Kobe Bryant has died in helicopter crash

pwny

19 hours ago, showtime said:

I think it's been confirmed that his wife and daughters were not on board.

His 13 year old daughter was.  My heart breaks for that family.  Can you imagine losing both your husband and a daughter like this?  :(

• Like 1

Feel like these past 24 hours have just been a bad dream. Kobe was my childhood, and the same probably goes for a lot of guys on this board. We watched him grow up, as we were growing up.  I don't know that I'll ever feel the same way about an athlete the way I do about guys like Kobe - and I wasn't really even a Laker or Kobe stan. He was just that big a deal, and sports are just different now for me, which is just part of growing up. Kobe can't be dead, because Kobe wasn't human, he always felt like something bigger... I dunno. This hits hard. Especially thinking about Gigi going with him. Before yesterday I don't know that I could have even known I would catch these kind of feelings over Kobe Bryant but it feels like something big has been taken from my life. Utterly devastated. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Feel like these past 24 hours have just been a bad dream. Kobe was my childhood, and the same probably goes for a lot of guys on this board. We watched him grow up, as we were growing up.  I don't know that I'll ever feel the same way about an athlete the way I do about guys like Kobe - and I wasn't really even a Laker or Kobe stan. He was just that big a deal, and sports are just different now for me, which is just part of growing up. Kobe can't be dead, because Kobe wasn't human, he always felt like something bigger... I dunno. This hits hard. Especially thinking about Gigi going with him. Before yesterday I don't know that I could have even known I would catch these kind of feelings over Kobe Bryant but it feels like something big has been taken from my life. Utterly devastated. 

This video is how I feel about Kobe Bean Bryant:

I'm just devastated right now. When I got the "Kobe died" text yesterday I told myself huh, thats a weird and stupid way to start a conversation about LeBron passing him on the all time scoring list. Then I did the googling and eventually realized it was real. What a ****ty way to start off the week leading into my favorite team being in the super bowl.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, the lone star said:

Would the NBA though? Changing their logo is more drastic than creating a new trophy. 

Not saying I'm against the idea, it would depend on how the logo looks, but I think a trophy is an easier thing to implement for sure.

Why not change the logo for the rest of the season, then change it back?

49 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I was a Junior in HS when Kobe declared for the NBA draft out of HS - that wasn't a foreign concept, Kevin Garnett breached that frontier a few years before (maybe a year before, if memory serves me correctly). So, he was getting his start as the face of the Lakers right around the time I was a freshman in college. 

I haven't followed basketball in at least a decade (I'm not a James Harden fan) but this hit VERY hard with me. I couldn't believe it when I got the text in my fantasy football group chat - I tried to pull up information on it, but nothing pulled up - then, EVERYTHING pulled up. It was as real as it gets then.

I'm still in a state of shock.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I don't blame TMZ. It's their job to report news and there's benefits, especially for those reporters, to break this kind of story.

Blame their sources. They're the ones who have no conscience and leak info for a few bucks.

Their sources include publicly available info as well as their network of contacts who share inside info.
They start with scanners to monitor the emergency airwaves and then include websites like FlightAware that show every flight by tail number

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KBUR

This flight path was in some of the most congested airspace in the world, with airports at LAX, John Wayne, Van Nuys, Burbank in addition to all the private flights, military flights and helicopter training schools. Over 2.2 million flights / year pass through, which is over 6000 flights per day

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/air_traffic_services/tracon/sct/

The SoCal Tracon has a ton of aircraft to juggle and they typically keep the choppers in a lower flight envelope to avoid all of the other airplane traffic. However, they start to lose radar contact at the lower elevations because of all the hills in this area and the pilot was facing really thick fog and very limited visibility.

For those old enough to remember the TV Show "MASH" , those episodes were filmed nearby where the fateful crash occurred

340?cb=20150731110338

I was mentioning this to my friends early, but I think his death could have two DRASTIC impacts on two different people: 1. Kyrie Irving. 2. Devin Booker.

• Kyrie was said to of heard about his death pregame at MSG yesterday and left the building during warmups. Did not return. I could see him potentially never playing again cause of this. He has been vocal about his existential beliefs recently and this could really send him off the deep end. Kobe was his idol and mentor.
  • Devin Booker was visibly choked up yesterday. Always idolized Kobe, plays same position, wears Kobe's every game, plays the game the same way. However, I could see this pushing him over the edge to adopting the "Mamba" mentality. Forget the pregame fashion show stuff. He dedicates his life to winning and being like Kobe. 

This is how impactful Kobe Bryant was and will be going forward. Saddest day in sports since Magic announced. 

4 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I don't blame TMZ. It's their job to report news and there's benefits, especially for those reporters, to break this kind of story.

Blame their sources. They're the ones who have no conscience and leak info for a few bucks.

There is also ethics to reporting. Sure their job is to break stories, but you're taught in the cases of deceased individuals that the ethical thing to do is to allow the police to inform the affected families before you break the stories. You can absolutely blame TMZ in a case like this because what they did is totally unethical. They sold out for a buck just like their sources.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Kyrie was said to of heard about his death pregame at MSG yesterday and left the building during warmups. Did not return. I could see him potentially never playing again cause of this. He has been vocal about his existential beliefs recently and this could really send him off the deep end. Kobe was his idol and mentor.

He needs to ask himself, what would Kobe want Kyrie to do? Quit and roll over? Nah. He would want Kyrie to come back and continue playing, and to use this as a stepping stone to becoming a better player, a better person, and a better family man. This is just another obstacle on the road to greatness that needs to be overcome, as a player and a person. 

That's all Kobe ever wanted.