TCMD Discussion (Welcome Antoine Brooks JR)

ravens5520

Baltimore Ravens 

QB:    Lamar Jackson Trace McSorley  AJ McCarron 
HB:   Mark Ingram    Gus Edwards    Justice Hall 
FB:  Pat Ricard        
WR:    Alshon Jeffrey     Myles Boykin    Jaleel Scott
WR:   Marquise Brown   Tyler Johnson (R)
Slot:    Willie Snead        
TE:   Mark Andrews     Nick Boyle     
LT:  Ronnie Stanley    Will Holden     
LG:  Bradley Bozeman   Daryl Williams 
C:    Matt Skura    Pat Mekari    
RG:  Marshal Yanda    Ben Powers
RT:  Orlando Brown   Jason Spriggs   James Hurst    

DE:  Brandon Williams    Jihad Ward   Nick Coe (R) 
NT:  Michael Pierce    Daylon Mack   
DE:   Gerald McCoy   Jonathan Allen    Ofomba Kamalu    
LOLB:  Matthew Judon    Tyus Bowser    

ILB:    LJ Fort    Chris Board    Otaro Alaka
ILB:   Reggie Ragland   Malik Harrison (R) Jacob Phillips (R)
ROLB    Jaylon Ferguson  Zach Baun (R)
CB:   Marlon Humphrey    Jimmy Smith   Anthony Averett    
CB:   Marcus Peters     Iman Marshall     
Nickel:   Tavon Young         
FS:   Earl Thomas     De'Shon Elliott     
SS:   Chuck Clark    Antoine Brooks JR. (R)

K    Justin Tucker        
P    Sam Koch        
LS    Morgan Cox      

Draft Picks

• 1st  - 26 (traded w/Det) Zach Baun Edge/LB
  • 2nd - 60 = Malik Harrison LB 
  • 3rd - 96 = Tyler Johnson WR Minnesota 
  • 4th - 126 = Antoine Brooks JR Safety Maryland
  • 4th - 131 = Nick Coe IDL / DE Auburn 
  • 4th - 136  = Jacob Phillips ILB LSU 
  • 5th - 145 (traded away)
  • 5th - 148 (via Washington) (traded to DET)
  • 5th - Via Vikings - Traded for Alshon Jeffrey 
  • 5th - (Traded for Marcus Peters) (Ravens)
  • 7th - 226 

Transactions

• Baltimore Traded vikings 5th for Alshon Jeffrey 
  • Baltimore Trades Hayden Hurst to Washington for Jonathan Allen + 148 
  • Sign Reggie Ragland 
  • Sign Daryl Williams
  • Re-Sign Matthew Judon
  • Sign AJ McCarron QB
  • Sign Gerald McCoy DE
  • Re-Sign Jihad Ward 
  • Signed Jason Spriggs OT
  • Re-Signed Jimmy Smith CB 

Cap Room Remaining: $9 mill est

Edited by ravens5520

48 minutes ago, ravens5520 said:

Hit me back and let me know if I’m being too generous with Hurst here, but to me Allen is a huge grab to pair with Andrews, Lamar and Brown

Seems fine to me. I think Hurst is a really good player, but so is Keenan Allen, and if we aren't going to utilize Hurst- what does it matter? From there it's just a matter of how you view Boykin's potential going forward. And I'm guessing everyone has cooled on him considerably. So go with your gut if the opportunity presents itself. Though you might want to just look into getting him for a combo of mid round picks, like we did with Boldin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ravens5520 said:

Let me ask some fellow ravens on a wild idea.

Say we had an opportunity to trade Boykin & Hurst for Keenan Allen. Would we jump on that? Allen replaces Boykin and the grooming process... Hurst is bogged down with the 3 headed monster 

Been dabbling in the GM mocks going on and have control in TCMD of our boys. 
The mock is very in depth with actual IRL cap space associated with it as well. With extensions allowed. As Allen is in his last year of his current deal and comes with a 10 mill cap hit. So the plan would be to deal and extend 

although the back up option is Alshon Jeffrey for our late 5th. He’s a hefty cap hit but allowed for restructure/extension once the deal is completed 

Hit me back and let me know if I’m being too generous with Hurst here, but to me Allen is a huge grab to pair with Andrews, Lamar and Brown

Would do it for sure. Keenan Allen is a known quantity that can get open and has great hands. Paired with Brown as the deep threat and it’s essentially the Oklahoma offense with Allen playing the role of CeeDee Lamb... and Mark Andrews playing the role of Mark Andrews.

• Like 1

I would 100% not do it. Allen is great, but has also had his share of injuries.

The idea of trading Hurst lies solely on the idea we can stay healthy or "just bring in another who can play at the position". If Andrews goes down with season ending injury, we have zero pass catching ability from the tight end position.

If Ricard or Boyle goes down, Hurst is the obvious backup to play the full back position who can also flex out and run routes. It is his second year and we have him for cheap - I really don't see the interest in trading him away. I guess it is because people want to avoid the bust label as he was drafted in the 1. round, but I don't think it is the right thing to do.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Danand said:

The idea of trading Hurst lies solely on the idea we can stay healthy or "just bring in another who can play at the position". If Andrews goes down with season ending injury, we have zero pass catching ability from the tight end position.

If Ricard or Boyle goes down, Hurst is the obvious backup to play the full back position who can also flex out and run routes. It is his second year and we have him for cheap - I really don't see the interest in trading him away. I guess it is because people want to avoid the bust label as he was drafted in the 1. round, but I don't think it is the right thing to do.

It’s his third season now moving forward and it’s unlikely, based off his current production, that we would be likely to pay what might be $7-8m his 5th year would command (after Kittle, Kelce, and Mark Andrews raise their TE contract market). Especially considering we will have to pay Lamar, that year and will likely have had to extend both Zeus Jr and Andrews the year prior.

So in reality unless something crazy happens, Hurst has two years left (realistically) vs three years. Keenan Allen is a top quality option, is in his athletic prime at only 27/28, thus should have another 3 years minimum of prime ability, and in this mock scenario it would be happening early enough in the offseason that an additional TE option could be brought in through the draft that fills a similar role as Hurst, with a couple more years left of team control than Hurst would provide at this point.

Keenan Allen has a top notch catch rate and has played 16 games each of the past three seasons, while going above 1000 yds receiving in 4/7 seasons to this point; making the pro bowl the last three. Boykin is a third round pick and Hurst is probably a 2nd/3rd Rd pick in a redraft, give me the pro bowler quite easily. The Chargers would even be foolish to consider this deal, but if they did...I’d pounce 10/10. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Danand said:

He has played every game of the past 3 seasons. No more injury prone than any NFL player is at this point. The idea of turning down a Pro Bowl caliber player because we think a backup TE is more important is as a contingency plan is crazy IMO. Hell, Hurst is all of 1 year younger than Allen, so it's even like we're talking about keeping youth in this case. The team-control element is nice but ultimately what we're talking about is calling a decent TE a dealbreaker when we're talking about the kind of playmaker who can bring this offense to a new level. 

I'll put it this way, I'd much rather go into next year with Keenan Allen and then sign someone like Nick Vannett and Trey Burton for TE depth than hold on Hurst, give him 30 targets next year, and then spend the offseason talking ourselves into some Nelson Agholor type breaking out for us. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 1

So atm. we are talking about dealing away two 4th round picks and Hayden Hurst for Allen who is on a 11 million something deal and will be an FA in 2021?

I prefer we find the receiver we need in the draft and use the picks. While we might pass the ball more in the future, that is still a lot of value for 6-8 targets a game. The "space" that Allen could create for other players are more difficult to put a prize/number on.

Adding a 2nd 4th rounder might make me reconsider, I might just prefer IRL to make that a 2021 4th rounder if need be because I don't like losing too many picks in one draft. And I think you most likely try to make negotiating with Allen for an extension a part of the deal. But knowing you probably get at least a 4th round comp pick back for Allen if he does leave after one year... then it's still a pretty good deal IMO. You're basically asking whether a 4th rounder is worth the price of a minimum 1 year of control of Keenan Allen over 2 years of control for Hurst (who I think absolutely leaves after his rookie contract is up to be a starter elsewhere). One of them is a much higher level of difference maker than the other and our Super Bowl window is now. Standing pat because we're emotionally attached to draft picks/get too worked up about our 2nd and 3rd string options at other positions is a mistake to me. 

When we traded for Boldin, he was in the last year of his contract and 2 years older than Allen is now and we gave up a 3rd and 4th rounder. So the price we're talking about now isn't drastically different if we value Hurst at around 3rd round value. I think a player like Allen has the potential to have Boldin-level impact for this team and I've already talked up trading for him beyond just this convo, so I'm certainly more bullish on him but I think a deal like this for playmakers that doesn't really hurt our draft capital or long-term cap flexibility in a dramatic way are no-brainers to get involved in. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 1