Kobe Bryant has died in helicopter crash

pwny

11 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Idk, I think its possible to feel for the woman involved here and believe she was mistreated by Kobe and his lawyers and the tabloids and also at the same time be open to Kobe becoming a better person and making amends by making a positive difference in the world.  No Kobe living a good life cant fix what happened, but hating Kobe or destroying Kobe’s life wouldn’t do anything to make it better either. 

Look... personally I believe retributive justice is usually wrong headed and basically the polar opposite of the value systems most of us claim to subscribe to that preach forgiveness.  I see an unfortunate trend in society over most of my lifetime where people cant separate increasing empathy and support for victims from blindly following retributive justice and am just personally grateful that people aren’t applying that standard in the case of Kobe, who is one of the better examples of what happens when you give people a second chance.  

Thats personally how I feel about these type of situations and think Kobe is a great example of why, but realize there are others out there who are believers in “an eye for an eye”... that’s just not my style, maybe because I’m a less perfect person than some and recognize I’ve made plenty of mistakes in my life and probably not always treated people 100% the way I should, we are all human, even Kobe who was a super hero was human, with flaws but also the ability to learn from his mistakes, I think we could all learn from that 

I'm not exactly on-board with spitting on his grave and saying "burn in hell rapist." I think at the very least it would do some justice to acknowledge this part of his story. As I said, he didn't face any real consequences and AFAIK never had to come to terms with what happened.

Thanks to everyone involved for this honest discussion.

Edited by redsoxsuck05
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I recognize how much easier it is cognitively to side with the beloved celebrity. We're talking about going out on a limb for an anonymous* accuser and totally re-orienting the way that we think of someone we grew up idolizing. That's why when the dust settles, I think Colorado has to be a part of Kobe's story that everyone remembers. Isn't it enough that he even got a mulligan that most wouldn't get?

It is absolutely a part of his story just like any of our life stories, if lived in the public eye from the time we were teenage children or otherwise told honestly, would have plenty of pretty serious black eyes and missteps and situations where we mistreated people or where we were perceived to have mistreated people 

But if we lived a holistically good life and generally tried to be a good person and if we die young leaving behind a family that loved us and many people who looked up to us, you’d hope those black eyes could be put aside for a little bit and people could show respect for the person who is gone and their loved ones, and its nice to see that is mostly what people are doing 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Kirill said:

I had a job interview last week and compared my work ethic to Kobe Bryant in that interview. I still can't believe he's gone. It just doesn't feel real.

During my interview for the job I am at now, they asked me to choose 3 people, dead or alive, to have dinner with and what you would ask and Kobe was my first choice. I would have asked him what kept him intrinsically motivated to be the best he can be post retirement despite his legacy already being legendary.

Crazy **** man, this will take a while to accept.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amac said:

This always bothers me. A star athlete basically has to kill someone before people finally acknowledge they’re a bad person. Some jock sniffers will always rush to their defense no matter what and point to charity/community work that most of them do for PR.  Not that I’m saying Kobe is guilty of course, but in general star athletes get way more leeway in those situations

It's just society. Certain entertainers, if they're really good at their craft, are essentially seen as holy saints to some people, and they can do no wrong. Or at the very least they get the benefit of the doubt. Some of the remarks on this very forum are a testament to that. People just really need to be careful sometimes, because at the end of the day no matter how much we appreciate someone's ability to entertain, and connect with others through their entertainment, doesn't mean they aren't susceptible to mistakes just like everyone else. Putting people on pedestals is a dangerous precedent, especially if you don't even know that person. 

Related image

Edited by PapaShogun

Usually @mission27 is a pain to read but for once I fully agree and I’m glad to see him articulate a real argument instead of being smug. 

I don’t think Kobe gets a pass and I have never given it to him. It’s definitely part of his legacy but I also think that make him evil. We aren’t all good/bad. His mistake is just much larger than most of ours but I think the good he has done for people is also much more than us. 

I read stories like the one below and I understand that other athletes might have similar ones but to me it shows he was someone who actually seemed to care about people, particular kids, more than I realized. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Petition already over 1 Million signed.

XOARpNi.jpg

Gonna say no on this one with everyone riding high on emotion.

As great as Kobe was, IF they ever changed the logo it ought to be changed to MJ. However, it should be left alone imo.

This answers my questions of how could the helicopter pilot not realize his altitude......

NBC: The crash that killed Kobe Bryant and eight other people will likely spur the Federal Aviation Administration to begin requiring safety systems that currently are on only some helicopters that ply America's skies, two experts told NBC News.

They weighed in a day after a National Transportation Safety Board member investigating Sunday’s crash said the doomed Sikorsky S-76B chopper was not equipped with a terrain awareness and warning system, known as TAWS, which alerts a pilot when an aircraft gets too close to the ground and that the FAA has resisted requiring for all helicopters.

Helicopter manufacturers and operators won’t be happy because “it costs money to do,” he said.

The FAA only began requiring TAWS for ambulance and other medical helicopters about six years ago because there was public pressure to do something after a spate of deadly crashes.

Jennifer Homendy, a member of the NTSB, told reporters Tuesday that she couldn’t say whether having a TAWS system on board could have prevented Sunday’s crash. “Certainly, TAWS could have helped,” she said.

Kidrick said he’s not certain “a terrain warning system could have prevented this crash.” He noted that the pilot told air traffic controllers in his last radio message that he was climbing to avoid a cloud layer.

Homendy said the helicopter was flying at an altitude of 2,300 feet when it lost contact with air traffic controllers and then plunged into a hillside at a rate of more than 2,000 feet a minute.

Edited by Leader