Post Senior Bowl Mock

rampantjet

Cuts:

Tru- only saves 3 mill, but still worth it

Avery Williamson-  Seems like a great guy, and is a good player, but we just don't need another run thumping ILBer for big money saves 6.5 mill

Quincy- saves 2.4 mill, just can't stay healthy

Brian Winters-  It's about damn time.  Saves 7.2 mill 

Roberts-  Just a useless player with 0 dead money saves 6 mill

Bellemy-  The signing made 0 sense saves 2.25 mill

Harrison-  Not even really a worthy back up, we can find someone else as a back up for less money, saves 2.25 mill

Blake Countess- Saves 1.2 mill

Resignings:

Robby-  Still torn on this one, but i can't justify taking weapons away from Sam.  We give him 12 mill per

Neville Hewitt- had some really good moments for us this year.  Next to CJ where he will be asked to do less i think we can get credible play out of a combo of him and hopefully Blake Cashman. 2.5 mill 

Maurice Canady-  I was pleasantly surprised with how he played.  He was solid out there and that is what we need at CB, really anyone that can be functional  2 mill per

Brian Poole- Goes without saying, he played real well.  We give him 10 mill per.... that might be a bit high, just playing it safe here.

Kelvin Beachum-  We can't throw Sam to the wolves, Beach isn't an all pro but he is at least someone we can count on.  10 mill 

Alex Lewis-  We bring him back cheap in hopes that he ends up being a solid back up as opposed to a weak starter 3 mill

Free Agency:

Dante Fowler Jr EDGE-  I am not a massive fan of this signing, but it is someone that we can potentially take a chance on who has a chance if he continues developing to give us top end play for just below top end money we pay him 14 per

Joe Thuney OG- We need to sure up the middle of our line so that Sam can consistently have a pocket to step up into, and so we actually have a running game.  We give him 11 mill per

Graham Glasgow OG- This continues our rebuild of the interior of our line.  He can play OG or C so our draft will determine where these guys play, this also does give us more versatility on our line.  10 mill per

Ronald Darby CB- Not a star but he is a functional CB in the NFL and he is still fairly young.  We give him 7 mill per

After all of this we are sitting at around 11 mill in cap space and there are certainly some bottom of the roster guys that will probably also be cut as a result saving us more.

*TRADE*  Jets trade Leveon Bell to the KC Chiefs for their 4th rounder, we eat a few mill extra off of his salary next year to get the deal done, we end up saving around 7 mill in space.

Before pick 11 the players off the board are Burrow, Young, Okuda, Simmons, Tua, Herbert, Wills, Thomas, Brown, Becton, then us.....

*TRADE* Jets start getting offers at 11 from TB and Indy looking to move up for Jordan Love.  QB is king in this league and TB is tempted by a big arm, but we have a good relationship with Indy.  We move back to 13 and we pick up Indy's 3rd rounder #75.  

Vegas takes Jeudy 

*TRADE*  Jets trade back again with another team that we have ties with.  Philly moves up to take the dropping Ceedee Lamb.  We get pick #21, #53, and their 5th #148

#21 Jets:  Josh Jones OT-  Guy had a really good week at the senior bowl.  Some people complain about his technique at times, but he seems to get the results.  He was PFF's top rated OT in college last year.  Give me a guy that can get it done with so so technique and let NFL coaches polish him up.

#48 Jets:  Brandon Aiyuk WR-   Kid can move, and can get us some YAC too.  Pair him up with Robby on the outside and we have some serious speed out there for teams to worry about. 

#53 Jets:  Cesar Ruiz OC-  Top recruit coming out of school, and has been a real riser on the boards of late.  I think he can hold down the C of our line, and we gave him 2 experienced guys to surround him to take some stuff off of his plate.  Our OL rebuild is complete

#68 Jets:  Bradlee Anae EDGE-   Guy had a really good week and Senior Bowl game.  I don't think he is going to tear up the combine which is why he is still here in the early 3rd, but the guy wins with his hands.  He kind of seems like a less gifted Bosa brother.  

#75 Jets:  Cameron Dantzler CB-  Long CB coming in at 6'2 that we can throw into our DB room and hope he develops.  

#79 Jets:  Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB-   I just can't stop myself from drafting this kid.  I love low to the ground shifty hard to tackle RB's.  He can do it all as far as I am concerned.  

#110 Jets:  Collin Johnson WR-  We need to give Sam more big targets out there.  This kid is a shade under 6'6 and moves really well for a guy his size.  Seems to know how to use his large frame when running routes.  

#127 Jets:  Jeremy Chinn S-  Tall versatile safety.  I know we have 2 good safeties but teams run much more 3 S looks these days, and it isn't a bad thing having some depth.

#140  Jets:  Lamical Perine RB-  Can't have enough fresh legs in the backfield.  I love the way this kid runs.  Tough as nails

#190  Jets:  Anthony Gordon QB-  Athletic QB who needs tons of polish, but luckily he won't be starting any time soon.  Might be a nice guy to groom as a long term back up 

• Like 1

I get the concept of each trade down, but I'd be incredibly disappointed if we traded out of both lamb and jeudy, especially after having nabbed Thuney and Glasgow in FA. Extra 2nd/3rd round picks are nice, but we are talking true stud players that would be steals around 10

You give up prizes players for second and third round players. I don't like it because we do so poorly in the second and third rounds. I know we have a new GM but every GM we have has missed on second and third round picks. I would like for us to stay at 11 unless we get a great offer like slide down 8-10 spots for a next years 1st round pick. 

11 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

We need so much depth and youth that I think we need to trade back even more often than I have us doing here. 

Yes. But its just not very realistic to trade back twice in Round 1 to grab an extra 2nd, 3rd and 5th.

Its just not doable to fix everything in 1 offseason.

I think one of the reasons i was ok trading back and passing on Jeudy and Lamb is that I don't think there is a massive difference between them and guys like Aiyuk,  I do think Lamb and Jeudy are the top 2, but the reason this WR draft is viewed so favorably has more to do with the depth than it has to do with the talent at the top end of the draft.  I think Lamb and Jeudy are both top notch prospects but they aren't historic prospects.  

Would love the double trade back if possible and love FA and the draft. I mean it’s optimistic but certainly possible. Having someone like Douglas pulling the strings does give me confidence this offseason will be a success but we’ve been burnt so many times before so only time will tell!  

Edited by xenajets

5 hours ago, xenajets said:

Would love the double trade back if possible and love FA and the draft. I mean it’s optimistic but certainly possible. Having someone like Douglas pulling the strings does give me confidence this offseason will be a success but we’ve been burnt so many times before so only time will tell!  

I feel like things like this are so much more possible now.  Macc really had no real relationships in the league, and it was reported that teams got sick of him calling to talk trade because they knew he would never pull the trigger.  It also seemed like the only reason we got the trade up with the Colts done was because Rex Hogan was brought in and he had relationships with the Colts.  

JD on the other hand seems like everyone loves him around the league.  I saw reports that people were even commenting on how much they liked him at the senior bowl.  80% of making moves is having the relationships.  We now have someone who has them.

2 hours ago, rampantjet said:

I feel like things like this are so much more possible now.  Macc really had no real relationships in the league, and it was reported that teams got sick of him calling to talk trade because they knew he would never pull the trigger.  It also seemed like the only reason we got the trade up with the Colts done was because Rex Hogan was brought in and he had relationships with the Colts.  

JD on the other hand seems like everyone loves him around the league.  I saw reports that people were even commenting on how much they liked him at the senior bowl.  80% of making moves is having the relationships.  We now have someone who has them.

Yeah I think the relationship angle is very important. It’s about ‘who you know’ not ‘what you know’. Fingers crossed for better things ahead.