Doug Pederson running the ball less than Andy Reid is a serious problem...

Phire

8 hours ago, Phire said:

It's not a waste. The problem with abandoning the run is that the defense isn't dumb and realizes that. Once they don't have to watch the run they can just sit back and play pass defense. Once you start trying to pass on a defense fully expecting the pass you're wasting 3-4 downs instead of 1. You must keep running the ball. We did a good job against Kareem Hunt and then he broke that huge run. Imagine if Andy abandoned the run.

I think I can pretty solidly imagine that.........

11 hours ago, Phire said:

What many are arguing is even if the run game sucks you still must run the ball. It's not an excuse to abandon it. And for the record Sproles was running fine. 4.8 yards per carry so we can't even say the run game sucked against the Chiefs. We abandoned it for no apparent reason.

Sproles can't carry a load. No one else can do anything with one. People would be complaining we are running the ball too much with crap players. It's a no win situation. Running the ball ineffectively doesnt make it easier for the passing game. It just wastes downs.

8 hours ago, MemphisEagles said:

Sproles can't carry a load. No one else can do anything with one. People would be complaining we are running the ball too much with crap players. It's a no win situation. Running the ball ineffectively doesnt make it easier for the passing game. It just wastes downs.

You're speaking in generalities instead of specifics. Sproles can't carry a load? What exactly is "a load?" Do his legs stop working after 10 carries or something? Nobody is saying Darren Sproles should have 30 carries a game. And again, the guy was toting the ball for 4.8 yards a carry. How is that ineffective? The problem isn't that we had an ineffective run game, it's that we had more or less an EFFECTIVE run game and we still abandoned it. Check the post @fly eagles fly made, he breaks it down. You don't ever abandon the run, even if the run game sucks, so if you truly believe that, then that's just something we're not going to agree on.

• 3 weeks later...

Doug has really impressed me as this season has gone along. Still needs to open things up and adjust a little more.

But one thing has really stood out to me.

He just looks more confident on the sideline. He looks like he has a command of this job and the locker room. 

That's so important. 

Archived