheap and then a proven mid level guy at 4ish per year. You don't go out and spend 10.

ok and in all those games he had 13 carries or less. They had elite offenses all those years but didn't matter come the playoffs because they lost because everyone knew they couldn't run. They'd just tee of on Rodgers and the o-line all game. That with a combination of garbage defense.

And that's why Rodgers has only won 1 SB his entire time in GB and probably will retire at one. GB brings in cheap guys that have "high ceilings" or "lots of potential"  on both sides of the ball and end up doing nothing. Lets just keep drafting and developing while Rodgers career further gets wasted away. GB's front office is cheap and afraid to spend. Well they used to be, we'll see how this off season goes. (that wasn't directed at the RB position but more towards the whole team in general)

12 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

ok and in all those games he had 13 carries or less. They had elite offenses all those years but didn't matter come the playoffs because they lost because everyone knew they couldn't run. They'd just tee of on Rodgers and the o-line all game. That with a combination of garbage defense.

And that's why Rodgers has only won 1 SB his entire time in GB and probably will retire at one. GB brings in cheap guys that have "high ceilings" or "lots of potential"  on both sides of the ball and end up doing nothing. Lets just keep drafting and developing while Rodgers career further gets wasted away. GB's front office is cheap and afraid to spend. Well they used to be, we'll see how this off season goes. (that wasn't directed at the RB position but more towards the whole team in general)

Draft and develop means paying your own guys instead of bringing in outside FA. 

16 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

This doesn't strengthen your stance. 

Aaron deserves to be paid, and I love the guy as a Packer, but I hope he gets paid a ton somewhere else. We have a great RB draft coming up, and there's always guys in the 2-4th round that contribute. 

It can be a culture decision though. You don't want to let a lot of your homegrown guys leave when you have the cap space to give them a 2nd deal

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

The alternative option isn't to sit on the money. The alternative option is to spend money on more impactful positions. When did the Packers lose a playoff game due to not having a good running back?

• Like 1